What /Who are the MOST dangerous on the roadways?

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What /Who are the MOST dangerous on the roadways?

I'm not going to make any friends with the following statements.<br /><br />I personally think that drivers tests should be required once people reach age 70. They should then be retested every 5 years. It is no surprise that a persons reaction time lessens as a person ages. If a person can't pass the test, they don't get to keep their driver's license. If they pass, they do.<br /><br />This poses many problems but will make the roads somewhat safer.<br /><br />How does the person get around to go to the grocery store, pharmacy, doctor's appointments, dancing, etc.?<br /><br />Some sort of government transportation system would have to be implemented to assist seniors who are no longer safe to drive with their transportation needs. When I was a young teenager, I drove my grandmother whereever she needed. Bless her heart, she would drive 35 mph whereever she went. When we were on the highway, and people were driving 55 mph, we had so many near-accidents with people approaching her vehicle so quickly. I loved helping my grandmother so she always got all she needed "from town" and I got to drive her tan Chevy Chevette to impress all of my friends. ;) Don't laugh, I once had 5 majorette's in that thing. A serious babe magnet it was. Truth be known, they needed a ride and my grandma's car beat walking.<br /><br />Just an idea. Opinions?

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> My findings are:<br /><br />A teenager (female)- 5' to 5'4" with a cell phone attached to the ear and fake (black roots) blonde hair.
ummmm hmmmm.......
12.gif

mattttt25

Commander

you can learn a lot about people by reading the simple answers to this question. when did race or religion become an issue? bunch of ignorant a**holes.

oddjob

Commander

I just cant comment!...I'm getting ready to drive home now....ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!.....ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm!<br /><br />(deep breaths)

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

If you are an intollerant driver or an absent minded road user with the conscience of bull in a china shop, it stands to reason that you may indeed become a future victim of road rage :eek:

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

mattttt25, you need to live in the UK to see it I guess-so before you call me an A-hole think about what you're saying.<br /><br />I don't know about in the USA but it's not an uncommon sight on the UK roads to see cars heavily overloaded with muslim children. WHen you consider that the males are brought up to consider females as inferior and therefore will not obey them then you have an overloaded car with extremely badly behaved children who are ignoring and badly distracting the driver. Add to that the driver wearing a garment which can severely restrict vision in the wrong circumstances and you have a disaster waiting to happen.<br /><br /><br />I suspect the reason that the UK asian community appears to have such a poor driving standard may be a UK only phenomenon. The UK government allows asian nationals to exchange their home countries driving licence for a UK licence with no retraining for the UK roads on granting citizenship.<br />I must add at this point that I do NOT include ALL asian drivers here-young professional asians seem to have a higher driving standard than a large proportion of the UK's inhabitants-but then the majority of them are born here and take the UK driving test.<br /><br />And yes, race/religion CAN have a marked impact on your driving standards.Not in all cases granted, but your race and religion will usually (but not in all cases) determine your upbringing and consequently your attitude towards other people and the value of human life.If you place a low value on human life then your driving style will reflect this.<br /><br />I would like to point out to close this that I am not a racist-I am simply a realist who doesn't subscribe to political correctness.EVERYONE gets an equal opportunity with me-it's their own personal actions that determine my opinion of them as an individual. I am simply commenting on trends that I see.This one happened to include a race/religion. It happens.

tommays

Admiral

trying to travel on long island by FOOT,BICYCLE or MOTORCYCLE will let you no fast that there are more BAD than GOOD drivers of all types whos only care is getting there fast and knocking you down if your in there way<br /><br />tommays

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

BICYCLE riders on the back roads around here.Winding 2 lane roads that are between cornfields with no shoulder,that people average 65+ on.There is all kinds of nice trails around here,but they want to ride out in the middle of BFE and cause an accident or get killed.

dolluper

Captain

BLUE Hairs [sometimes purple] since they have their face in the rear view mirror admiring their hairdoo's and not watching where their going :eek:

11 footer

Lieutenant

A local 14y/o girl was killed in the passenger seat of her 16y/o boyfriends Saturn about two miles from my house yesterday. The 16y/o driver had just gotten his licence the day before, he's in the hospital but going to be okay, the girls dead. I knew (not very well) them both.<br /><br />The kid just got his licence and was following another car full of kids on a one lane double yellow line road, other cars got between him and his buddies and he was attempting to pass over the double yellow and got in a head on collision with a pregnate women, who was driving an SUV. <br /><br />Most 16y/o drivers aren't that bad, its just a few idiots that give all of us a bad name. I break laws while driving, and sometimes drive in "packs" with carloads of kids, but we don't go nuts passing on the wrong side of the road and stuff, never had an accident. Kids get into trouble on the road two ways, they try to empress friends, and arn't smart enough to know when to stop, then their are the girls, who don't have a freaken clue, but STILL somehow get a licence.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Fixin - ditto on your feelings about bicycle riders. We get them around here on the weekends in their little tight shorts. I think many of these folks have some sort of death wish. The roads they ride have enough shoulder for a bike (I know because I occasionally take a bike ride), but, as you stated they insist on having equal rights with motorized vehicles, riding down the middle of the lane. One of these days I'm going to lose it and "take one of them out". Just kidding... but man do they tick me off with their obvious disregard for common sense.

tommays

Admiral

i can only say about bicycles that i ride on long island with REAL tailights a REAL headlight a REAL rearview mirror and a REAL horn <br /><br />were i belong on the Shoulder of the road and can tell you that car drives have a problem not wondering out of there lane and on to the 10 ft wide shoulder and hitting people on bicycles and foot <br /><br /><br />common sense and rideing or walking in the correct place doesent seam to matter<br /><br />we get a LOT of people walking across the street with the crossing light run down<br /><br />tommays

tony779

Cadet

not paying attention is the biggest problem on the road. Most young-uns dont have very good attention spans, as you get older you lose reaction time. I think we should institute a driving program in the states like there is in Germany. It takes around 20-30 hours of actual driving with an instructor and a total of 1500-2000 bucks to finish the process. People over there pay way more attention and drive better overall. If they lose their license for various reasons, it can take 3 years and 3000 bucks to get it back. So Germans tend to drive a little better. The autobahns are awsome. Every one drives in the right lane and only use the left lane to pass. Kinda like the law is here that no one pays any attention to.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are only 2 types that scare me.<br />1. The one's that think you can stop a 80,000lb load like they can their car and;<br />2. The one's that try and see if you can.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> There are only 2 types that scare me.<br />1. The one's that think you can stop a 80,000lb load like they can their car and;<br />2. The one's that try and see if you can.
They don't scare me anymore- the only place I'll be going if I can't is over the top... :eek: