What tools do you keep on board / What have you fixed on the water?

artherm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What tools do you keep on board / What have you fixed on the water?

I keep a Plano tool box stuffed with all the tools mentioned, along with prop parts, gas hose fittings, and spare circuit breakers for my trolling motor. I also keep a good sharp knife. My father-in-law and I were fishing one day, with cloudy skies several miles below the dam on the river. We were back into a pump station drainage ditch. We were doing quite well catching catfish. The skies started darkening, and I told Web we better start heading back. The weather changed suddenly with wind and rain. We were fast idling out of the ditch toward the river when the boat lurched. I couldn't believe it. Someone strung a trout line across the ditch. MY prop tangled, and we were stuck. The rain was coming down heavy with lightening. I cut the trout line, and paddled to the steep bank. The water was deep, so I had to get in the water with my life jacket on floating behind the boat. I had to remove the prop w/o losing the nut and washers. I then had to cut all the line and hooks away from the prop shaft. After doing this, in the heavy rain, I carefully replaced everything, and we got out of there and headed back to the boat ramp. I have told this story many times. Without adequate tools, we would have been screwed. I have always carried a variety of tools in all my boats.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Just recently got into all this boating/fishing fun, so here goes...

I have two things, depending on how you look at them, either for or against me...
1- I am an ASE certified Technician
2- This is my first boat in 50 years on the planet...

I have tools for things that you would not imagine, or maybe you would...
I do not take them all with me when I go out on the boat, but, since it is an older boat, I do take almost everything I could possibly dream of needing.
I bought this boat as a fixer-upper, and have fixer-uppered almost everything with almost every other thing still left to do.
With that said, it is a good floater [after plugging a myriad of leaks], it hauls butt [ after doing all the maintenance on the engine and recently replacing the lower unit, so I would actually have a reverse], and it is just a blast to get out there and try to kill some fish [although lately they have been killin me].
At first, the choke didn't work right, so starting fluid was a must. I have since fixed that problem, but keep some on board JIC [Just In Case]. BTW, since it is a 2-stroke, and starting fluid does not contain any lube, I also keep a can of PB Blaster and give each carb a good shot of it before I spray in the starting fluid. Worked every time.
I always keep jumper cables, basic hand tools, fluids, electrical supplies [ including fuses and bulbs], and since this is a thirsty engine, I even carry a small 2 gallon container of pre-mixed fuel, also JIC. Although not really a tool, I also keep a reserve battery, JIC, for either starting the engine or trolling back to the dock.
So, besides the safety equipment and fishing gear, I will probably not acheive the boat's maximum speed potential until I get all the details worked out and start carrying less stuff.
Since all of my boating is in freshwater canals and Lake Okeechobee, I do not have BOAT US towing available to me, but I do have a cell phone, and usually can reach somebody if needed. Probably my wife, so she can laugh at me and call 911 or the Coast Guard:redface:
If all else fails, I try to take along a friend, or his younger child, JIC some paddling has to be accomplished;)
Until then, I will always try to be faithful to the Boy Scout motto and, "Be Prepared".
In the meantime...
Keep On Fishing and Float, Float On.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In my 16"x8" tool box with tray:

Magnetic tip screw driver
Pliers
Needle-nose pliers
Channel lock pliers
Crescent wrench
Prop nut wrench
Knife
Scissors
Diagonal cutters
Crimping tool
Wire stripping tool
Tie-wraps
Electrical tape
Fuses
Spare nav light bulbs
Boat Life Caulk
Hose clamps
Drain plug
Anchor shackle
Gear lube pump
Spare keys for boat and truck

For an extended trip, I take a more complete set of tools

Spares kept on boat:

Belts
Water separating filter
Prop and complete set of hardware for it
1 qt oil and gear lube

Publications on boat:

Boat manufacturer owner's manual
Engine and outdrive manuals

On-water repairs in six boating seasons:

Tighten various pieces of hardware
Replace prop

I try to maintain the boat in such a way that on-water repairs are not needed.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've got a bunch of old junk boat so it depends on which boat I'm in and what I'm doing. Pretty much I"m always gonna have a multi-head screwdriver, pliers, tape, and some decent size wire of some kind or at least just an old extension cord I can cut up if needed. On the water I've had to repair a fuel pump cap on an old 6 hp johnson (used piece of plastic zip lock bag under it to get me home. I've had to pull the top off the carb of my aq125a volvo i/o to clean out the carburetor, I've run a boat hot because the fan belt broke. I was in my bass boat with the Mercruiser 140 when the cam gear gave up and I had to use the trolling motor to get home....fortunately we were only about 1/2 mile away across the lake. I was fishing in the barge canal next to the steam plant when the distributor fell out of the old mercury outboard because the bolt that held it in fell out. That time I had to call for my cousin to come get me out of the river at midnight. I've still got stories to tell... been broke down PLENTY of times on the water and managed to make it home every time. I'm also the fool has run out of gas more than once. One time I even had to be towed home because the prop fell off the boat I was in. That was as embarrassing as running out of gas but a heck of a lot more expensive....

MarkySparky

Seaman Apprentice

I carry a prop wrench, and small assortment of tools in an old ammo can- they are waterproof, and mine is about 7"x10"x12" or so. Also carry assorted wire terminals, electrical tape, and duct tape. Leatherman tool in glovebox gets used a lot! Also, a hammer, and several flashlights. Jumper cables too. Spare fuses and a few other odds and ends too. I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it! And I'm happy to help other folks out with it too!