Whats the best type of wood to use?

thesignguy

Seaman
Hello all, I'm replacing the floor in my 88 Starcraft Medalist 1600 and am wondering what is the best type of wood to use to replace the flooring? I know I'll have to glass over the wood and I'm thinking of a hardwood like 1/2" Maple/Birch from Lowe's. Any suggestions? Thanks!
IMG00474.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Whats the best type of wood to use?

Welcome to Iboats..

Aye..the best is MG ply ( marine grade ).. You asked :) .

Can you use EX or something else ? .. dunno.. but for a little 16 footer I dont know how you would be saving cost.

Research here on Iboats and you will get a plethora of advise on what wood or other composites ..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats. Some info first. Since you are replacing your deck, you might want to be aware that this could indicate other issues below the deck. You might want to consider checking your stringers and your transom to ensure their integrity has not been compromised. In regards to your question about which wood to use, YD is correct that Marine Ply is the BEST, and the MOST expensive. Other alternatives are MDO, and Ext. Grade Fir Plywood. Both have 100% waterproof glue and will be more than adequate for your requirements. The Maple and Birch ply that you refer to is INTERIOR grade and is NOT suitable for your deck. They do NOT use waterproof glue in their laminations.

Bondo

Staff member

and I'm thinking of a hardwood like 1/2" Maple/Birch from Lowe's.

Ayuh,... While the Best to use is debatable, That Ain't even in the runnin'....

Don't use hardwood of Any kind...

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

If the boat is kept on a trailer and covered or garaged and
if you are setting this wood on fiberglass, then I would use treated, 3/4" B or CDX plywood. You might put something like Olympic'c Water sealer on it.

My 4 cents worth.

thesignguy

Seaman

Thanks for the quick reply guys, the stringers and transom look to be OK. I may have to replace one of the stringers but won't know 100% until I get the rest or the floor up. I am in the sign industry and have access to slew of wholesale exterior wood products. I was thinking of 3/8" MDO or A/C exterior fir. What are your thoughts on those types of flooring? Also, if I need to replace a stringer can I use the the MDO or fir too?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I really Like MDO cuz it saves you a TON on resin, since the panels are already resined. For a Deck I think it is the IDEAL material. 3/8" is a little thin IMHO. I'd go 1/2" Minimum 5/8 is ideal.

thesignguy

Seaman

Also found this, it's more expensive the the plywood but it's already finished!

4' x 8' x 1/4" | Grayish Blue | 20 lb density
Bluewater 20 | Coosa Composite Panel

Product Type: Coosa Composite Panels
Description: Coosa's Bluewater Series boards consist of High Density Polyurethane foam filled throughout with layers of continuous strand glass & woven roving fiberglass. The no-rot & light-weight advantages of foam combined with the structural properties of fiberglass make these an excellent replacement material for wood & other traditional core materials.

Bluewater 20 is an economical alternative to Bluewater 26, while maintaining the same superior stiffness & strength. 45% or more lighter than plywood. Used as a semi-structural component such as stringers, decking, millworks & exhibits

View attachment coosa_nautical.bmp

Bondo

Staff member

I really Like MDO cuz it saves you a TON on resin, since the panels are already resined. For a Deck I think it is the IDEAL material. 3/8" is a little thin IMHO. I'd go 1/2" Minimum 5/8 is ideal.

Ayuh,... Havin' formerly been a "Signguy",...

I agree, Woodonglass sums it up nicely....

1/2", 'n a layer of glass is what My deck is in the tinbarge,...
Before the glass, it was Tooo spongy...
5/8" woulda been Better, but was unavailable...

Personally, unless it's a Big barge, or spanning wide stringers, 'n bulkheads, 3/4" is overkill, 'n heavy...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You will NOT like the price on COOSA board. BUT... If you want to pay the price... It is QUALITY stuff. Kinda HEAVY though!!!!!!

thesignguy

Seaman

Geez, a 4'X8' sheet of 3/8" is 38lbs, 1/2" MDO is 50lbs and the 5/8" is 60lbs. I was trying to save a bit of weight but I guess the 1/2" is a "happy medium" but I'm going to call about the Coosa panels on Monday.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

The Coosa is fine....just pricey....not worth it in my book. I'm with YD on the marine grade, but just some exterior ply (poly and Matt each side) and it'll be there as long as you want that boat.

If you're going for max speed ( cutting weight) and cost does't matter Coosa is the way to go

( Wood, have you checked the weight of Coosa? I have some samples of it I can send ya...it ain't heavier)

thesignguy

Seaman

The specs on the Coosa for the 1/2" 4X8 sheet is 20lbs and it's $170 a sheet. I know a sheet of 1/2" 2 sided MDO is $43 and then the FG resin and the time to finish it. The Coosa seems a little overkill for this project, the wood and glass have lasted the last 22 years.....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

MY BAD. I thought I read somewhere it was heavier. ExCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!!!!!:facepalm:

thesignguy

Seaman

Hey no problem Woodonglass, I was getting the info from our sign supplier web site. Thanks for all of the input guy's, I don't want the floor getting soft on me in a few years. It's not really a pain but I would rather be on the water. Ya never know I might pass this on down to the kids......as long as they pay for the gas :facepalm: