What year LU will swap on OceanRunner 225?

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer
I am going to help a buddy replace a LU on a 1990's v6 225hp ocean runner. Since the motor is rough he wants to roll the dice and buy a cheap used one. What year LU will swap in for the trashed one on his motor? Anyway to id the diffrences if there are any?

Mac

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What year LU will swap on OceanRunner 225?

i think it was 92 for the break up old verse newer newer versions had the o ring but hopefully someone will chime in with spefics

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

1991 and newer loop charged V6s usually have the two part drive shaft.

You need to get the model number of the motor.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A V6 unit from 79 and newer will work. If your unit has an O ring on the driveshaft and you use a newer unit there will be no O ring. In that case just make sure you grease the splines.

If your driveshaft has no O ring (it'll be on the bottom of the crank) and you use an older unit with an O ring it'll just get pushed out of the way when you install the unit (if you leave it on).

The main difference between a crossflow V6 unit and a looper V6 unit is the shift shaft. Yours will unscrew so you can easily install it in another unit if you have to.

Any V8 unit will work, it just has a taller gear ratio and is bigger.

A V4 unit from 79 on will work but has a lower (2:1) ratio and uses a smaller diameter prop. The case is smaller too.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

Perfect, that is just what I needed to know. The LU I am going to look at in the AM should work.