What would you put in a small outboard repair kit?

Striek

Cadet
I'm spending the evening planning a backcountry trip with a 14' tinny and my 7.5 Mercury and thinking of all the things that could go wrong. I'm looking at the boat toolbox I carry in the boat on overnighters, wondering if anyone else has any ideas for what to carry.

It's for engine repair currently but I may expand it to include things to repair damage to an aluminium hull. Here's what I have in my low top steel plumber type toolbox (nice and easy to strap to a seat):
  • Fuel line (I had my fuel line crack once and spray fuel all over me when I tried to prime the engine, rendering the engine unstartable. I'm stupid enough to smoke, but thankfully, not stupid enough to ever smoke while starting an outboard.)
  • Hose clamps (see above)
  • Pipe cleaners (cleaning grease/dirt out of the cooling lines is the only use I can think of here, perhaps some quick&dirty carburetor cleaning, but nothing works better than pipe cleaners for cleaning the cooling lines)
  • Miscellaneous electrical connectors
  • Multimeter
  • Clamp meter
  • Spare plugs
  • WD-40, rust penetrant, and gel lubricant (they came in a three pack)
  • Vise® grips
  • Electrical tape
  • Screwdrivers (yes, even a couple of robertsons, I'm Canadian, after all)
  • Sidecutters, linesman's pliers, and needlenose pliers
  • 25' spool of 12 guage wire
  • Small bundle of cable ties
  • Medium size adjustable wrench
  • Blue thread locker
  • Channel Locks® - or tongue & groove pliers (mostly to take the ridonculously tight cap off my marine tank)
  • Medium rubber mallet
  • Heat shrink tubing of various sizes
  • A few miscellaneous dental picks
  • Wire strippers
  • Various fuel-rated o-rings
We have also recently attempted to start using reusable straws. They need to be cleaned with a special cleaning brush that may work better than the pipe cleaners.

I'm taking my 14' tin can and 7.5hp Mercury for its biggest trip yet this year, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for something I should add, or perhaps something that's really unnecessary...

My apologies if this has already been asked and answered, or if this is the wrong forum (it's kind of a repair question, but there's no problem to speak of yet). Just point me to the right thread. I'm new here.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?----Clean underwear perhaps.--Bear spray for everyone.-----But go for it , it sounds like a wonderful adventure in the planning stages.-----Post some videos when you get back.

Striek

Cadet
Clean underwear is like clean socks - always take too many.

We have bear spray and bangers in spades. I'd take a shotgun but it's a game preserve. As for the videos, you assume that a) I will survive this crazy idea, and b) I will not be cast out of this place for being a total asshat 😜

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the year of the motor, a lot of the stuff you listed may not be useful. Motors tend to run until some electronic component fails, or you break something. If an electronic component fails, you won't have a spare or the ability to install a spare.

Certainly take hand tools and some fuel line, clamps and wire ties. A couple of spark plugs, some jumper wires and electrical tape. A satellite phone comes to mind.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Use an older OMC product ( 18 / 20 HP ) with the universal magneto.------Those were a dual system.----Each cylinder has it's own ignition system.-----If one failed then the other would get you home.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Well, being Canadian, you must know about Duct tape, "the handyman's secret weapon",

Spare prop and wrench.
Spare impeller and needed tools to change it.

And a Sharpie marker, to put an "X" on the side of the boat to mark the location of any good fishing spots you find. :)

Striek

Cadet
What the what? Americans don't have Duct tape? I mean, I know you Yanks were backwards, but I had no idea you were that backwards. The duct tape is actually in the general repair kit instead of the boat toolbox.

I'll be picking up a spare prop in the spring. I spent all day calling every marina and shop within two hundred miles to finally find one. And when I take the boat out of winter storage I'll have a look and make sure I have the correct prop wrench, one that floats. Realistically I should take an extra prop nut as well, in case it falls to the bottom of the lake.

As for a satellite phone, we will be taking an InReach. I hadn't considered taking a spare impeller though, thanks.

I believe the engine to be a 1979 - 1981 model.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I don't know the year or model of your motor, so some of these things might not be necessary...

- fuel filter
- shear pins for the prop
- spare rope pull in case the recoil breaks

Striek

Cadet
I don't know the year or model of your motor
1979-1981 Mercury 7.5.

I was debating on the fuel filter, the shear pins I'll pick up when I pick up the spare prop, but I hadn't considered a spare rope pull - thanks.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
1979-1981 Mercury 7.5.

I was debating on the fuel filter, the shear pins I'll pick up when I pick up the spare prop, but I hadn't considered a spare rope pull - thanks.
It was a very hot day and both engines had just undergone their 5 year major service. The main engine failed. No problem, right? Just drop the kicker and just go home a little slower.

As I primed the fuel bulb, gasoline went spraying all over the place. The $3 plastic fuel filter cracked in the heat. Not going to start that motor today. The main suffered from a bad condenser, which was brand new and installed just the day before. My electrical guy said bad condensers are 1 in a million.

53 years owning a boat - that was the 1 and ONLY time I ever got towed back to port.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
cell phone and boat US towing membership

Striek

Cadet
cell phone and boat US towing membership
Considering we'll be beyond both cellular service and US territory, I doubt wither of those will be useful...

As for the shear pin - you're right, it may not have one. The prop does stop if it gets too tangled with weeds or fishing line, which suggests it has another method of disengaging to prevent damage? I'll certainly look for it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In practical days long gone , they used 19 cent shear pins.----But you had to put up with the inconvenience , had to have spares and tools.------OMC went to steel drive pins that did not shear.----Mercury went to splines and called it shear proof drive and that feature sold a lot of motors.-----You now hit rocks and keep going.-------Buy a new $200.00 / $500 prop when you get home.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look into a 24' freighter canoe.----Carry everything and everybody.-------Talked to some folks that go a week at a time with a couple of them in and around the famous ---" North Channel ".-----Captain said that most folks are amazed how fast they go with 10 paddlers / canoe.

Striek

Cadet
Look into a 24' freighter canoe.----Carry everything and everybody.-------Talked to some folks that go a week at a time with a couple of them in and around the famous ---" North Channel ".-----Captain said that most folks are amazed how fast they go with 10 paddlers / canoe.
I'd love to but a 24 foot canoe is not a possibility right now. It would be awesome, especially if I could take a few nieces and nephews. This trip would actually be perfect for a freighter canoe. But alas, I have neither the budget to buy one nor the space to keep one.

Wait - by "North Channel" - did you mean the French River in Ontario?

Last edited:

dwco5051

Commander
Clean underwear is like clean socks - always take too many.
Use your wife's vacuum sealer to pack at least one set of underwear and socks. Takes less room in the pack and will stay dry no matter what happens.

tpenfield

Staff member
Gummy Bears, in case you get hungry while replacing the impeller on the lower unit. :D Oh, did I mention a set of open ended/ box wrenches and an impeller? I think you will need 3/8" - 5/8" size wrenches.