What trailer brakes to get?

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 94 Caravelle that came with a single axle trailer, no brakes. The trailer and boat weigh 3600#. <br /><br />What kind do I need, and how much $$$ am I looking at? Do it myself?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What trailer brakes to get?

Hi, Chris.<br /><br />Check this place out.<br /><br />www.championtrailers.com<br /><br />They can guide you to the right stuff and sell it, too.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Bondo

Staff member

The resources I have here tell me you Need a Tandam Trailer,+ Brakes......<br />The Heaviest Rated Axle Quills I find listed are 1750lbs. Max........<br />Times 2 is Only 3500lbs......<br />You're Already 100lbs. Over the Max. Axle Rating......

ZmOz

Captain

I would look for another new/used trailer with two axles and brakes, then sell your old one.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Talk to Champion. They are the pros in trailer business.<br /><br />They offer single axles up to 5200# and all the parts that go with them.<br /><br />If you think you need tandem they can fix you up with a tandem conversion to whatever weight you think you might need.<br /><br />Back to your original question, they offer brake kits in drum or disk, surge or electric, electric over hydraulic or anything else you can think of.<br /><br />Their prices are excellent and their service and helpfulness are first rate. Tell them JB said so. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Bondo and OZ are on the mark with this one!