What type fuel hose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I would go with the USCG A1-15 which is rated for 15% ethanol. the old grey line was not rated for ethanol.
Not to hijack a thread here...when you mention old gray fuel lines, how old? On my boat that I bought last year, the PO had replaced fuel lines with gray, but from the videos I have watched, my gray hose does not have a liner and says ethenol approved on the hose. Does this mean my hose is a newer version??

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I don't know anything about canukistan but in the US the USCG has stability test and floatation requirements for recreational small craft. For example, to much power can cause to much heeling at speed, causing the aft gunnels to go underwater. To much weight will affect the cockpit drain system. All recreational vessels 20 feet and longer are required to have self-draining cockpits. To much power/weight will affect the cockpit drain system, potentially rendering it useless.
canukistan?

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
Who are you replying to?
I'm inquiring about the hoses ON the outboard.
And why would you recommend the same crappy gray fuel line that others in this thread have criticized? The same gray hose for which there are so many online articles and YouTubes recommending you replace that gray vinyl junk with good ethanol-approved R7 or R14 hose that won't get stiff, degrade & plug up the primer bulb check valves & your motor's fuel filter.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Who are you replying to?
I'm inquiring about the hoses ON the outboard.
And why would you recommend the same crappy gray fuel line that others in this thread have criticized? The same gray hose for which there are so many online articles and YouTubes recommending you replace that gray vinyl junk with good ethanol-approved R7 or R14 hose that won't get stiff, degrade & plug up the primer bulb check valves & your motor's fuel filter.
Not to you. I answered your questions about the line. The colored stuff gets hard over time. I would use the black furl injection line. The gray line is terrible.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Not to you. I answered your questions about the line. The colored stuff gets hard over time. I would use the black furl injection line. The gray line is terrible.
The gray line I now have is the first I have ever owned, was replaced by the previous owner two years back. Mine has no liner inside, the gray is translucent, you can see the fuel inside if you hold it to the light. So far still soft and pliable, ethenol approved, so....is this the same stuff that everyone is talking about ?? Or is this stuff a new and improved hose ?

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
The gray line I now have is the first I have ever owned, was replaced by the previous owner two years back. Mine has no liner inside, the gray is translucent, you can see the fuel inside if you hold it to the light. So far still soft and pliable, ethenol approved, so....is this the same stuff that everyone is talking about ?? Or is this stuff a new and improved hose ?
I made the mistake of assuming the new type tubing (urethane) was an improvement. It would appear it's a step backward.
Others might know for sure but I would suspect a translucent hose is vinyl or urethane.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I made the mistake of assuming the new type tubing (urethane) was an improvement. It would appear it's a step backward.
Others might know for sure but I would suspect a translucent hose is vinyl or urethane.
That is what the hose feels like...but there is no liner ( inside hose) as most talk about when reviewing the gray hose. Just trying to figu4re if mine is a new (improved) version.. even trimmed it back for fresh ends when I replaced the in line fiter, previous owner had a 5/16" filter on 3/8" hose, so I upgraded to a 3/8 filter to lessen any risk of leaks.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
So it was mentioned that urethane hose is sometimes used on performance snowmobiles. Because of the similarities I asked this question on a jetski forum I visit and a builder there admitted he uses it for visual 'pop' but it needs to be replaced every 5 years or so. No advantage other than looks.
Looks good/doesn't last. Not what I'm into.

015.JPG

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
So it was mentioned that urethane hose is sometimes used on performance snowmobiles. Because of the similarities I asked this question on a jetski forum I visit and a builder there admitted he uses it for visual 'pop' but it needs to be replaced every 5 years or so. No advantage other than looks.
Looks good/doesn't last. Not what I'm into.

View attachment 387416
If a snowmobile has a leaky Fuel Line, no big deal, it drains on the Ground. Not so when that occurs in Boat.

John1992

Recruit
Here is the problem with the insurance statement. People on here have advocated for overpowering boats. But now people take issue with a fuel line.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No one on here recommends overpowering a boat

Status
Not open for further replies.