What's for breakfast?

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Breakfast is one meal I never skip (even if I sleep in) - it sets you up for the day and I'm lost without it. I'm known to skip lunch on busy days, but never breakfast. A typical breakfast in the 62_Kiwi house consists of a combination of the following;<br /><br />Steaming hot bowl of porridge (in winter) (ARRR!)<br />or Bowl of Muesli (in summer)<br />Boiled or Poached Egg (1 or 2)<br />Toast<br />Multivitamin drink (or pills)<br />Cup of coffee<br />On occasion I've even had steak or fish ;) <br /><br />What do you do for breakfast ?

gonfishn

Commander
Re: What's for breakfast?

I was in Maryland for a couple days and had breakfast where they served what they called "scrapple".. I have had it before, but not the way those folks add to it..<br />When I left my fears were confirmed..I saw no Fat Puppies or Kitties around.. :eek: <br /><br />It was the Rams Head bar we went to that made me realize where I really belong..Not One ye haw song was sung..Just that colonial stuff they call music..

Stratosfied

Ensign

Hey kewi, what the heck is porridge(although I have heard of it), and I have no idea what Muesli is either?? Not poking fun at ya, I just don't know.<br /><br />My favorite breakfast would be about 3 eggs (chicken) over easy, some tomatoe gravy, a 'mess' of grits and oh lets say about 6 pieces of slab bacon, (not the stuff in the fancy packages), and two of my MoMo's Cathead biscuits, and some good syrup and some local jelly, be it mayhaw, pear or what ever.. Dang ya got me hungry now. I can fix it all except for the biscuits, as MoMo passed on 12 years ago, and I cannot for the life of me teach my wife how to fix them the same.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

At home we have either pancakes or waffles<br />(homemade of course)or<br /><br />Eggs,grits(or hashbrowns)and toastor<br /><br />Any one of the various cereals from the box or<br /><br />Omelettes with various fillings with grits or hashbrowns.<br /><br />These are almost always with bacon and/or sausage.<br /><br />When we have breakfast out I ALWAYS have corned beef hash with over medium eggs on top with hashbrowns.<br /><br />>>>>>>>HAPPY HOLIDAYS<<<<<<<

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It's funny, I love breakfast but I never eat it except on Sunday Mornings (brunch) and on campouts. On those occasions I make up for the rest of the time.<br /><br />Tons of thick sliced bacon, Costco link sausage or Jimmy Dean pure pork sausage. Occasionally I will do a thin sliced ribeye steak (medium rare please).<br /><br />Eggs scrambled, fried or omeletes.<br /><br />Hashed browns or diced and fried baked potatoes with onions and bell peppers.<br /><br />The sourest sourdough I can find, toasted with reeeeeeeal butter and jam.<br /><br />Orange juice or apple juice and coffee.<br /><br />Sometimes I will do pancakes using 1/4 Matzo meal (makes them dense and crepey) with real maple syrup.<br /><br />I also like a good corned beef hash but I can't make it and I seldom find it the way I like it.<br /><br />Mmm, Mmm! Glad tomorrow is Sunday.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I seldom eat breakfast, well, unless like this morn when there'll be some leftover applepie. :D

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Stratosfied, I'll tell you what porridge is, if you tell me what grits is (I've heard of that too - but don't know what it is) :) <br /><br />Porridge is a Scottish invention (I think) - it's made from Rolled Oats cooked in a pot with milk, water and salt. I usually pour it into a bowl hot (it's grey in colour) and then put some brown sugar and milk on it.<br /><br />Different people have different amounts of salt in it. They say the real Scottsmen just pour salt on it in the bowl - instead of the brown sugar.... :rolleyes: <br /><br />Muesli is a breakfast cereal with lots of grains, dried fruit etc mixed into it. There's lots of different varieties.<br /><br /> http://www.dictionary.com says "A mixture of usually untoasted rolled oats and dried fruit, often used as a breakfast cereal."<br /><br />So what is grits ? :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One thing nice about being old and living alone is one can discard long held traditions and replace them with whatever comes to mind.<br /><br />What to have for breakfast, for exaample.<br /><br />Two things are always there: A banana, wedge of melon or an apple and coffee.<br /><br />Then it could be a couple of NutriGrain Eggos with honey and butter and two or three patties of Jimmy Dean's Hot sausage.<br /><br />It could also be a steak (broiled) and a couple of veggies, a big bowl of chili con carne or venison stew, cold pizza. . . whatever strikes my fancy.<br /><br />Eating the banana now. After the apple I will broil about 1/2lb of extra lean ground sirloin and nuke some broccoli and carrots.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) It's eggs and bacon this morning, with OJ and coffee!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />Happy Holidays!!! :cool: :cool:

