What to use to patch hole on hull of Aluminum Boat

Tinjum

Cadet
Recently bought a boat and couldn't figure out why part of the front of the boat was getting wet, and last time taking it out seen water coming out the front and realized there is a very circular hole on the bottom of the hull. This is the first boat I've owned and not sure what i should use to patch it, was thinking of Marine-Tex putty but not sure how it is with aluminum, any recommendations? the hole is around the size of my pinky diameter, still not getting much water in the boat though.

Grub54891

Admiral
Put up a picture of the damage. Other than that, taking it to a good aluminum welding shop is the best option. kind of hard to figure out what you have going without a pic or two.

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if you can get a quarter or half dollar size piece of aluminum then get that Jb weld steel stuff it would hold it fine for several years I'm sure. If you can't find an aluminum welder near you

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
A proper way to repair would be to either have it welded, or have a patch riveted over it with a permanent sealer (probably 5200) between the two pieces. You can bandaid it with other methods, but you will have to monitor it.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
+1 rivet a aluminum patch with 5200 sealant. it will still be there when the boat has corroded away :).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
without pics we're guessing

could be a thru-hull fitting missing, could be a rivet missing, could be a bullet hole, could be someone loaded treated lumber in the hull and used the hull as a ground source

airshot

Vice Admiral
Yes...why is that hole there should be important !! If a lost rivet, no problem....if caused from corrosion, then that could be a bigger issue !!

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
quick fix, nut and bolt with flat washers on both sides with some sealant. jmo.

Tinjum

Cadet
Recently bought a boat and couldn't figure out why part of the front of the boat was getting wet, and last time taking it out seen water coming out the front and realized there is a very circular hole on the bottom of the hull. This is the first boat I've owned and not sure what i should use to patch it, was thinking of Marine-Tex putty but not sure how it is with aluminum, any recommendations? the hole is around the size of my pinky diameter, still not getting much water in the boat though.

Attachments

• IMG_4672.jpg
    IMG_4672.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4673.jpg
    IMG_4673.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4674.jpg
    IMG_4674.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 19

Tinjum

Cadet
Put up a picture of the damage. Other than that, taking it to a good aluminum welding shop is the best option. kind of hard to figure out what you have going without a pic or two.
I replied to the post with pictures if you'd like to take a look

Tinjum

Cadet
without pics we're guessing

could be a thru-hull fitting missing, could be a rivet missing, could be a bullet hole, could be someone loaded treated lumber in the hull and used the hull as a ground source
I replied to the post with pictures i could get, in a awkward spot on the trailer

flashback

Captain
I agree with bullet hole theory but no matter what caused it unfortunately it's in a tough area for repair..5200 for sealer and a shaped aluminum patch riveted on is the best I can think of..

airshot

Vice Admiral
Looks like it could be a drain hole for the strake. Can you see the hole from the inside ?? Often they put a drain hole in the strake, but after time the water in the strake finds it way up thru the rivet heads and into the boat. If it is in the strake not sure you want to plug it, instead seal the rivets.

Grub54891

Admiral
It sure looks like a bullet hole being not centered on the strake. I’d have a welder touch it up As it’s below the water line.
on my duck boat, it has bullet holes from before I bought it. But mine are above the water line. The po sealed them with tar and a screw. Maby I’ll fix them properly someday but they don’t leak and I’ve had it 30 years.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Machine a custom plug.-----Threaded shank.----Install with washer / sealer / nut on the inside of boat.