What Years

dolluper

Captain
Re: What Years

Hummm no Model-t fans Funny to think without them we might not be where we are today, not to say they started things but they sure got the ball rolling

TilliamWe

Banned

dolluper, you have a point.<br />But maybe my favorite car of all time is a Dusenburg. When you consider that in the 1920's those guys had overhead cam engines, when other didn't even have overhead valves, they were WAY ahead of their time. I give them props!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> Hay Ken if your keeping that Lasalle orginal I have an old motors book that covers alot of the oldies .I can help you out with spec's if you don't have one already
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. <br /><br />Ken

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The interceptor or goss special was good but gotta go for the GTHO pahse 3<br /><br />There both fords, not bad for someone that drives<br />a Holden (GM)<br /><br />GR

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I have to agree with the new tech, the newer cars are amazing on hp to weight ratio. Put those new motors in old iron and see what they do!<br /><br />New cars today can only rattle your cupboards with their sound systems. The old muscle cars would rattle your whole house with those big cubes under the hood.

D

DJ

I have to agree with todays cars being better. No doubt. I do not miss pumping accelerator pedals to prime an engine and hope it doesn't flood.<br /><br />I'll admit that todays cars don't have the individuality of yesteryear.<br /><br />Attitudes toward cars have changed too. Teenagers today are not interested, like they used to be. A car is seen with the same importance as a toaster or a vacuum cleaner. Just a necessity.<br /><br />I think allot of us on this board are of the age range that we have a soft spot in our hearts for one of the 50's, 60's, or 70's beasts.<br /><br />I believe allot of that has to do more with other things that were going on around us. Not necessarily the merits of a particular car.<br /><br />I agree somewhat on the old 4WD's being better. With a disclaimer. 4WD's are easier to use today, than ever. Yet, for some of us purists, I miss lockout hubs and transfer case gear levers. :D

D

DJ

dolluper,<br /><br />Oh yeah. A little before my time. My brother had a 55 Buick that started that way.

HotLava

Seaman

1970 SS Chevelle 396. Lighter block than the 454, shorter stroke, so quicker revs, lower torque but if geared right ;-)

dolluper

Captain

The 46 Chevy Chiefstar pickup that I learn't how to drive had one and still does. Still own it my Dad gave it to me it took me 3 years to retore it He wouldn't let me touch his 38 Dodge flat head pickup it was his pride and joy I'm not that old we just kept things on the farm a L--O--N---G time

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> .... Yet, for some of us purists, I miss lockout hubs and transfer case gear levers. :D
My 1999 L/C still has 'em. :D :D :D :D

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Old Ferrari or Jags, V-12 with 6, thats right 6 Weber carbs. and you couldn't beat that long hood look.

eeboater

Commander

I think that the lack of interest in cars by teenagers can be attributed to the type cars being produced nowadays. Have you seen under the hood of a late-90's Camaro or Firebird? Its covered up with so many plastic cowls that any teenager would be intimidated too much to tear into them. I mean motors are intimidating the first time you tear them apart... believe me, I'm going through that right now!! But to throw in Fuel injection, emissions, blah blah blah garbage you never saw on the older machines, you make them virtually "un-tinkerable."<br /><br />Sean

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

This falls into the "Like Best" catagory. Mid 60's through vary early 70's. Owned a couple of 70' Road Runners. One 440 Six Pack with 4 speed and 4:10 posi. Would shift from third to fourth at around 110 mph. Never pushed it much past that. Driven my fair share of go fast, touring sedans. Caddy's SST, BMW 3, Mercedes 500 series, unmatched ride and handling with outstanding acceleration. Also had the good fortune of driving a tuned up Dodge Viper, only thing that can be said is OOOOH MYYY GODDD. With the exception of the Viper, none had the low end tire turning straight line pull of the old Plymouth. Just don't try to stop or turn to fast!

D

DJ

Achris wrote.<br /><br />
My 1999 L/C still has 'em. <br />
Not in the USA. To my knowledge.<br /><br />If they were, it was a USA sales foible.<br /><br />We, in the USA, like our buttons. :D

D

DJ

Oops, double post.<br /><br />Did I mention my fantasies about making this laptop a frisbee?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

DJ wrote: "I agree somewhat on the old 4WD's being better. With a disclaimer. 4WD's are easier to use today, than ever. Yet, for some of us purists, I miss lockout hubs and transfer case gear levers."<br /><br />I have an 03 Ford F250 Super Duty With the above mentioned lock out hubs, and manual transfer case. Ordered it equipped that way. I guess I fall into the purists class...I've been labeled a lot of things but that’s a first!

D

DJ

L-T.,<br /><br />Not available in lighter models. :( <br /><br />Your F-250 is a REAL truck.

dolluper

Captain

Almost half here go for the 60's hummm would the average age work out to 45 years old TOO probably

achris

More fish than mountain goat

DJ,<br /><br />The L/C with live front axle and free-wheeling hubs is only available in Australia and Saudi Arabia.<br /><br />Chris..........