What was your first boat?

CATransplant

Admiral
The first boat I actually owned was a little 8' El Toro plywood pram dinghy, built for rowing, not sailing. I lived on Morro Bay in California when I went back to college in 1969 after leaving the USAF.

All that water and no boat. Well, I found my little dinghy, complete with a pair of oars, at a garage sale, and gave the nice person $10, then loaded it into the back of a friend's pickup. A coat of green paint and it was ready for the water. It was named the GARCKY.

I launched it in the bay and rowed around like crazy all day. For a tiny boat, it was quite seaworthy, rowed very well, and I fell in love with it. I fished from it for starry flounder and halibut in the bay on a regular basis.

Then one day, I found an ancient Neptune outboard at another garage sale. I think it was just over 1 horsepower. Another $10, and I was on to the next stage. Miraculously, it started right up, using some 24:1 premix drained from the little 50cc two-stroke motorcycle I had at the time.

So, I clamped it on the back of that El Toro and headed out, only to be interrupted by the Coast Guard folks in Morro Bay, who told me that I now had to license my boat since it was motorized.

Well! Off I went to the local DMV office, where I declared my dinghy to be a homemade boat, was believed, and perhaps laughed at a little, since I took the boat with me to the DMV, in the back of a station wagon.

I painted the numbers on the boat by hand and was back on the water by the next morning, speeding through the water at at least 3 mph, blowing vast clouds of blue smoke out of that Neptune. I always carried the oars on board, of course, and had my orange lifejacket stowed in the bow. The same Coast Guard guys from the day before gave me a big thumbs up.

I kept this El Toro for the next three years, caught tons of fish from her, and even participated in the annual Christmas Lighted Boat Parade every year.

There were misadventures aplenty from those days of fishing in a busy small harbor. Once, I failed to notice an extreme tidal change at a full moon. I was fishing near the harbor entrance near some rocks, when I noticed that I had begun moving swiftly out to sea. The little Neptune wasn't up to the job of fighting the current, so I use the oars to supplement its minuscule power and angled off to a beach that was still inside the breakwater and waited the tide out.

Another time, a harbor seal that had to have weighed at least 400 lb decided that it needed to have the three starry flounder I had caught. Over the side came its head and the seal looked at me with its dark eyes, obviously threatening to board the boat, which was already listing heavily to port, just from the weight of the seal's head. I fed him the flounders, and fled the area.

And yet another time, I ventured into the back end of Morro Bay, again not paying much attention to the tide, which left me high and dry on the muddy flats. Oh, well, another long wait for the returning tide. In the meantime, some well-meaning passer-by on the road called the Coast Guard to report my stranding. A couple of Coasties showed up in a pickup truck and hollered to me to see if I needed assistance. "Nope," I yelled back. "The tide'll be in soon enough."

I later got a jon boat to replace the little El Toro, and gave the pram to a 12 year old boy who lived on my block. I kept the Neptune, though.

An El Toro looks a lot like this:

046sabo-stdbare.jpg

So, let's hear your very first boat stories.

mjgates

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What was your first boat?

First boat that wasn't dads was a Monterey 180 BR. Man is it different than dads boat. I thought I had some experience, and plenty of rookie mistakes later, I figured out I had a lot to learn. Launching without a plug was an exciting experience. I learned it takes quite some time for a boat to fill up, but it put me into a frenzy with the truck already on it's way to park by the time I figured it out so no option of putting it back on the trailer. Luckily its pretty easy to plug it in the water, but I was shaking for about 2 hours.

skargo

Banned

Mine was a 10' aluminum boat with a 10hp(way overpowered) Scott/Mchoulough outboard. I traded a Honda SL100 motorcycle for it. It had a bow cover so it looked like a little speedboat. I had to put a cinderblock up front when running, it served double duty as an anchor!
I was 12 years old when I got it.

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well no excitement here. This boat in the sig is my first boat, and only had it on the water two times. So with that said. No exciting stories yet. I can however say my 7 and 12 year old are over joyed with our family acquisition.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine was a 1982 Sears 13' Jon Boat. My uncle had this '67 Evinrude 3 HP Lightwin kicking around and I talked him out of it. Lots of hours with that combination. I still have both and the old Evinrude runs as good today as the day I got it.

archangelnot

Seaman Apprentice

My first boat that wasn't my parents is the one I have now and acquired in 2007. Was out garage saleing with my wife and we stopped at a house that was getting ready to be demo'd for new housing so the previous owners were selling everything and anything on the property (it was kind of a mini farm kind of place). I was looking over at this boat buryed in sticker bushes on the side of the garage that was there and the owner said if you want it, you can have it for $50.00. I figured the trailer was worth at least that, so I took it. (My wife thought I was nuts, but, she let me get away with it... LOL)

Needless to say, It cost me a lot more than $50.00 to get it back on the water after sitting there since 1992 (this was 2007 when I got her), but, I've definately had a lot of fun and learned a lot getting her back on the water. It would have been easier if I would have found this place back then, but, other than a few mistakes, I don't think I did too bad for doing it just by common sense.

