Whats a spreader light? How does it differ from a flood light?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Whats a spreader light? How does it differ from a flood light?

A spreader light is a courtesy light mounted to the spreaders on a sailboat mast. They're basically small floodlights pointing down.

phatmanmike

Captain

um, no.<br /><br />spreader light sare the lights that i see on my buddy's t-top, and everybody elses t-tops, and tuna towers and hard tops. they are just a fancy name for a bright light that covers a wide area, hence the name spreader.<br /><br />they can be used on any tipe of boat, not just sail, or power, or etc

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Um, Yep!<br /><br />I take it you're not much into sailboats, eh myoutboards. They were used on sailboats long before anybody ever thought of radar arches on powerboats. Or even Radar for that matter.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with WillyBWright. The term spreader comes from sailboating, not from the fact that the light covers a wide area. There are many nautical terms that have old sailing origins.

BillP

Captain

Sailboat masts have spreaders on the mast. Spreaders keep the "standing" wire distanced from the mast to equalize compression loads. Spot/flood lights are mounted on the spreaders and point down to deck. Normally 12V and look like a small automobile headlight bulb. In the sailing world known as "spreader lights". Same bulbs are used on power boats. Like already posted, spreader lights were on sailboats before radar was even invented.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Yes they are just another name for a flood light. Lights will cover a wide area like a flood light, not a small area like a spot light. Sailboat do use them but I see many more in use on trolling boat traulers. They are mounted up high and are pointed out to your spreaders, (outriger poles used to spread your trolled fishing lines). All the commercial Salmon boat use then to tell when one of there lines has and hit or a Fish on. <br /><br />Bottom line just another name for flood light.