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Grits come from corn. Actually it is ground up corn with the chaff blown off. To cook boil water with grits until you have a pasty consistency left. Mostly found in the southern parts of the states.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

My wife has bacon frying and going to cook up some eggs. How do you want yours? Over easy? Sunny side up? Scrambled?<br /><br />Eggs, Bacon, and a cup of coffee... *sigh* the ultimate wake up method! :) <br /><br />Butch A.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Come on now GF Scrapple is good stuff. I have it on good authority that no puppies or kitties are in it. I love the stuff slathered with a nice coating of applebutter.

crab bait

Captain

the word breakfast comes from break fast.. to break the 'fast(ing) in the morning of the last meal prior night..<br /><br />always had the policeman special.. donunts ,pastry an coffee.. for years.. it's fast ( just stop at a convienance store on way to the job ).. <br /><br />but since on the 'south beach lifestyle diet.. an GOOD breakfast is desired.. <br /><br />i osolate everyday.. 2 fried in olive oil eggs with asspragrass, portobella mushrooms an bell pepper.. with old bay an tobasco.. coffee..<br /><br />next day ,, steel cut oats with freshmade ( amish made ) peanut ,or almond ,or cashew, or sunflower butter.. peppermint leaves, vietnamese cinnamon, nutmeg, an carob powder, anise seeds.. an splenda..<br /><br />GONFISHIN' guess you enjoyed your trip to eastcoast.. <br /><br />i see you got your indocturnation with the 'scrapple cerrimony..'belive me,, many-a-hearty soul has failed.. <br /><br />scrapple is in just a 100 mile ring of philadelphia.. it's scraps mostly from cows an pigs an mostly ***holes & lips.. but it SURE IS GOOD..!!

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Grits are made from "hominy".The germ(white inside part)of the kernels is soaked and swells to 3to4 times its normal size.It is then dried and ground to its packaged consistency.<br /><br />Retnav has the cooking part pretty close but left out the butter.<br /><br />Those folks in Texas ought to know about "Texas Grits"otherwise known as Fried Hominy.<br /><br /><br />>>>>>>>HAPPY HOLIDAYS<<<<<<<

D

DJ

Pizza!<br /><br />There is no finer breakfast than left over pizza.<br /><br /> :D

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Most mornings my breakfast is a pot of coffee, with a light lunch but supper is a real affair.<br /><br />A breakfast around here when I do it usally consits of: Pancakes, Eggs, Heavily Buttered(Real)toast, Homade Elk breakfast sausage or Sidepork fried with salt and pepper aka Fatback. <br /><br />I Must admit though my kids eat cold ceareal all to often for my licking, dad just usally don't get breakfast done up right.<br /><br />Once a week or so though I will cook an all out breakfast at supper time (I did say I love it) that often includes other breakfast delacacies as well. Hashbrowns, waffles with whipped cream and berries, panacookin's etc...<br /><br />Wouldn't be a breakfast thread till someone mentions Bisquits and Gravy (Meat Gravy) another of my favorites but don't cook it all that often (5-6 times a year) Usally when I have a crowd around.

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice

wow this thread is making me hungry. <br /><br />i wish i could have all this stuff, but im stuck with what my college gives us: eggs(fake i think) sausage links, bacon, cereal, bagels, orange juice(from the soda machine).<br /><br />i like lots of eggs with ketchup sometimes, a few peices of bacon a big bowl of raisin bran with soy milk, maybe a bagel with cream cheese and OJ.