whatda heck.. no payed vacation/holiday

crab bait

Captain
in the paper today.. said the USA is one of the few industrialized nations without a minimum paid-leave law used by workers for vacation..<br /><br />here's the list.. of after 3 years..<br /><br />australia > 20 days<br />canada > 10 days<br />china ( for CRYIN' OUT LOUD ) > 15 days<br />france > 25 days<br />italy > 20 days<br />u.k. > 20 days<br />usa > none/zero/zip/nada/getbacktoworkyoulazyslacker..whiss crack,, whis crack ..!!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: whatda heck.. no payed vacation/holiday

yea .. it's a dang shame but, go figure, now the Feds are cutting over-time from hundreds of thousands of workers to boot! <br /><br />I wonder how most of these people/families are going to take it being over extended already.<br /><br />most people now-a-days get 2-weeks paid vacation from the start...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

That's all we need, is to have the Federal Government dictate how much vacation we should get. Talk about a nanny state! <br /><br />Government mandated paid vacations couldn't have anything to do with the abysmal employment rates that most of these countries have, could it?

f_inscreenname

Commander

I have been a sub-contractor since I got out of school. It has always been no worky, no eaty.

crab bait

Captain

by 'abysmal' standards,, it's pretty abysmal right here.. <br /><br />it's just worker's rights.. as in workers comp, unemployment, overtime ( well scratch that soon ), minimum wage, an how about a minimum vacation as a minimum ,,that's all

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

even an opressive employer like walmart gives 15 days after 3 weeks to full timers, self employed need to take a course in cost management if thier rates dont cover similar time off.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

You'r not going to believe this, but here in Aussie, not only do they get 4 weeks off (20 days, plus public holidays in double digits) we have to pay a LEAVE LOADING. <br />That is 17.5% you have to pay them extra, on top of their wage, while they are on holiday. <br />It is to compensate for any overtime they may have missed out on. <br />We also have to contribute a minimum of 9% of their Gross Wages to compulsory Superannuation. That is fair enough. They went without 9% wage increases years back, so they get it in Super rather than weekly wage.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral

Hi Phil, good to see you're online again.<br /><br />In Victoria (I thought Australia wide) the 17.5% loading is not compulsory anymore but it is sometimes offered as a sweetener in a salary package.<br /><br />The 4 weeks compulsory holidays applies after 12 months of employment but it is often highly negotiated as part of a package - less holidays means more cash. <br /><br />Its worth noting that, generally speaking, our pay rates are lower than the U.S. but our cost of living and workers benefits are better. What you loose on the swings you gain on the merry-go-round.<br /><br />Aldo

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am just glad I own my own business and can take off when I please and the money still comes in. :)

Link

Rear Admiral

I want Spinners job :D <br />Actually Ive had it. When we owned the shop my partner and I agreed on two weeks a year and took off at different times. So we both got paid vacations. We also did that for employees. But that was our choice to make! NOT the goverments.<br /><br />I have never had a job in the last 20 years when working for others that paid me for being on vacation. Except when hiring on for a salaried job. And then I was just up front.. I'm going to be gone for a week in the spring for fishing. June I'll be gone from friday to tuesday for a convention.. summer will be a week for family and a week in the fall for hunting.. other than that I'll give 110% 5-7 days a week whatever it takes.<br />Always was hired and it worked out.<br />When working for wages I never did the Summer week<br /><br />Just my thought on it.

crab bait

Captain

in my racket,, the IBEW,,there's no payed holidays or vacation.. since a worker can work for many contractors during a year's time.. it's not fair to the contractor to have to foot-up the vacation check at time of leave..<br /><br />but we do have a vacation fund.. it's a percentage.. around 80 bucs a week..more if O T..<br /><br />it helps.. lots of fellas use it as a xmas fund.. <br /><br />i use it for 'madmoney'..

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I get 2 weeks right now and just about every federal holiday and the day after thanksgiving along with 2 floaters plus sick time and i work 4 days a week. I don't want the federal goverment stepping in and screwing it up

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I feel that americans should have mandatory time to spend with their familes. I have several friends that are forced to work mandatory overtime. Within the factory that they work at, several hundred employees are required to work overtime.<br /><br />I think they should be hiring more people to put into the work force and then let the over worked employess spend time with their families.<br /><br />I have complained about this situation for years. Forcing people to work far too many hours is just about the same as slavery.

gaugeguy

Captain

I get three weeks vacation (2 for the first 5 years, 3 from 5-14 years of service and then 4 weeks after 15 years. 2 years to go for 4 wks) and 10 paid holidays. I have waited too long for that 4th week, I really hope nothing screws it up.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Many countries that have these laws are rethinking them.<br /><br />In my opinion, the less the government intrudes in my life, the better.<br /><br />If you want paid vacation ,find a job that gives you that.<br /><br />Ken

DustyJacket

Seaman

Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT:<br /> I feel that americans should have mandatory time to spend with their familes.
Noooooooooooooooooooo !<br /><br />(My daughter is 12 going on 30 and I don't want anyone forcing me to be with her when she is running with a 'tude.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hang in there Dusty, another 6 years and you'll be smart again. :D

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

SsMayfloat wrote: I have complained about this situation for years. Forcing people to work far too many hours is just about the same as slavery. <br /><br />Slaves are not paid for their labor. Slaves are not allowed to leave anytime they want to. There is a big difference there. I suspect many of these people do not want to spend time with their families.<br /><br />We maybe could afford more vacation time if we didn't have half of what we make stolen by a bloated and ever increasing government.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Without trying to be offensive, I would have to disagree with Mayfloat 100%. Just as employers get to choose their employees (to some extent), we as the employees get to choose our employers. If a person is not willing to work overtime, they are free to quit at any moment.<br /><br />I firmly believe in OSHA and safety regulations. But beyond that, the company should be able to make any rules they see fit (within reason). If an employee has a problem with a company policy of a 60hr work-week, the employee can quit. If they have a problem with the pay-scale, they can quit. If they have a problem with a company-mandated workday on Christmas, they can quit. If they have a problem with the vacation policy, again, they can quit. Nobody is forcing those employees to work there.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Some here have really shown their true colors in their quest for a Nanny State. I guess that is why the Democrats have made such inroads. Even those with otherwise conservative values are willing to sell their souls, for such a cheap price. What's next, guaranteed toilet paper for life? Grow up/wake up. Europe took this road and now have to sell their individual souls to the the EU just to keep up. They've turned their populations into begging masses that they are less and less able to keep coddled.<br /><br />This is not the kind of attitude that put America on top of the heap and it won't be the kind of attitude that will keep it there.<br /><br />When Crabbait started this post he should have posted the unemployment rates of all those countries.