What year and HP Merc 500

RobG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
101
Hello everyone!<br /><br />Today I picked up a 1971 Glastron v-147 with a Merc 500 s/n 2477646. I was wondering what year this model is and if it is a 50HP. Is it also a good motor?<br /><br />Robg
 

blwood11

Cadet
Joined
Oct 30, 2005
Messages
20
Re: What year and HP Merc 500

have one myself:many trial and error, let me know if you can learn from anything i've done(or not done)
 

RobG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
101
Re: What year and HP Merc 500

Laddies,<br /><br />I haven't studied the motor thoroughly yet, do you know if they had a charging system?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Robg
 

Laddies

Banned
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
12,218
Re: What year and HP Merc 500

If it has CD ignition it will have for sure, if it is magneto ign. ck and see if there is 2 yellow wires coming from under the flywheel to a rectifier
 

RobG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
101
Re: What year and HP Merc 500

Laddies,<br /><br />I checked last night and noticed the 2 yellow wires connecting to a blue/green rectifier. What aftermarket repair manual would you recommend for this one?<br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />Robg
 

Laddies

Banned
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
12,218
Re: What year and HP Merc 500

Rob, I hate to say it but most aftermarket manuals are just so much a$$wipe
 
Top