What's in your Boat Toolbox?

Equis

Cadet
May be in the wrong section (Sorry Mods)<br /><br />I just have a couple of screw drivers, some pliers and some tape.<br /><br />I do of course have the usual saftey equipment. plus spare oil<br /><br />Any other tools that you guys think are a must have to carry?<br /><br /> :)

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What's in your Boat Toolbox?

vise grips and zip ties. I carry a screwdriver with changable tips so i only need one.

Clams Canino

Commander

OK - remember - YOU asked :D <br /><br />Boat's Box:<br />4 way screwdriver<br />long skinny flat blade for idle needles<br />zip ties<br />wire-cutter<br />electrical tape<br />double ended wrench to fit lock nuts on link and sync adjusters<br />plug wrench<br />prop wrench<br />square ended screwdriver to fit those new style hull screws that come loose<br />E-6000 or Marine Goop (Eclectic Prodcts)<br />V.O.Meter<br />10mm nutdriver<br />small pliers<br />1/2 pint TCW-3<br /><br />Operators box:<br />Super glue - for instant skin repairs<br />Condiment bag containg packets: salt/pepper/parm/ketchup/mustard/relish/onions/sub-oil/mayo etc. etc: for "treating" food on the fly.<br />Sugar packets: energy<br />Pizza to local ramp delivery coupons<br />1 mini-bottle Baccardi and 2 aspirin: for "game over" type water toy crashes<br />cheap sunglasses<br />Home burned CD of the Gilligans Island theme followed by "Smoke on the Water" (amuses guests)<br /><br />Cooler Check List:<br />6 Coke<br />3 beer<br />1 milk<br />1 energy drink<br />1/2 Italian Sammich<br />1 can black olives<br />1 small apple pie<br />2 wine cooler<br />2 water<br />1 fruit (varies)<br />1 ginger ale<br /><br />Safety box:<br />fire extinguisher<br />flares<br />whistle<br />2 meter radio<br />cell phone<br />flashlight<br />spare lighting bulbs<br />Tums<br /><br />-W<br /><br />Disclaimer: Not all items consumed or used on any one given day or week. The longer boat is on the water, the greater chance all the stuff will be seen, used, or need restocking.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> mmm<br /> a vhf radio,my towboat us card and enough cool beverages to last a breakdown.mostly i make sure my gear is ok before untieing.<br /> good luck and keep posting

jimalsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...And don't forget the Duct Tape."It isn't broke,it just lacks Duct Tape"

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A selection of Ziplock bags for most of the stuff above, the cellphone, boat paperwork, licenses and border crossing permits.<br /><br />2 sizes of Leatherman tools or quality copies, like Gerber.<br /><br />2 sizes of Sears RoboGrips.<br /><br />Good post, but it belongs in the Boats Forum. Going there.

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Needle nose vicegrips, Tie wraps , a couple of 2 inch long 1/4 " bolts and nuts 6 ft of # 14 wire. Quart of 2 stroke. Old pocket knife , multi screw driver. My dad gave me his old trolling motor, it fits up under the decking. Its a great piece of mind, I have never had to use it but it sure would make paddling easier ! The main tool in box is a roll of electrical tape , if MacGiver had ever used electrical tape, he would have had to have a roll of both !!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Printout of iboats "Engine Won't Start" FAQ <br />multi-meter<br />set of screwdrivers <br />set of wrenches<br />spare spark plugs<br />roll of 14 gauge wire & crimp style connectors<br />test leads & jumper wire<br />socket set<br />electrical tape<br />crimper & stripper & wirecutter<br />cable ties<br />pliers, needle-nose pliers, vise grip pliers<br />spare fuses<br />tube of 5200<br />jumper cables<br />some other junk I don't know whutall.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ice-pick<br /><br />Since the Sox beat the Yankees it's about to freeze over......... :D

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mine and JTexas' are about the same along with two sets of Allen Wrenches and a small and large pair of both vice grips and adjustable wrenches. I don't know what happened . I keep a roll (100 feet) of 12 guage wire on the boat too. Color won't matter if I need it and the one that's in there right now is Blue I think. I carry two sets of spare prop nuts and spacers/washers/cotter-keys too of course along with a spare prop. I have a couple of files in the tool box and a pair of bolt cutters. There is also one very large and long flat blade screwdriver that can be used as a pry bar. Duct Tape, gotta have Duct Tape. 5200, electrical tape, hydraulic fluid, oil, and of course a first aid kit and book (I also do an annual recertificaton on First Aid and CPR offered where I work). Oh, there's a spare anchor and 200 feet of line in there too.<br /><br />Thom

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

I started with one of those cheap ($29.99)bazzilion-piece tool kits that the auto stores have on sale all the time. Yeah, the tools aren't great, but they work fine for most jobs and are almost disposable. Add spark plugs, fuses, wire, multi-screw driver, fluids and spare light bulbs. <br />I find electrical tape more useful in many applications than duct tape (gasp! Treason!): it's more waterproof, won't separate and holds better. Comes in lots of colors, too. <br />Every boat should have a first aid kit as well as an emergency signal kit. Yup, extra anchor & rode, blankets, etc.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Spare belts and hoses and filters.....

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by phatmanmike:<br /> you forgot sunscreen. here in florida we use spf 100
Just a quick note about SPF ratings … the gov’t only requires testing for actual protection up to SPF 30. It’s ‘anything goes’ beyond that. A couple years ago a consumer group tested a bunch of expensive sunscreens rated at SPF 45+. Nothing came close to its rating, some as low as SPF 31.<br /><br />Best value in sunscreen is usually whatever SPF 30 is the cheapest to buy. You can’t count on any other sunscreen giving better protection. If SPF 30 is not enough protection (it isn’t for my hair-impaired head!) you may need to keep yourself out of direct exposure to sun.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No-one's mentioned a torch and a mirror yet, or a long,long light line....small baler, sheet of plastic, club (for stunning fish) ... good book ... pen and paper ...<br /><br />It goes on and on. Wonder some boats have any freeboard.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

In addition:<br /><br />A few extra of those infamous Merc blue plastic drain plugs and o-rings. I don't want to ruin a trip the next time out because I can't find them all or one breaks.<br /><br />An extra boat and trailer key. Again, hate to ruin a trip because you forgot to bring one.<br /><br />Trouble light probe for diagnosing trailer lights.<br /><br />Extra trailer bulbs.<br /><br />Trailer and boat registration.

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use old ammo can for tool boxes. (waterproof seals)<br />Spare prop for get me home. (I'am in the river a lot.)<br />cotter pins and shear pins for prop. (I run older motors.)<br />First aid kit<br />spare plugs<br />feeler gage for plugs<br />lower unit oil<br />motor oil<br />rope<br />right size screwdrivers and wrenches<br />registeration papers<br />electrical tape<br />heat shrink tape (makes great fuel line repairs)<br />can of fix a flat for trailer<br />never needed more and won't carry less.<br />Ray

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Most of whats been listed..<br />A lenght of fuel line.<br />Spare MAP sensor.<br />couple relays.<br />prop nut, cotter pin, and key.<br />prop puller.<br />hammer.<br /><br /> Must add a mask, snorkel, and fins..(i have a straight inboard)

gator79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heat shrink tubing to repair a fuel line. hummm a lighter to shrink it onto a fuel line? after that you may need that first aid kit.