What was original equipment on this boat?

rkilpa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is there a resource to find what propeller would have come standard with a boat when new? I just acquired a used 2011 Ebbtide 2200 SS SC Fun Cruiser with the 260 HP 5.0 Mercruiser and Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive and it has a 14x20p 4 blade aluminum prop. I don't know if this is the correct prop for normal cruising in a 3500lb boat.

The prop is a little dinged up so I will have it refurbished and use it as a spare.

I would like to go with a stainless steel prop. Any recommendations on brand and size?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It might be the original prop as provided by the selling dealer. What RPM is it getting when running at WOT?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your 14x20 4-blade would be similar to a 15x21 3-blade.

What rpm ate you running at WOT, what is your top speed by GPS?

rkilpa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's just it. I haven't run at full throttle and tested for top speed yet. I will able to do this next week. Before I did, I was just curious if this is the correct prop for the boat.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
The gear ratio would be good to know, along with speed and rpm as mentioned but...
If it's any help to you, I have the same basic engine in a 18ft bow rider at 1250kgs. I also was curious to know what the original prop was, after purchase and finding the prop that was fitted was too small.
I wrote to the manufacturer to find out. They should be able to tell you.
What I can tell you is that a standard version of my boat has the following specs, which you could use as a rough guide;
Weight-2886 lbs
Engine-5.0 mpi 260hp
Gear ratio-1.47
Length-18ft
Propeller standard form is a 14x19"P black max.

If your boat has the same gear ratio, I'd imagine a 20" might be slightly over propped, given the extra weight ?
That said, with the standard 19"p Ali prop, my boat would easily hit the limiter, with the wee extra tweaks the engine has.
For all round useability I now have a 13 3/4x19"P laser 2 stainless. It suits the boat well, as long as I don't let her run flat out and trimmed up. She will touch the limiter on occasion then.
I'd imagine the same prop wouldn't be a million miles away, with regards to your boat ?
Just as long as you are within the 4600-5000 rpm rev range which it should be in.
You may even find a 17"p stainless would be well suited, depending on your use and load onboard.
Sorry for the chapter and verse, but hopefully this will give you a decent comparison.

rkilpa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alpha One Gear Ratio is 1.62. 5.0 V8 is 260HP. Boat is approx. 3500lbs. Haven't got it out to see WOT RPM's or top speed yet.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
With a 1.62 gear ratio, I think a 20 inch prop, especially a 4 blade, is kind of big for that boat.