What's the biggest motor you have ever pull started?

BJM

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This might belong in stupid human tricks but my boat would not start after 3 weeks of being idle. The relay clicked like a bad battery so I charged it. No luck. I always laughed at the emergency rope inside the hood of my 115 Mariner 4 cyl. As if anyone could pull start this thing cold I thought. Anyway, it was either try pulling or paddle a kilometer to the ramp.<br /><br />After about 10 brutally slow pulls, it coughed and spun a bit. I couldn't believe it. Primed it again, added more throttle and it started! Let it warm up, backed out and it died. Pull started it again. Yelled to the wife to meet me at the ramp since I didn't dare stop it. So with no hood I took off. Part way there the engine started running rough, I lost power trim control, but I made it. Only now I would have to climb in to some really cold water to open the trim's bypass to haul up the motor. I smacked the motor in disgust and suddenly the trim worked. Raised the motor, set the lock bracket, and it was dead again. Talk about luck.<br /><br />So what caused all this? A crappy ground connection at the battery. Apparently I was too smart to check the basics before diving into the details.<br /><br />So, what's the biggest motor anyone has ever pull started?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: What's the biggest motor you have ever pull started?

I had a 1963 Merc 850 85 horse inline six that had a built in pull cord. Like you, I laughed at it. I had even given it a few token pulls one time, quit confident I would throw my back out before that thing would start with the cord. I never needed it, but one day out of shear boredom I decided to see if it would start with the cord. I primed it, choked it manually, and after a couple good hard pulls the thing started right up. Needless to say, I was amazed. I have not tried to pull start my Merc 1250, I haven't been that bored yet, but one day I'll give it a shot...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have had occasion to rope start a Johnny 100 and a Johnny 150.<br /><br />I was much younger then. Don't think I would even try it now. Now I keep my batteries in good shape. :)

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class

BJM <br /><br />I used to have a 1970 four cylinder 50 hp merc that (I believe) came from the factory with pull start only. I used it that way for a season, then the next year I installed an starter motor.<br /><br />Back about 1968 I spent the summer working at a boat sales lot in Panama City Florida. They were a Johnson dealer-ship. One of the mechanics (I believe his name was John Fox) used to start 115 Johnson engines by grabbing the flywheel with his hands, and giving it a quick twist to start it up. I personally witnessed him doing this on more than one occasion. Granted, these were brand new engines, but this (at least to me) was an amazing sight!!<br /><br />What made this even more amazing was the fact that John was missing the three outside fingers on his right hand!! I never asked John how he lost those three fingers, I figured he had been starting engines this to many times!!<br /><br />The main point is - be careful aroung an outboard engine when the key is "On", it may start much easier than you expect.<br /><br />To specifically answer your question I have started an 85 horse inline six.<br /><br />Best Regards,<br /><br />Gold Bear ;)

ISkiH2O

Seaman Apprentice

115 HP Evinrude a couple times, the first just to see if I could. An old-timer taught me to loosen a couple plugs to make it turn easier. Once it starts tighten and connect those plugs. Only tried that once, yes it turned easier.

ehenry

Commander

Have pulled a 73 model Merc 500 on several occasions. Mainly on blistering cold mornings trying to go to the camp. She was hard to pull but always started purring after 4 or 5 strokes.

wtrojan

Seaman

My good friend rope started a yamaha two stroke 140HP, I also heard from my mechanic about a fisherman starting a yamaha two stroke 200HP this way. Did not see it, though :) <br /><br />On the other hand, several weeks ago saw a pal of mine – skinny, but otherwise fit individual in his 30s – being not able to pull the rope (needles to say – to start) the two stroke, warm, manual-start 70HP engine. I guess that’s not a bad idea to give it a try and rope start the electric-start engine, just to make sure we could do it in emergency as well. I sure will do.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

My mercruiser 470 (224cid, 170hp 4-stroke) had an almost dead starter and I pull started it a couple of times. Not sure if that counts as there was a little life left in the starter. I wrapped a rope around an unused pulley on the harmonic balancer.

kenneths

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you've ever owned, or been around a Force 125hp, chances are you have "roped" that one more than once.....My buddy had one that, well...acted like a Force. After still-fishing for a time, the engine wouldn't start, and he ran the batt down. I lifted the cowl, wound the rope on the flywheel, and after 3 attempts, it was running, (Forces didn't do much of this) and off we went. :)

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My old 85 hp Merc and my old 100 horse Chrysler. The old Chrysler was actually easy to rope start. Got a 120 Force and meant to try it but never did.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I would never want to start anything bigger than my 9.9 Gamefisher.I start it without problem but it is not an easy 9.9 to start.Sometimes I kid my wife(5ft5inches and 109 lbs) and tell her my hand hurts too much to pull the rope and can she do it.I love to watch her give it her best shot.she eventually gets it started but it is not easy.She almost cracked me in the face one time when she tried too hard and it slipped out of her hand.That was the last time I let her pull start it.Charlie

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

67' 65HP Merc. What a bear when it don't fire right away.

rogerwa

Commander

I used to regularly pull start my 50 hp Force. It worked just fine once warm. It wasn't until I pull started it at the dock side restaurant that my wife approved the funds for the new starter.

grampa's toy

Seaman

I had a 1964 100 hp. merc 6cyl it came with a rope pull, it was a bear back fired almost pulled me out of the boat.

BW23

Seaman

So that pull cord under the cowling on my MERC 225 EFI is kinda a joke?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Since you're only pulling over one cylinder at a time, it's really not that big a deal to pull over a large, multi-cylinder motor. Your average old Johnson or Evinrude 35hp from the 1950s was about 40 cubic inches, spread over 2 cylinders, meaning you're only pulling over 20 cubes at a time. A traditional Johnrude V6 crossflow runs about 150 cubic inches, spread over 6 cylinders, meaning you're only pulling over about 25-cubic inches at a time. Not a big difference, is there?<br /><br />Now, if you want a rip the handle out of your hand, can't open my fist for a week experience, try roping over a 44-cubic inche (50hp) Mercury set up for what's called Formula E racing. It's not the cubes that get you, it's the extreme timing advance! I've seen big guys howl in pain as they have the handle ripped out of their grip in mid pull. You get about 3/4 of a rotation with the rope, too, as anything longer might be lethal if the rope were to stay hooked in the flywheel. Starting one of these bad boys is not an experience you're likely to forget anytime soon...<br /><br />I've had my 20-cubic inche Mercury Mark 20H bark at me and leave my hand a crumpled mass. The timing on these racing engines is often set at full advance and it doesn't move with the throttle as on a service motor. That makes starting an exercise in brute strength...<br />- Scott

BillP

Captain

I rope started my 140 Johnson two times. One just to see how difficult it was and the second when the battery was dead. If all motors start within the first revolution you still use more energy pulling a 140 as you do with a smaller engine of same cubes per cyl. I think a pump up air starter like used on life boat motors would be cool for big outboards.

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

The last two times I had my 1999 Honda 90 out I had to rope start it, not to bad for a 7 year old battery and some nights in the 20's. Anyway I forgot about that rope that you get with them until it was in the water and I turned the key and no luck both times it started on the first pull and beleave it or not it was easer to pull then my 1984 20Hp rude!!!!!!!!!

bollard

Seaman

I have pulled a 200HP outboard. A good friend had run his battery down and I did not want to tow him back as we were heading out.<br /><br />The trick: I pulled three of the spark plugs and she fired up after a few pulls. Let it run at fast idle for about 10 minutes to charge the battery. Slapped the plugs back in and the warmed up engine fired up on the first bump of the starter!

wezie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If battery has any charge, have someone turn starter key as you pull the engine. With your help, the battery may keep it turning over long enough to start it.<br />Thanks for reminding about loosening the plugs.