What type of hydraulic fluid to use in '98 50hp Johnson? Replace relays too while I'm at it?

skoboten2day

Cadet
I've read related posts and looked elsewhere first for schematic diagrams and manuals. Power trim has been slow to go up, then stopped going up altogether. Now it's slow to go down too. Battery is fully charged. Don't think it's the relays because it sounds like it's trying. Trim has probably never been serviced on it, so what type of hydraulic fluid do you think was in there from the factory? Would I unscrew the top screw to investigate? Would transmission fluid from an auto parts store work? Should I replace the relays while I'm at it too? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 3

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
If it's red, it's ATF. If it's brown, it's SAE 30
I've read related posts and looked elsewhere first for schematic diagrams and manuals. Power trim has been slow to go up, then stopped going up altogether. Now it's slow to go down too. Battery is fully charged. Don't think it's the relays because it sounds like it's trying. Trim has probably never been serviced on it, so what type of hydraulic fluid do you think was in there from the factory? Would I unscrew the top screw to investigate? Would transmission fluid from an auto parts store work? Should I replace the relays while I'm at it too? Thanks!
I always purchased omc trim and tilt oil.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Top up the fluid and test.-----Does the trim motor work / sound normal both for up and down ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If PTT runs slow, suspect dirty electrical connections. Pull relays and look at connectors. If they are corroded, so are their wiring harness connectors.

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
you say "down eventually works"... thats usually a stiff bushing/binding issue if you need to give it a little push. does it make any creaking/groaning noises?

lindy46

Captain
It may take 6-10 cycles to get the air purged and fluid level topped up. I had to manually bring the motor up for the first few cycles. When it's up, remove the top screw and fill to overflowing. Replace the screw, bring it down, repeat until it's working properly.

skoboten2day

Cadet
you say "down eventually works"... thats usually a stiff bushing/binding issue if you need to give it a little push. does it make any creaking/groaning noises?
Not so much creaking/groaning. People seem to think air or water is making the noise. Still trying to find time/light to open the screw and inspect what fluid to get. I sprayed some WD-40 on it and let it sit. Need a chisel or some other sort of tool. Widest screw driver I have is not wide enough and I'm afraid of stripping the nut.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Not so much creaking/groaning. People seem to think air or water is making the noise. Still trying to find time/light to open the screw and inspect what fluid to get. I sprayed some WD-40 on it and let it sit. Need a chisel or some other sort of tool. Widest screw driver I have is not wide enough and I'm afraid of stripping the nut.
You need an impact driver.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221101-203455.png
    Screenshot_20221101-203455.png
    953.9 KB · Views: 1

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
Most of my tuff bolts-screws etc..... have come out easy using a 1/4 impact driver ...starting at the lowest setting. adapters are available to mount 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch sockets .

Dollar store adapters for $4 CDN a kit have proven very reliable for home (non-commercial) application with my Craftsman sockets and screw adapters for flat, philips, square & torx