What words do(es) your dog(s) know?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Our labs know a variety of words and it is NOT all tone of voice.<br /><br />Our male (Bear) knows bowl, ball, bye bye, toy, treat, eat, potty, coyote, bunny, Molly (girlfriend) and our kid's names plus the F word . . . frisbee. We actually call it "F" as it is just not fair unless you plan to partake.<br /><br />Our female (Maggie) knows the above plus lizard and Ranger (boyfriend).<br /><br />I can absolutely prove that Maggie knows the difference between lizard and bunny and that Bear knows the difference between bowl and ball. When told to "get the lizard" she looks up the exterior walls of the house where they run to hide from her. When told to get the bunny she will immediately check the fence. And Bear is similar with ball and bowl. No tone of voice difference, no pointing, etc.<br /><br />
100_0017%20Compressed.jpg

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What words do(es) your dog(s) know?

My cats know a lot of words, how else could we have our long talks?

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

I have three dogs: one German Shepherd Cross and two Springer Spaniel/Black Lab crosses (brother and sister) :rolleyes: <br />They know lots of words (some they shouldn't: like they know when "daddy" has just whacked his thumb with a hammer :( <br /><br />The amazing one is "bedtime": they go crazy, run to the back door, go out, do what they have to do and then come back in and go straight to sleep........<br /><br />Now if only I could teach "her indoors" that trick I'd be a happy man :D :D

ZmOz

Captain

I just have to whisper "car ride" to my beagle/basset hound mix (bagel :) ) and he will not stop running around and whining until I drive him somewhere. Say "food" and he comes running immediately. He knows "bed time" means out to the garage to go to sleep. If I put him in the garage and don't say "bed time", he'll whine and bark until I let him out or say it. If I say "go get 'em!" he'll immediately run out to the yard and start barking...even if there's nothing there. :)

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

All I have to say is SQUIRREL and my lab and lab boxer mix bolt out the door. I've really got to stop doing it because they're beginning to catch the stupid tree rats! If somebody says "fly" both the dogs begin running around the house looking for flies. (They can catch them too.) I agree that it definatley isn't the tone of voice, the dogs actually learn words.

Ron G

Commander

my 2 dogs now get the ball,stick,lay down,bedtime treat icecream,shutup,and most of all lets go to town they love to ride in the back of the truck.

NYMINUTE

Captain

My Chocolate Lab knows everything...I mean really everything. If I spell Walk, Truck, or Chews, she gives me the "Great Idea, Lets do it!" look. My Great Dane just waits til the lab is excited then she joins in. It is difficult having a lab. Their IQ is higher than mine.

D

DJ

Black lab.<br /><br />Knows: Treat, night night (goodnight), sit, stay, lie down, shake, kitty, ride, mommy (wife), daddy (me), boys names, hungry, water, outside, help you (my wife says that when my son is teasing her-she helps her "get" my son-a big game they play), ball, bug, plus many, many more.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I’ve got a male Chocolate Lab he is very well trained. I use him to retrieve waterfowl, and to hunt upland birds (pheasants and quail). He knows voice and hand signals "fetch, over, woo, hunt dead, here, back, (back is the command used if he stops short of were the bird fell and I want him to go further out), I cant wait until November gets here. Also have a male Brittany I don’t think he knows any words but he will find a covey of quail and hold a point until I get there.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

My ageing doberman cross lab understands every word I say-when he doesn't choose to ignore me... :D

salty87

Commander

'squirrel' is a fun one for mine too. out, ball, food, rio (a buddy of theirs), lake, creek, ride, the sound of the car unlocking by remote, load up, crate up and BOAT!<br /><br />
dogsonthebow.jpg

ehenry

Commander

Jenny knows...truck, treat, Kyle, coon, squirrel, bath, paper, "you're breathing up all my air", and damnit.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Our golden retriever,sit,laydown,rollover,give me paw,toy,squirrel[will look up in tree too],and barks on command. Very useful with unwanted phone calls and salespeople . :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Well does your dog actually SPEAK these words?<br /><br />A couple of my parrots ask for their treats specifically by what they want, see, or smell. Peanut, seeds, apple, corn, bread, etc.<br />If he wants bread and asks for it, and I give him a peanut, he will throw it down and demand bread.<br /><br />They also call each other by name, and fly back to the other room and go inside their cage when I tell them to "go home".

vipzach

Lieutenant

4th2005-51.jpg
<br />sit, stay, load up, boat, don't say BOAT unless you are ready to go! heel, toy, ball, where is (insert someone she knows and she will find), eat, can't think of anymore right now.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

I taught my kids to get me a beer :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> A couple of my parrots ask for their treats specifically by what they want, see, or smell.
I specifically said Dog because I know that Cats are in their own little world (sorry DD). I did not, however, anticipate the above. Clearly unfair and outside of MY rules. Please delete your obviously boastful post . . . :D :D Pretty cool Roscoe. I have read that Parrots exhibit IQ of a typical 3 year old human. I have no idea, but they are obviously smart.<br /><br />I believe that our dogs TRY to talk; they just can't. :( Maggie has a very specific grunting sound that means "whatever you are doing, please keep doing it". Usually used when being petted or scratched or brushed, that type of thing.<br /><br />Bear has a very low frequency groan/growl type thing that means it is time to wake up. We only hear it on Sat. or Sun. if we have slept past about 7:00 . . . :rolleyes:

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Our pup knew a lot of words back in the day but is old now and def.Now she responds to hand jesters and attitude.You have to show her the keys for take a ride,nod at her to follow ya,and cook something for her to beg.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

To me my dog is not really a dog, he is amazingly human in my eyes, he is my best friend<br /><br />I talk to my friend not as a child but as an equal, he sleeps in my bed and though never out of the same plate he at times sits at the dinner table, he also has his own chair next to mine at the computer occassionaly some of you may have conversed with him ;) <br /><br />Is'nt the internet grand? everyone can remain anonymous, i'm so glad that Al Gore invented it :D :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My cat understands every word I say to her.<br /><br />Then she ignores it all.