what to look for

fan2448

Cadet
I am looking at buying my first boat. I am going to go take a look at a early 90's 2050 sl chaparral. Is there any common problems I should be looking for? Thanks for your help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: what to look for

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Outboard, or I/O,..??

If an I/O,...
Don't buy an OMC...
Don't buy a Yamaha....
Don't buy a Mercruiser 470 motor...
Don't buy anything powered by a Ford motor...

Good Luck...

QC

Supreme Mariner

Uhhh . . . Stringers . . . ^^^^

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

poke around the bilge floor & stringers with a screwdriver looking for soft spots, do the same thing on the transom- step on every foot of the floor looking for soft spots

go for a sea trial-test drive(offer to buy gas) and drive around at least an hour. ask the seller to show you how everything works.

if you search around this site you will find alot more info.

study up before you go and be paitent, there are lots of good boats to buy.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

I am looking at buying my first boat. I am going to go take a look at a early 90's 2050 sl chaparral. Is there any common problems I should be looking for? Thanks for your help.
Should there be a transom-mounted transducer, tabs or anything else for that matter fastened below the waterline, particularly if it is an accessory or fitting installed after it left the factory:
With boat on the trailer, raise the tongue as high as it will go and prop it up there. Wait a good while...maybe an hour or longer, if need be. Remove one or all of the transducer bracket screws and watch for anything from a water flow to any dampness at all accumulating at the hole. Run a pipe cleaner in the hole to check for any indication of moisture on the fuzz. If you observe any moisture, thank the gentleman or "gentle lady" and walk away, or if you must have that particular boat, reopen negotiations. Screw-holes below the waterline will leak. (The boat pictured is only a few months old). Ruined? Probably so. Damages made by someone other than the factory (included are dealers) covered by warranty? No!

CSDrainWater.jpg

cr2k

Captain

Bondo is an equal opportunity discriminator.