What type motor oil for 3.0L? Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glassport from Newport

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What type motor oil for 3.0L? Please help

My 1988 Mercruiser 3.0 says to use 10w30. I've been using Penzoil Full Synthetic 10W30. Do you think the Fc-w label matters if you're using synthetic? The point of using synthetic is to keep the oil from breaking down.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My 1988 Mercruiser 3.0 says to use 10w30.

Where does it say that?????????

I have never seen Merc recommend 10W30 except in the trim pump. Maybe back in the early 70's , but not in the 80's on newer.

Alumarine

Captain

I have never seen Merc recommend 10W30 except in the trim pump. Maybe back in the early 70's , but not in the 80's on newer.

Not even in the early 70's either, according to my operation manual.

They just recomended straight weight 20, 30 or 40 depending on the temperature.

Glassport from Newport

Seaman Apprentice

The oil cap on my engine says 10W30. There is nothing on the cap that says Mercruiser or any other name, so it may not be the original. I don't know what the original would look like since this is my first boat and it didn't run when I bought it (cracked block).

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

The oil cap on my engine says 10W30. There is nothing on the cap that says Mercruiser or any other name, so it may not be the original. I don't know what the original would look like since this is my first boat and it didn't run when I bought it (cracked block).

Someone slapped an automotive oil cap on your engine...ignore the writing!

Go by the Mercury chart in the second post of this thread. This is the latest recommendation for all Mercruisers...regardless of age. The chart takes into account all of the oil formulation improvements that weren't even dreamed of when your engine was assembled.

Status
Not open for further replies.