What type wire for trolling motor?

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've replace my trolling motor, changing from a 40 to a 55, both minnkota. The wire guide in the manual says I need a 4awg pair, rated at ?105, but I don't know the type. Aluminum, I know. But is there a "type"? Like THHN or THWN, like is used in building? Just need to make sure it'll fit thru the installed conduit

gm280

Supreme Mariner
NO :nono: NO, do NOT use any house wiring or aluminum wires. Buy marine grade wires for your trolling motor. If they are stating 4 gauge wire, then buy 4 gauge marine quality wire and install it. House wires are not used in Boat. It is that simple. Marine Grade wires are tined and last the longest in marine applications. So search and buy those wires for your trolling motor and troll on without any issues. JMHO

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh! I've no intention of using house wire. In fact just pulled out a bunch PO had put in. The wire that's in there now for the troller LOOKS aluminum. But I have found the proper wire at a local marine shop @ $3.00 a foot. Now I just gotta figure out if it'll fit first!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh! I've no intention of using house wire. In fact just pulled out a bunch PO had put in. The wire that's in there now for the troller LOOKS aluminum. But I have found the proper wire at a local marine shop @ $3.00 a foot. Now I just gotta figure out if it'll fit first!

cptmarvel, are you sure the old wire is aluminum and not tinned marine wire. They do have similar looks about them. If you have a soldering iron handy, see if that old wire will solder easily. If so, it is tinned wire and not aluminum. JMHO

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
I have looked at them too. Their prices are lower than genuinedealz but they charge shipping so you have to compare to see which one ends up being cheaper.
Good point Bruce. I sometimes forget about that.

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
cptmarvel, are you sure the old wire is aluminum and not tinned marine wire. They do have similar looks about them. If you have a soldering iron handy, see if that old wire will solder easily. If so, it is tinned wire and not aluminum. JMHO

Nope. Learning as I go! That can get kinda expensive! Like being shown it online for 1.64 a foot when I was just about to get in the car and go get it for $3. Lol!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nope. Learning as I go! That can get kinda expensive! Like being shown it online for 1.64 a foot when I was just about to get in the car and go get it for $3. Lol!

Ha, nothing wrong with learning as you go. We all had to do it that same way as well. Stick with it and you will learn. There are tons of quality info on these forums. :thumb:

FillupD

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't see a problem with installing ~12-16 ft of 6 AWG tinned wire from the breaker by the batteries to an Minn Kota 6 gauge adapter into a Minn Kota plug. I crimped some 6 AWG tinned lugs on for the connections. I have ran a 6 gauge from the battery to a 60 A Minn Kota breaker then to the plug and didn't see any problems. I run to a central negative post from the deep cycle battery that eventually terminates on the neg starting battery for a ground. I'm not saying this is the correct way but it has worked fine for me. YMMV.

fishrdan

Admiral
4ga wire? How long is the total wire run, battery to TM wire connection, and back to battery again?

Blue seas wire calculator (google it) may help to find exactly what gauge of wire you need. The 55# TM will draw about 55 amps -at stall speed. Try to stay at less than 5% or less voltage drop, so when the TM is under normal load there is little voltage drop.

Last edited:

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Looking at the users manual , there is a battery cable spec vs length chart. In this case the length is specified by distance from the battery ( not the usual round trip distance ) . For a 50/55 motor, 4ga is good until 20 feet. 25 feet it is spec'd at 2ga. The CB is 60 amps. 105*C insulation and max 5 % voltage drop.

EDIT: Since I over think these things, I went to http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com and plugged in the numbers.
12v@55 amp at 40 feet ( 20 ft round trip ) @5% drop= 4ga
12v@55 amp at 50 feet ( 25 ft round trip) @ 5% drop=3ga, but 3ga is not available, 2ga.
All info matches and conforms to abyc standards.

Last edited:

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got this one fingered out. Owners manual called for 4, but not a specific type. In structural wiring, there is different insulation types and that along with the size and type conductor and application determines how many conductors can go in a conduit. That was what I was trying to figure out. Boats got conduit for the trolling motor wire. Just making sure it would hold the wire I need safely, and it will.

Issue solved. Until I get the wire anyway. Thanks everyone.