However, after reading here, I've got a transom that needs a little love, so that's coming up.... I know it needs to be done, however, I just don't want to do it right now... I want to be out on the lake! LOL

CATransplant

Admiral

Good stories, everyone! Keep 'em coming. It all goes to show that being on the water is the important thing, not what you're sitting in on the water. ;)

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

my first boat was a 16' carolina skiff with an old pull start 30hp yamaha with no trim and tilt. it was a good little boat to learn and play around with, had it for years using it for inshore salt and a lot of bass fishing in florida lakes. it was slow with any kind of load in it, wet in any kind of chop, and had its fair share of running problems, but i loved it. i always managed to get back to the ramp, although sometimes very slowly. i have since upgraded a few times, but sometimes i still miss the shallow draft of that little skiff.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My first boat is the one I have now in my signature, and let me tell you what a learning experience (mercruiser 470). 1984 Galaxy 210.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I suppose, technically, the first boat I owned was an 8 foot "Sea Flea" that was given to me (by someone smart enough to get rid of it!) That thing was insane and I didn't have a death wish so I didn't keep it long.

I knew lots of people with boats so I didn't get my first real boat until my early 20's. It was a 26 foot steel cruiser (all steel including the superstructure), about 2.5 tons, deep-water V hull, full inboard with a Chrysler 383 Marine and Holley 4 barrel carburetor. It had previously been used as a tow boat on Lake Erie so it was devoid of creature comforts but it could handle any kind of weather. With that engine and prop, jamming the throttles forward sent anything that wasn't nailed down sliding to the transom (including unsuspecting people). I didn't have it too long before I got married and left home. (Should have kept the boat and dumped the fiancee LOL!)

30-odd years passed before my next and current boat, a 21 foot 1987 Sylvan "Super Cruiser" which is slowly getting rejuvenated.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

My first rig was the ubiquitous jon boat, 14'x18"x36". It was a 1950s model Delhi with a 1980s model JohnsonRude 9.9 tuned up to 15hp. The aluminum was so thin I could actually see the boat flexing when I would run it upstream on the White River. By the time I got rid of it it literally had more stuff on it than the boat was worth; rod holders, fctm, swivel seats, docking lights, etc. Funny how things like that make a boat worth so much more to the seller than to the potential buyerLOL. That's one of the many things I learned as a result of having that little rig. Another was how important it is not to overload a jon with stuff. Several jons and two pontoons later I have vowed that no matter what happens I'll never be without an aluminum jon boat.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the early 80's we purchased a 15 foot Glassmaster runabout, with a 40hp Johnson twin from a family member. I think the boat was a 1957 and the motor was a 1965, great running engine with both electric and recoil start. I have a picture somewhere if I could find it, pretty blue top deck, single bench seat and a curved plastic windshield.

We slalom skied with that boat and did deep water starts as well. This was with only the driver and one observer in the boat however, and I was a bit lighter then ;). No ladder as I remember, I think we just climbed up the motor cutout. Only kept it a year or two before getting a bigger one but it was a lot of fun anyway.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

We had a big local sporting goods store called 'Morsan', that went out of business long ago. They carried everything, tho, and my father was a boater. When I was about 12 years old I saw an inflatable boat (i guess about 8' long) there on closeout. This would've been about 1965. It had a wooden floor and molded-in wooden transom. Dad offered them $50. and I had a boat.

Dad also knew a local junk yard that sold a bunch of boat stuff, and for $10. we snagged a really beat up 5-horse Elgin outboard. I set it up in a garbage can at home and somehow got it running pretty well. It was air-cooled and I remember the powerhead getting so hot I couldn't touch it. Probably not such a good thing when the fuel tank is integral to the motor! Gotta love being young and stupid...

I used that little boat for a few years all over the place and had an absolute blast with it.

It was 40 years before I owned another boat.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

First boat I bought when I was 17. It was a 1973 AMF Crestlliner 17' runabout that the owner just plopped a new 90HP Mercury on the back. Bought it for $3500 with my own money. Still have it. My wife and I went on our first date on that boat so it's kind of hard to let go. Not to mention the motor has relatively low hours on it. If I had to name it (which I never did) it would be "Newspapers and Dirty Dishes" since I had numerous paper routes and washed millions of dishes to make the $ to buy it. :p

Shamus O'toole

Petty Officer 1st Class

first boat was a 12ft Aluminum (don't remember manufactor) with a 9hp Johnson....I think i was 10 or 11....At the time my parents had a 30ft trojan Clean Machine.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

4 man Gladding inflateable with a 2hp single cylinder Yamaha on the back. Back in the early 70's.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

88' Chris Craft Scorpio 186 bowrider with ever-loving Merc 470 that I bought on E-bay.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

One of my earliest memories as a child was when my Uncle took me for a ride in his boat. He kept the boat and many years later he gave it to me when I was in high school. It was a 14' wooden boat (built by Helton boat works here in Houston I think) with a 1959 25 Hp Gale. I sanded every inch of that boat by hand, and then repainted and varnished it. Today I own a 17' wooden boat that I built myself. (See avitar above.) I guess there are some things in life that you just never get over. ;)

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A 1975 Sea-Flite 16" closed bow that little boat was so fun. It had a Wakesha(sp) 302 and a volvo O/D. Pretty fast little setup it was tired when I bought it but was still running when I sold it. As I recall the volvo couldn't be trimmed up or tilted at all while the engine was running. So I learned how to coast into a beach pretty quick. Then anything Volvo was SUPER expensive to even have looked at let alone repaired that was IF you could find someone to do it. Sea-Flites were made right here in Utah so I thought that was pretty cool. I didn't know anything about good maint. back then an occasional oil change was about it, scheesh don't know how that thing lived so long. I remember one of the core plugs rusted thru(probably a replacement by a po along the way) and as I was cruising across the bay a buddy noticed water coming out from under the dog house. The bilge pump wouldn't keep up with the water pouring out. So we would limp along pump going and bucket bailing until we got back. :eek: