What's the best way to put your own line on your reel?

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've had someone hold it with a pencil and I hold a towel right before the first (biggest) eye hole on the rod, then reel it in applying some slight pressure with the towel. Then I go to the lake or river where I won't get snagged and put an ok size weight that won't stretch or break the line and cast as far as I possibly can and reel back in. That usually gets it tight, but sometimes I get weird cluster type tangles in my line out of nowhere so I'm looking for a better way. I can go to my pro shop and they'll put the line on for me, but every time I go in there I spend money, so if I could avoid that and get my line on nice and tight by myself, it would be great. Any tips or methods that you use to line up your own reels?

axeman1988

Seaman
Re: What's the best way to put your own line on your reel?

well honestly i don't think there is a right way i just tie the line to the real and have it go through the biggest eye only and pinch the line in my hand and reel it on. if your using mono after a month or so you will get memory and that can cause tangles or as i call them birds nest. also if you use a bait that spins and you don't have a barrel swivel on it can twist your line up something fierce. and give you a birds nest from heck. i know i've made the mistake. as far as the mono memory you can limit its light exposure and heat exposure that seems to help keep the line a little longer from developing memory. but hey the line industry needs some draw back to keep selling the stuff and for us who use mono its blasted memory. and avoid the pro shop no need to waste hard earned cash on something you can do yourself.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

The idea is for it to come off the package spool onto the reel spool with the least twisting in the wrong direction. Put the storage spool on a pencil, label facing you. Flip your bail, run the mono through the closest eye to the reel. Attach the mono to the reel spool. Have someone hold the supply, or hold the pencil between your toes and start to spool. Light pressure, no towel, run the line between your fingers. Stop after several winds and let up on the tension. Observe what happens to the line on the spool. if it pops up and doesn't stay down reverse the supply spool on the pencil. If it comes off the supply onto the reel in the correct direction it should lay relativity neat on the reel spool. Nothing else needs to be done. Finish spooling. Put on a worm and fish. Also, To lose of a drag will raise cain with the spooling. Keep the drag adjusted up fairly tight while fishing.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

!!!

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

I put the spool on a dowel, balance the dowel on my feet so spool rubs the floor & pinch the line between my fingers. I read somewhere that someone puts the spool on a screw driver then stabs a tennis ball; mounts the screw driver in a vice and then pushes the ball against the spool. To each his own

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Silk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just do the old pencil or similar object thru the spool and holding the rod and spool in one hand, just wind the line onto the reel, nothing special.

I have to add though, I HATE Trilene's Trans Optic Monofiliment line, within a month I was changing it as it deteriated to the point that an 8 lb test could be broken between my hands without much force, this line was on a pole that wasn't left out in the elements when not fishing...okay, done with my product review ;)

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Here's a method you may like. If you use all stainless steel hardware, It will last forever. Take a piece of threaded rod about 16" long. Put a wing-nut, a large washer, a 3/4" diameter spring, and another washer. Next put on the spool of mono. Now another washer, spring, washer, and wing nut. Adjust to desired tension and secure the whole unit with a clamp, vice, or have a friend hold it while you reel in the line. The result is consistant line tension throughout the spool.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Most all line come with directions, and reading them will help a bunch. Certain lines need to be spooled certain ways. The method I use is to lay the new line spool down (on it's side) and start winding the reel, then relax the tension and see if you have twist, if yes, then flip new line spool over and continue. Mono is the worst, braided seems to be the best or easiest. Keep your mono out of the sun when not in use, it will last much longer. UV kills mono life!!

140hpjohnson

Cadet

I have a Berkly line spooling station, it was only about 20 bucks or so and it does a great job.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

I have one of those spool holders--holds 5 or so spools. I has rubber grommets with a hole to put the line through. I just put the line
through-clamp the holder down and start winding. I costs about 8 bucks and works great.