Whats the difference between 3817 and 3817t connecting rods for a Mercruiser 181???

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thank you for this, This is exactly what i was looking for. I talked with the builder today and he checked the rods out and will be able to re-machine them to be used. Not my first pick but much better than 250.00 each for new ones. definitely learned a lot over this process.

Nothing wrong with remanufactured (resized) rods if done correctly will be good as new

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
have your rebuilder check the dimensions against the SBC V8's (1981-1985)..... they should be the same. they are $47 rods from GM and cheaper from PC or Mahle

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
have your rebuilder check the dimensions against the SBC V8's (1981-1985)..... they should be the same. they are $47 rods from GM and cheaper from PC or Mahle

Thanks Scott, I will call him tomorrow, any idea if these are the wider version rods? mine are 1.030ish wide on the crank? You would think these measurements would be out there and easily accessible but I cannot seem to find them.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the dimensions should be available to the machine shop in their guide books. plus any machine shop worth its salt will have about 20 or so small blocks in stock as cores and a pile of parts

Fun Times

Staff member
^ To add to some of Scott's helpful advice above, In my searches for the odd GM crankshaft part number N383778 you have I also asked/email a well respected engine machine shop owner to try and locate any possible additional hidden manufacturer type info regarding your situation and asked him to view your topic and here was his 2 replies,

' Sorry for the long response time, I have been really busy at my shop.
I cant find anything exactly matching the number you have. I looked in my engine builders software and in several bearing catalogs. What exactly does he need to know ? '

" I took a quick look at the forum post. I don't have time to sign up to reply but his machine shop should be able to get him remanufactured rods from a company called B&P... The part number for the wide rod is 181M... The narrow rods are the same as late model 350 and 305 rods.

Personally I would have his guy resize his original rods if they are in good shape. If I have time later on this evening I might try to sign into that forum and reply but I have been slammed with work and usually ragged out when I get home. "
Bill

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
^ To add to some of Scott's helpful advice above, In my searches for the odd GM crankshaft part number N383778 you have I also asked/email a well respected engine machine shop owner to try and locate any possible additional hidden manufacturer type info regarding your situation and asked him to view your topic and here was his 2 replies,

' Sorry for the long response time, I have been really busy at my shop.
I cant find anything exactly matching the number you have. I looked in my engine builders software and in several bearing catalogs. What exactly does he need to know ? '

" I took a quick look at the forum post. I don't have time to sign up to reply but his machine shop should be able to get him remanufactured rods from a company called B&P... The part number for the wide rod is 181M... The narrow rods are the same as late model 350 and 305 rods.

Personally I would have his guy resize his original rods if they are in good shape. If I have time later on this evening I might try to sign into that forum and reply but I have been slammed with work and usually ragged out when I get home. "
Bill

Thank you, that's the route I am going.