What's the best thing you never did?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Me.<br /><br />Volunteered for the army at the minimum age of 17, or maybe earlier for entry at 17 as all I can recall is I did it at the earliest opportunity. Went through a day of tests that weeded the original 50 or so blokes of all ages down to 3. Other 2 blokes went into the office separately and came out. They were in. I went in expecting it was a done deal. Very nice recruiting major told me I'd done brilliantly on the tests but they'd like me to come back in a year and I was in. Only time I've felt something around my heart hit my navel in disappointment. I really wanted in. They were right. I was immature. Still am. <br /><br />If the army had accepted me I would have been a grunt in Vietnam a couple of years later. That's what I wanted, in my youthful idiocy. <br /><br />I don't think I had what it takes, although I thought I did then. <br /><br />I think if I'd survived, and the odds were very much in favour of that, I'd be one of the many blokes whose lives have been blighted to varying degrees ever since. <br /><br />My number didn't come up in the draft a couple of years later, which was by then a minor disappointment.<br /><br />Immaturity probably saved me from a lot of torment in what passes for my maturity.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: What's the best thing you never did?

The best thing I ever did???? I retired..... :)

dolluper

Captain

Me it didn't save my life it made it better. After leaving my second job out of school I was sent to carrier consualing and they proformed many tests to see what I should do in life [like fingger dixterity] and so on I told them I was interested in the mechcanial field Well the tests came back I was suited for Management and they wanted to send me on numerous corases they said I did not pass the finger dixterity test and was not suited for the mechanical field [the test was putting #4 washers on a pop rivet] They tried to talk me into the Management deal and being a young know it all buck I told them they were nuts and walked out { already at this point in life I had rebuilt a couple of motors and enjoyed working on them] So I went out got a job on my own as a apprentice mech worked there until I was licenced and found a better job provincal Gov and worked on getting a H/d diesel Licence Well I left there after 10 years and opened my own auto garaage had it for 20 years and now retired [sort of still play a bit] and to sum it up I never looked back and THOSE STUPID LITTLE WASHERS can still be troublesome contorting your hands to get them on I'm glad I followed my dreams

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Best thing I never did?<br /><br />In 1994 I was on a temporary assignment to headquarters of the corporation that owned the Tech College I was working at in Ft. Worth. It was in Long Beach, CA. I was rewriting the electronics curriculum for my school and the 30 other colleges they owned.<br /><br />I was offered the permanent position of National Director of Education, based in Long Beach. It would have more than doubled my salary.<br /><br />I turned the job down and came back to Texas and The Hideout when the writing task was done.<br /><br />Why was that the best thing I never did? Two years later the company shut down and sold off all of the schools. I would have been stuck in SoCal without a job at age 61. :(

SpinnerBait_Nut

The best thing I ever did was marry my wonderful wife 33 years ago.<br />Don't know where I would be today without her. :)

NYMINUTE

Captain

At 16 my friends wanted to steal a car, I was real good at unlock and hotwire. They really pushed it, so I coached the hotwire, they fired it up, and I said No, and walked off. Well they got caught 2 miles from the Bowling Alley. Both got busted, did a kid's strech in juvy. I was clean, they left me out of it. Glad I wussed out.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> At 16 my friends wanted to steal a car, I was real good at unlock and hotwire. They really pushed it, so I coached the hotwire, they fired it up, and I said No, and walked off. Well they got caught 2 miles from the Bowling Alley. Both got busted, did a kid's strech in juvy. I was clean, they left me out of it. Glad I wussed out.
I did some things that if I'd been caught would have got me, and a couple of my mates, where your mates ended up. Nothing real bad, just taking a few things that didn't belong to us from cars and shops. I'd probably want to impose the death sentence nowadays if someone did it to me, over a few bucks worth of property.<br /><br />Only difference between a lot of criminals and a lot of supposedly respectable citizens is who got caught and who didn't.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Tinkerer:.
I did some things that if I'd been caught would have got me, and a couple of my mates, where your mates ended up. Nothing real bad, just taking a few things that didn't belong to us from cars and shops. I'd probably want to impose the death sentence nowadays if someone did it to me, over a few bucks worth of property.<br /><br />Only difference between a lot of criminals and a lot of supposedly respectable citizens is who got caught and who didn't. [/QB][/quote]<br /><br /> Money is also a major factor in those who are convicted and those that are not.

