What /Who are the MOST dangerous on the roadways?

D

DJ

My findings are:<br /><br />A teenager (female)- 5' to 5'4" with a cell phone attached to the ear and fake (black roots) blonde hair. She is typically driving an import (Daddy bought) that she can't see over the dash on-seat laid too low.<br /><br />A red Honda Civic, Scion or Nissan Sentra is a sure sign of trouble. Apparently, these vehicles are NOT equipped with turn signals, brake lights and other "notification" devices.<br /><br /> :mad:

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What /Who are the MOST dangerous on the roadways?

Licensing of 16-year-old drivers and fatal crash rates involving 16-year-old drivers<br /> <br />Percentage of 16 year-olds licensed Fatal crashes per 100,000 population. <br />1993 42 31 <br />1994 42 32 <br />1995 43 35 <br />1996 41 33 <br />1997 43 31 <br />1998 43 29 <br />1999 37 29 <br />2000 37 26 <br />2001 34 24 <br />2002 32 27 <br />2003 31 23 <br /> <br />Tallahassee, Florida is loaded with drivers from age 16 - 24 due to three major Universities in the city (FSU, FAMU, and TCC). My wife has been in 3 accidents in the past 10 years. All 3 times a college student was at fault for not yielding the right of way. I've been in one accident during that time-period and was rear-ended by a high-school boy who was looking for a CD in his truck and didn't notice that traffic had stopped.

D

DJ

James,<br /><br />I see that the "fatality" crash statistics are dropping-that's good. I think that is a measure of vehicle age/safety, not attitudes/awareness. Good points though.<br /><br />For my two sons, I required that they take a REAL drivers training course. I found one that gave them a full day of classroom and eight hours, in the car-driving, with an ex-cop. All kinds of manuevers-parking, lane changing, speed control, etc.<br /><br />Best money I ever spent.<br /><br />DRIVING is a PRIVELEGE, NOT a right.

D

DJ

I had a "close one" this morning with a real "ditz". Our bumpers actually touched-no damage. I'll wait to hear from "daddy's" lawyer.<br /><br />While talking to her, she never hung up her cell phone. All I could hear her saying was: "like, you know, like you know, like this guy is pi#$%^ at me". Damn right I was. She was clearly in the wrong, making an illegal u-turn. If I had not been paying attention, I would have broadsided her.<br /><br />This girl was absolutely "clueless" to real life. She tried to blame me. I told her to get a "life and a grip". I called the Police, I was answered by: "We're busy-no damage-no fault." Pitiful, at best. Maybe a ride in a "black and white" would have enlightened her. Maybe not, she's too far gone.<br /><br />Here's a tip. Make your teenage drivers-RESPONSIBLE!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

The worst drivers are those that have no regard for the written and posted laws. Those are the ones that cause damage.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree that young people are dangerous behind the wheel. So are old people.<br /><br />But I think the most dangerous are anyone who is angry or drunk.

D

DJ

So are old people.<br />
JB, <br /><br />I used to agree, with that premise.<br /><br />However, "old folks" tend not exceed the speed limit, thus you can see them from a mile away.<br /><br />Young, "don't cares": come out of nowhere and have no clues as to the rules of the road, and don't care to.<br /><br />Senilty and attitude are two different faults. One is correctible (maybe), the other not.<br /><br />I'll give the "Greatest Generation" room.

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Having lived in AZ, and visiting many places in the U.S., I can safely say that everything I needed to know about driving in Panama I learned on the go-cart track and the bumpercars. The laws are not enforced, and it is a big game of chicken.

D

DJ

Knot,<br /><br />Being in Phoenix, I can attest.<br /><br />Being such a large/fast growing city, we have all types.<br /><br />We have Californians, New Yorkers and Midwesterners, with a few Texans thrown in-for fun, all thrown into the mix.<br /><br />Several different driving styles, on the same roadways. :eek: <br /><br />Thank God, the roadways here are modern and in good repair. Otherwise, it would be carnage.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

HEY!HEY! Us folks here in Texas are the best drivers, so watch it buster! :p

mattttt25

Commander

young kids, old people, and anyone with a cell phone strapped to their ear.<br /><br />oh, and anyone born/raised in maryland. of the 30 or so states i've lived in or traveled through, this place is the worst. not agressive or fast, just plain dumb. don't know how to merge, drive circles, use turn signals, etc.<br /><br />sorry, got worked up there for a minute.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

DJ,<br /> You nailed it pretty close. When you see one coming, you better look out.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Rabbits!<br /><br />The only accident I have ever had was skidding on a dead rabbit and ending up in a ditch.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Numero uno.. The young punk gangstas on their go-fast plastic sport bikes.... Mostly, only a danger to themselves... No helmet or proper riding attire + 150mph in a 35mph + skanky tramp on back = disaster waiting to happen... can you say road rash and skin grafts?... ;) <br /><br />Like ummm, you know, I have to agree with DJ...>as snapper smacks his chewing gum< :D Number two on my list is the teenage female w/cell phone.... <br /><br />Number three is the young punk in the "sport compact" car... Look sonny, that rice grinding hoop-dee is'nt fast, and your highly distorted, rattling liscence plate boom box with a rusted coffie can muffler moblie, does'nt impress me either... :rolleyes: <br /><br />Number four.. Any driver with a cell phone... Might as well drive drunk if your going to talk on the phone... I think the penalty for driving with cell should be the same as driving drunk...<br /><br />Now I have to say that most of the oldsters do ok out on the road.. Typically they have both hands on the wheel and they're at least somewhat alert, mainly because they're not on the phone... <br /><br />Here lately it seems like the only place oldsters get into trouble is in parking lots.. The typical oopsy is the "mistake the gas pedal for the brake, and park the vehicle inside the lobby of the store or doctors office"... :eek:

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> young kids, old people, and anyone with a cell phone strapped to their ear.
I'll second that! And add tourists.<br /><br />The problem with old people and young people both is the speed differential. <br />Old people - too slow for traffic, and reaction times that are often times too slow to handle the situation.<br />Young people - too fast for conditions and lack of experience to handle the situation. And they drive with the seat back so far that they can barely reach the steering wheel or see over the dash.<br /><br />When I was young (under 20) I nearly got wiped out by blue-hairs at least three times. The most blatant was a guy pulling out of Meijers (like Walmart) onto a five lane section of highway. He had a flashing Red light and I had RIGHT OF WAY in the left traffic lane. I was up on the curb in a driveway on the other side of the road from Meijer by the time he had his car under control. He pulled out of Meijer, ran me out of the left lane(having already crossed three lanes of traffic), out of the right lane and into the driveway, all the time looking AT me. He saw me, he just didn't care. And after all of this with my horn blowing the whole time he drove away. Never stopped, never did anything. He was old so he owned the road. In my little corner of the world this is not unusual.

Skinnywater

Commander

A teenager (female)- 5' to 5'4" with a cell phone attached to the ear and fake (black roots) blonde hair. She is typically driving an import (Daddy bought) that she can't see over the dash on-seat laid too low.<br /><br />A red Honda Civic, Scion or Nissan Sentra is a sure sign of trouble. Apparently, these vehicles are NOT equipped with turn signals, brake lights and other "notification" devices.<br />
Ummmm, this is a close call.<br />Out here it would be a well-dressed (mourning commute) high maintenence type, professional female, 30-45. The cell phone still applys. The car would be a silver Honda Accord or black BMW. <br />She's two and a half foot off your trunk latch at 77mph. You start flipping loose pennys from your center console out the sunroof. Bling...snap.....gotcha..., instant road-rage. :p

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

3 muslim families in a mercedes driven by a woman wearing a yashmak.<br /><br />Can't work out what it is but 99% of asians I see driving are arrogant, discourteous and an accident waiting to happen.<br />Is it a culture thing?

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Nos4r2:<br /> 3 muslim families in a mercedes driven by a woman wearing a yashmak.<br /><br />Can't work out what it is but 99% of asians I see driving are arrogant, discourteous and an accident waiting to happen.<br />Is it a culture thing?
Glad she wears the yashmak.... the sight of that beek would scare little kids, and adult male drivers. :D