What type of wood to use for trailer bunks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: What type of wood to use for trailer bunks?

I would stick to pressure treated in the same dimension as the original bunk. The reason is this: Boat hulls are curved. If you use a heavier grade lumber, the lumber may not bend and conform to the shape of the hull, and cause permanent damage to the hull. It is important that the bunks sag a bit and not cause flat spots on the hull. Both my bunk trailers have 2x4 bunks and both have sagged under the weight of their boats. Thats a good thing because I know the boat is not being damaged.

We know that wood works, its flexable, strong and economical. Upgrading to some newer materials may not have the same characteristics that wood has.

jonesg

Admiral

I just removed the carpeted bunks, replaced with PT 2x4 and ditched the rug, the teflon pads supposedly work better but I haven't tried it yet.
I also used stainless stove bolts, countersunk into the 2x4.

The wood was wet beneath the rug, and the boat hasn't seen water since 2007.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

just don't unhook the winch before your ready to hit the water.

reelfishin

Captain

I have also seen carpet cause scratching if it gets dirty or full of sand, which is another reason to go with the Teflon bunk sliders. On those bunks I do carpet, I leave the bottom edge open to promote drying when I wrap the bunk boards. I've also used close cut outdoor carpeting with good results, it's shallow pile makes it less likely to hold sand or dirt and it's slipperier than thicker carpet.
(Its the same carpet that I've seen guys use to cover speaker or subwoofer enclosures for cars with).

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Good timing on the thread, I was on my way to pick up treated wood to replace my bunks after work today.

How about treated wood bunks with cheap trex facing? no carpet (water retention issue) required, not expensive, and strong / flexible as whatever size lumber I buy. I'm doing some boacking wood for an interior right now as well and was going to soak the new bunks with thinned epoxy to help with the water issue over time...

X-Squid

Recruit
The chemicals in pressure treated pine will corrode the staples away twice as fast as non treated wood. Use white pine and don't completely cover the back side of the bunks with carpet. Leave a couple inches wide gap where wood is exposed so the wood can dry out. Works great. My grandpa use to build boats. He showed me that trick many years ago.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Dude, this post is 11 years old..... Closed...

Welcome to the forum....:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.