JB

I have to go with SBN on what I did, vs. what I never did.<br /><br />The best and smartest thing I ever did was marry the mother of my children, 50 years ago this August, in Hawaii.<br /><br />Hope to take her back there this summer.

SoulWinner

Commander

Amen Lester!!!! The VERY best thing I EVER did was to marry my little sweetheart, Mrs SoulWinner on Dec 8, 1987.<br /><br />JB, hope you all have a nice trip!

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

The best thing I ever did?<br /><br />I would have to say the best thing I ever did was buckle my daughter into the car seat and take her home from the hospital three months after she was born. <br />She had so many problems when she was born we thought she might not make it.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> The best thing I ever did was marry my wonderful wife 33 years ago.<br />Don't know where I would be today without her. :)
Only 25 years for me, but easily my best (luck?) move to date. :)

Bob in Calif.

Ther best thing I ever did, was to end my general avation days, after my first son was born. I belonged to three flying clubs and really enjoyed the freedom of of the open skys.<br /><br />I took the money I used for flying and invested it as a nest egg for future college tuition. Now two of my three kids, daughter (older) and two sons have university degrees and one son a two year degree, who plans to go back for his 4 yr degree. <br /><br />The nicest part of the finanical end of this is, NO LOANS were taken to pay for any this. I always bought my vehicle's from private party's or estate auctions, took care of what was needed to make them reliable and clean, then turn most of them over quickly to add to the tuition payments. I did keep some of the nicer ones for personal and family use.<br /><br />Finally when the college fund was full enough to cover the education costs, I started to save for myself. I bought myself my first "brand new" car, a 1984 T-Bird, at 40 years old. When I brought it home, my wife said. "I thought you wanted the kind you have to shift?". She was right, but it was a T-Bird and it was brand new, but a Turbo Coupe is what I really had my heart set on. A year later I gave my "new" car to my wife. A few months later I found an 1984 Turbo Coupe,in near mint condition, with only 12,000 miles at a lein sale. The high bidder backed out of the purchase and I was able to get the T-Bird at my price.<br /><br />I still have the car and still enjoy driving it, as I highly maintain it and it has less than 80,000 original miles on it now. I guess that was my reward for planning ahead for my kid's. :D <br /><br />I hit 60 last year, but the first T-Bird is still the ONLY brand new car I have ever owned! <br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Best thing I ever did was to stop lying to myself, and become a real Christian, in both mind and heart. I'm stuck with this body tho....For now :)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Probably the best thing I NEVER did was finish college.<br /><br />Just wasn't for me, I finally gave up. My dad was the one who convinced me to give it up (no he wasnt paying for it:) ).<br /><br />I went to field position at my job, and my career has been great ever since.<br /><br />Ken

ob

Admiral

Chalk up another one for the marriage answer.My wife and children are my most cherished hobby.

D

DJ

Edit!!!!<br /><br />Just re-read. "Best thing I NEVER did"<br /><br />Hmmm.<br /><br />Never stuck up a liqour store.<br /><br />Never stuck up a bank.<br /><br />Never conceived, out of wedlock.<br /><br />Never killed anyone.<br /><br />The list goes on.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Personally- couldn't say<br /><br />Professionaly- besides starting up on my own here.. I was commisioned as an independant by a major building product manufacturer to assist their technical department in practical engineering practices of product specification within their design and engineering software.. basically made things easier and more cost effective for the carpenters and builders.<br /><br />other than that... I can still smash my fingers perty good with a hammer on occasion

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Whatever the best thing I never did is, I can say this for sure: I never did it with Angelina Jolie :)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I can't answer this that easily. I look at my ife like this.....Everything I have ever done is what made me what I am today. I have a lot of great things for myself, getting married, having 3 wonderful babies, going to college, quitting college, getting into Law Enforcement, deciding to take the step and investigate sex crimes, entering the narcotics unit when I first started. All of it adds up to who I am today. <br /><br />The very best thing I have ever done, I do every night when I leave for work and when I comne home. I kiss my children and my wife goodbye and again when I make it home. My kids are asleep when I do this last one, but it makes my life worth while every night.