What to do with Ground Zero

Ralph 123

Captain
Should they be rebuilding on Ground Zero or should it be left empty as a memorial?

ob

Admiral
Re: What to do with Ground Zero

I feel it would be more of a testament to the American spirit and respect to the families of lost loved ones ,to rebuild and not allow the misguided actions of a few create an empty void in a city of such global recognition as NY, that lost so much that tragic day.A suitable memorial could then be integrated into the new project.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

On one hand I say rebuild, not of course at public expense. It's an "in your face" emotion. On the other hand, I hate the big city concept of stacking people on top of people, so I say leave the ground empty and use it for a memorial. I think the world will not see the end of the Muslim plague for some time to come. It would be fitting to have a constant reminder of the first big blow that they struck.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What ever is put there, in all seriousness - make sure it's as terrorist-proof as humanly possible. The worst type of memorial would be one that allowed history to repeat (sorry if I sound a bit negative here). I'm certain this would already be the first item on the design criteria....

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

move forward...press on...The Past is just that..Past.<br />We are not promised tommorow, yesterday is gone. Make the most out of today.

NOSLEEP

Commander

The best memorial IMHO would be to restore the<br />site to its pre 9/11 status.<br /><br />Sercw the terrorists.<br />No disrespect to anyone intended.

rogerwa

Commander

Rebuild it bigger better and more of a representative of the things they hate.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Why not go ahead and rebuild. There are battlefields that took more lives during the Civil War than the WTC. Those battlefields now have strip malls, gas stations, housing, etc.<br /><br />If decided to be left alone as a memorial, only later generations will change it after we are gone.<br /><br />If we don't rebuild, then the terrorists will have won their objective. They not only have destroyed their target, but have prevented the US from using a piece of prime real estate.<br /><br />Thank God that they didn't have a dirty bomb on those airplanes. Otherwise the whole city would be a memorial for sure.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

build, build, build !!!<br /><br />Construction of #7 is already at 20+ floors .. (i think)<br /><br />Build larger and more magnificant than the previous buildings!!<br /> ... they were eye sores to begin with IMHO.<br /><br />Don't recall seeing changes made to the currently proposed plans but, if I were on the design commity they'd be scrapped for something more architectually appealing to further represent the status of our progressive and safe country...<br /><br />for what its worth ..

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Got to put them back, anything different ,even the name ,shows they can change the way the world works.

phatmanmike

Captain

what about the hundreds of HUMANS that are missing, that were vaporized there. would you want a big building put up where your father died?<br /><br />everybody is SOOOOO intent on pissing off the towel heads that they care less what happens to the dead fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, friends and coworkers who call that their resting place.<br /><br />i wanna see somebody who lost a loved one and hasnt found their remains say that they want to build a big f&^%ing tower. you all know just how bad we need another BIG F'ING tower.<br /><br />mike

LadyFish

Admiral

There is a group of victims families that want to footprint of the buildings preserved as sacred burial ground and protected by the State of New York from ever being built upon. I can understand their reasons.

Ralph 123

Captain

That is what prompted me to put up the poll LF. I was curious to see what you all thought..

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> There is a group of victims families that want to footprint of the buildings preserved as sacred burial ground and protected by the State of New York from ever being built upon. I can understand their reasons.
That is a bit selfish, dont you think? The ultimate memorial, would be a huge skyscraper.<br /><br />If any of my family were lost there, I would be the first one to help rebuild. I think the victims would want to rebuild also.<br /><br />You have to move on.<br /><br />I also thought they should have rebuilt in Oklahoma bombing.<br /><br />Would you rather say:<br /><br />look there, that is where the WTC used to stand, now it is a memorial<br /><br />OR<br /><br />Look there, that is where we rebuilt the WTC after we defeated those terrorists.<br /><br />Ken

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Build a missle silo there, always ready to launch. Keep it pointed toward the middle eastern area.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

A memorial might be in order, but there is no sense in the memorial being the entire area. The buildings must be rebuilt, as a symbol that the United States might be hurt, but never destroyed. They should rise again, as the phoenix rises from the ashes.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rebuilding anything exactly like what was once there would be as if we were trying to say nothing important happened there. I think whatever is built should be different, better and it will be a memorial.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Has anyone seen the plans for what they plan to build at the World Trade Center site?<br /><br />They plan on building one, 1776ft tall structure, NOT A BUILDING (there will only be 70 floors in the new "Freedom Tower"), where the terrorists took down two, 110 story buildings!<br /><br />They also plan on building 4 other smaller buildings.<br /><br />They plan on restoring the street grid thru the WTC site! THEY ARE GOING TO BUILD ROADS THRU THIS HALLOWED GROUND! <br /><br />They plan on building residentual buildings on the site, in an area that needs additional commercial space! NO ONE LIVES IN DOWNTOWN MANHATTAN NEAR WHERE THE WTC WAS! WHY BUILD RESIDENTUAL BUILDINGS WHERE COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS ARE SO DESPERTLY NEEDED? THIS IS A BUISNESS DISTRICT, NOT RESIDENTUAL! <br /><br />The construction of this politically correct building, is just that, POLITICS, nothing more!<br /><br />This is not what the City of New York needs!<br /><br />This is a travesty to those who lost their lives that day!<br /><br />There are protestors there everyday, protesting the construction of this joke!<br /><br />The majority of New Yorkers want the twin towers rebuilt, but the organization in charge of reconstruction, Lower Manhattan Development Corp.(LMDC), will not even listen to the protestors arguments!<br /><br />They claim that they know what the city needs, and they will build what they feel is needed!<br /><br />If the WTC site is constructed the way they have planned, the NY Stock Exchange has already stated that they will move out of NYC! That will bankrupt NYC and the LMDC doesn't care!<br /><br />The buildings proposed for the WTC are not what was promised to the citizens of NYC, instead, the libral egos of the local politicians are going to decide how to rebuild the city, to conform to their libral thinking!<br /><br />This rebuilding effort is a JOKE!