What to do with my two 470's?

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
I milled down an aluminum manifold quite a few years ago and it worked fine. I wouldnt take too much off though. Not sure where you would find a new one, last time I checked, they were unavailable.
Good practice (and not too much work) to remove the elbow, clean both surfaces and new gasket yearly or every two years minimum before the aluminum surface becomes too pitted to seal (and check the flappers while you are there). Certainly if you cannot buy a replacement.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That exhaust elbow looks like it’s too thin to seal. Could be an engine killer.
Like the style of boat. But it’s going to suck a ton of cash from your bank account to make it reliable.
What is the structure in front of the engines?
I think because you have one good engine it’s tempting to get a reman for the bad one, I do think you’re going to find cam damage due to the lifter.
If the engines were far enough apart a pair of 4.3s would fit great. And put out a combined 400 hp.
Not practical due to age but if you could remove that structure in front of the engines a pair of GM in line sixes might also work; Merc used them a lot in the old days. But parts for them are hard to find as well.
Too bad a pair of GM 3.0s probably don’t have the power for a boat that size

Kolbads

Cadet
I milled down an aluminum manifold quite a few years ago and it worked fine. I wouldnt take too much off though. Not sure where you would find a new one, last time I checked, they were unavailable.
Good practice (and not too much work) to remove the elbow, clean both surfaces and new gasket yearly or every two years minimum before the aluminum surface becomes too pitted to seal (and check the flappers while you are there). Certainly if you cannot buy a replacement.

@Dubed @Scott Danforth @Lou C , Thanks for the comments.

I have a cast iron manifold. I will try milling it, depending what happens next. The gasket with permatex are holding a 15 psi pressure test for now. I tried starting it yesterday, very briefly. It coughed, sputtered but no start. Pulled the plugs, all four were slightly wet with water. Coolant system is still holding 15psi very steadily, so I think it was just a bit of residual water after I'd blown it out of the cylinders by cranking and with compressed air. Will be trying again shortly.

Thanks for the tips on gaskets, Scott. For no particular reason, I didn't check NAPA here after three other suppliers didn't have rubber gasket material. There was no o-ring on on the bolts when I took the covers off, and I hadn't noticed leaking around the bolts, I reinstalled without o-rings, with permatex around the bolt hole as well as well as all of the exchange seating faces. I'll be getting the o-rings and gaskets for the next change. (Curious side note, I was surprised to find that the center of one end of the 3" heat exchanger (on my other engine, port side) was 5-10 thousandths proud of the outer edge; there was no pitting or irregularity in the surface, just a consistent slope up from the outer wall of the exchanger to the center. Hard to imagine it was designed that way, or how it could have become that way over time. Anyway, I put the end plate on and we'll see how it holds. I hadn't noticed leaks from that plate before removing them all.)

Lou, I didn't post the best photos of the elbows, and missed posting the newer one. The very thin-walled one is the old one. Here's the newer one (pretty corroded also) and the manifold, before and after filing. And the replacement(?) gasket in place of the plate and two gaskets.
1684784534001.jpeg
1684784725633.jpeg
1684784816542.jpeg1684784844444.jpeg
1684784970803.jpeg
1684785089652.jpeg

The structure in front of the engines is the diesel tank, for the espar heater. I appreciate the thoughts on repowering. I haven't given it much thought yet, but 4.3's if they are reasonably supportable still (at least more so than the 470's, from what I understand) might be what I do. I like the thought of 400 HP 😊.

I like the boat too. It's growing on me as I work on it. Speaking of which, I better get at it.

flashback

Captain
I guess it's the picture then because usually good ones I've seen are shiny. Yours looks almost lumpy. In any case the engine would run a bit rough if the new lifter was not primed with oil..

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
As they are, I wouldn’t use any of them.
They will leak & cause stuck valves & rusty cyls. I’m in salt water & here we have to be very careful with exhaust systems. Not sure if you are in salt water but it’s good to be aware of the fact that bad inboard exhaust is the # 1 cause of inboard engine damage & failure.

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did the

14 oz. Marine-Tex RM302K Marine-Tex - Gray​

then they cleaned that manifold do the marine -tex and 24hrs then sand it ...
the rusted pits bushed it ...
I was the elbow manifold and the port holes off in the winter .. drained it ...also that heat exchanger of the sea water port take it off in the winter .....