What to do with Cuba Detainees

Status
Not open for further replies.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What do you think should be done with the 550 enemy-combatant detainees held in Cuba ? <br /><br />Do you trust the court system to make the right decision on each of these individuals ?<br /><br />Do you really think any of these individuals will NOT come back to fight again ?<br /><br />A difficult problem... :rolleyes: <br /><br />
<br />Officials Try to 'Strike Right Balance' in Releasing Terror War Detainees<br /><br />By Kathleen T. Rhem<br />American Forces Press Service<br /><br />WASHINGTON, Dec. 20, 2004 -- U.S. officials are balancing individual rights against the need to protect American citizens in determining who to release from custody in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.<br /><br />"This is a very difficult process we're in. We don't want to let people out who will come back, fight and kill Americans or anyone else in the world," Navy Secretary Gordon England said in a Pentagon press conference today. "At the same time, we are trying to strike the right balance in terms of their rights and their freedoms."<br /><br />Proceedings began last week to hold Administrative Review Boards for the roughly 550 enemy-combatant detainees held at the naval base in Guantanamo Bay. The boards are designed to determine if each detainee is still a threat to the United States or holds any information vital to U.S. intelligence interests. If not, the individuals would be returned to the custody of their home countries or released in their home countries.<br /><br />But officials are concerned about releasing individuals who could still prove dangerous to Americans or American interests. "We do not want to release someone who will return to the battlefield to fight Americans and our allies," he said. "And this is the dilemma we have trying to strike a right balance."<br /><br />England echoed comments made by President Bush in response to a reporter's question earlier in the day. "You've got to understand the dilemma we're in," Bush said at a wide-ranging end-of-year press conference at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building here. "These are people that got scooped up off a battlefield attempting to kill U.S. troops. And I want to make sure before they're released that they don't come back to … kill again."<br /><br />The president said the government has an obligation to protect American people and "to make sure that we understand the nature of the people that we hold, whether or not there's possible intelligence we can gather from them that we could then use to protect us."<br /><br />Releasing individuals is not without risk. To date, officials have released more than 200 individuals from Guantanamo Bay through several vetting procedures that determined they were no longer a threat. At least 12 of them have since "returned to terrorism," England said.<br /><br />The secretary said that sometimes it's difficult to determine who among the detainees might return to fighting. "These are hard decisions. Every case is a different case, different set of data, different detainee, different countries," he said. "It's very, very hard to correlate this with someone's intent to return (to terrorism). So … it's a dilemma.<br /><br />"You don't want to release people who could harm Americans or other people. On the other hand, people do have rights," he added. "And so we try to make a right decision here, but they're hard decisions."<br />
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Dec2004/n12202004_2004122010.html

pjc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What to do with Cuba Detainees

"BOMB THEM"

Link

Rear Admiral

Painties on their heads are a far scream from be-heading people.. or body bombes.. I'm not going there..you can see from what I just said how I feel about it.<br />Link

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a complex problem-, how do you filter out the innocent from the guilty? And there ARE innocent being held there without charges, and without trial. Thats why they are in Cuba and not in the US, thats the only way the US gov't can get away with it.<br /><br />Bottom line is, they need to expedite the process. Its undemocratic to hold potentially innocent people without trial indefinately.<br /> <br />(pjc-very intelligent reply BTW)

NYMINUTE

Captain

They should be released quickly. Over the Atlantic Ocean, 200 miles off the Maine coast, in their birthday suits, with Chum chained around their necks.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> Its a complex problem-, how do you filter out the innocent from the guilty? And there ARE innocent being held there without charges, and without trial. Thats why they are in Cuba and not in the US, thats the only way the US gov't can get away with it.<br /><br />Bottom line is, they need to expedite the process. Its undemocratic to hold potentially innocent people without trial indefinately.<br /> <br />(pjc-very intelligent reply BTW)
In case you overlooked it, theriver, this is war. Your typical liberal ploy to turn this into a mere legal/criminal justice matter does not wash. These people have no legal right to council. The majority of them are enemy combatants who do not even conform to the conditions set forth in the Geneva Convention.<br /><br />All that being said, if there are innocents among them, every reasonable effort should be made to weed them out.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you so much for your mildly venomous critique of my intellect theriver!!<br /><br />BTW, you misspelled "indefinately". The correct spelling is indefinitely.<br /><br />In addition I would expect a person of your self professed intelligence to propose a viable solution to this particular issue. <br /><br />Originally posted by theriver:<br />"Its a complex problem-, how do you filter out the innocent from the guilty? And there ARE innocent being held there without charges, and without trial. Thats why they are in Cuba and not in the US, thats the only way the US gov't can get away with it.<br /><br />Bottom line is, they need to expedite the process. Its undemocratic to hold potentially innocent people without trial indefinately"<br /><br />Mere generalizations and pointless commentary.<br /><br />now, gentlemen, I suggest........BOMB THEM

gaugeguy

Captain

If we have gotten all the information we can from them, I say hand them back over to the Afghani government. I hear they are pretty harsh to the Taliban fighters. It would be like handing a child molester over to the boys in maximum security.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

SBN,...should you view this thread, seeking permission after the fact to continue to use the "BOMB THEM" solution.

D

DJ

We sort out the guilty from the innocent everyday, in our court system. The same holds true for the military justice system. This is not something new.<br /><br />We hold people, innocence to be determined, all the time in our legal system. The days of a promised speedy trial are long over.<br /><br />Now that Afghanistan has a duly elected government, I am all for turning them over to face the people they once terrorized.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Lets face it guys, if they didnt hate us before, they sure as hell hate us now.<br /><br />We dont live in a perfect world, and never will.<br /><br />I agree with DJ, turn them over to the Afgans and let them decide what to do. It was Afganistant they were fighting in, and it was Afgans (with the help of the USA) that they were fighting against.<br /><br />Ken

spratt

Lieutenant

Well, my old uncle would always take the unwanted <br />kittens on his farm and put them in a burlap bag along with a big rock, then toss them into the river that ran through his property...the way those things kept multipying was awful, and teh only reason he had cats anyway was to control rats, so there was no reason to feed all the excess cats...

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> Its a complex problem-, how do you filter out the innocent from the guilty? And there ARE innocent being held there without charges, and without trial. Thats why they are in Cuba and not in the US, thats the only way the US gov't can get away with it.<br /><br />Bottom line is, they need to expedite the process. Its undemocratic to hold potentially innocent people without trial indefinately.<br /> <br />(pjc-very intelligent reply BTW)
Folks, theriver must have already held court on these folks, since he is so convinced there are innocents there...would you care, river, to tell us HOW you know that one single detainee (aka, terrorist) is not guilty?

spratt

Lieutenant

35.gif

KennyKenCan

Commander

WHO CARES!<br /><br />Put them all against a wall, and open fire!!<br /><br />Problem solved!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

spratt, sounds like a waste of a perfectly good burlap sack.<br />My aunt used to just throw them in a big bucket of water and put a steel plate on top of them.<br /><br />KKC, I would like a quieter solution, like feeding the sharks.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'd "accidentally" leave one of the gates unlocked. They could all escape to Castro (where they would quietly disappear) or try swimming back to that hell hole they call home.<br />Either way we wouldn't have the cost of taking care of the b@st*rds any longer.

D

DJ

Mr. LF,<br /><br />OUTSTANDING idea!<br /><br />However, I fear that our freind :rolleyes: Castro may buy them a ticket back to the middle east, through Canada.

spratt

Lieutenant

Mr LF, the thought never crossed my mind, but I sure do like it!!! He likes to send his ingrates over here, so why not return the favor???

Status
Not open for further replies.