What to do with Ground Zero

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: What to do with Ground Zero

Lack of responces to this thread, leads me to believe that most people don't care!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think a lot of people are afraid of upsetting other people, so they just dont say anything.<br /><br />This is a very sensitive subject.<br /><br />There are 45 votes.<br /><br />When it all boils down, it is up to the land owner. He made the call and chose the Freedom tower.

oddjob

Commander

I stayed away from this topic because I hadn't really thought about it much lately. And because I dont live in NY or lost someone or worked in the building.<br /><br />After reading the posts, my opinion now is to rebuild exactly was was there before...nothing different....except fireproof steel on every floor which was omitted from many of the top floors due to enviromental wackoism.<br /><br />Best way to move on, underscore the raghead, and eliminate the politic infighting.

KennyKenCan

Commander

kenimpzoom,<br /><br />
When it all boils down, it is up to the land owner. He made the call and chose the Freedom tower.<br />
See, thats the problem...<br /><br />Silverstien, the property lease owner, made his decision for the replacement buildings, and they are NOT THE FREEDOM TOWER!<br /><br />Mr. Silverstein has proposed a replacement for both towers lost! 2 NEW TOWERS TO REPLACE THE 2 TOWERS LOST!! <br /><br />The Lower Manhattan Development Corp. (LMDC) rejected those plans, stating, Mr. Silverstien doesn't know what the city needs!<br /><br />All I know is that Mr. Silverstien cannot even collect the insurance monies owed to him for the loss of the WTC! His insurance company, on direction from the LMDC, has determined that their was only one attack upon the WTC! <br /><br />1 ATTACK?<br /><br />If my memory serves me correctly, it took 2 seperate airplanes to bring down the Twin Towers, so how can 2 aircraft, crashing into 2 seperate buildings, be considered 1 attack?<br /><br />See, this is the stuff the media doesn't report!<br /><br />These are facts, but the LMDC has so much political pull, that it can decide what you should be able to build on your property, whether you want that or not, they will build it, just because thats what they want!!<br /><br />If the LMDC wants to have free reign on that property, then they should buy the lease of that property from Mr. Silverstien.<br /><br />But guess what...Mr. Silverstien doesn't want to sell his lease, he wants to build the buildings that he rightfully wants to build, not the travisty the LMDC wants!<br /><br />So, how is it that the legal land owner has no say in what is built upon his property?<br /><br />I really wish the media could for once, report what is really happening here, not the fairy tale being told!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Where something happened should not define those souls that were lost. It site should reflect the spirit of those who were lost, those who survived and the families of all involved. <br /><br />A memorial is not a fitting response in my opinion, but if you need a memorial, I would suggest build a memorial building. Make the ground floor the memorial so anyone who enters the building will have to see it, remember the day and reflect. Leave it as open ground. Then rebuild, cuz that defines the spirit of America IMO. Nothing less than what was there prior to the attacks and as big and modern as possible. <br /><br />I feel for the families of those who were lost, but allowing for a hole in the center of Manhatten, and in the skyline, defines our defeat not our response to this national tragedy.

Carphunter

Commander

Kenny, I did not comment only because I really didn't know what to say, and I didn't want to upset anyone.<br /><br />My lack of response was not because I don't care.<br /><br />Here I go, and sorry if I offend. The value of this property is worth rebuilding something that would be beneficial to the city.<br />Rebuilding the WTC exactly as it was is a flawed idea. We know what can happen when a building is built to this extreme height, and it is loaded with many people. It is too difficult to evacuate a building of this size in an emergency, as we all have seen.<br />We need to learn from what has happened and build something more appropriate.<br /><br />Now, as far as this being hallowed ground, I agree. But what are we going to do? If we designate every site of every tragedy as hallowed ground, then I believe there is going to be a lot of land tied up in memorials that could be put to much better use for the living.<br /><br />That doesn't mean some sort of memorial shouldn't be built......I believe it should, but not a memorial that encompasses the entire WTC site.<br /><br />I look at this in a different way then many people. I believe graveyards are a waste of space. There are thousands of acres tied up in graveyards that could be put to much better use for those folks still living. Graveyards are memorials also. <br />If you believe in God, as I do, then your body is just a rental vehicle anyway. Your time on this planet is very short compared to the time spent in eternity.<br /><br />When I die, I have asked my family to just toss me out in the woods, and let the little critters have me. Much better than wasting real estate on my dead carcass.<br /><br />Now, i'm sure someone is offended, and I am sorry for that.