What to do when cold weather returns?

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had my boat winterized for the winter, but about a month ago de-winterized it and have been using it since. Forecasters are predicting temperatures in the low to mid-30s next week. I'd prefer not to re-winterize again because I will have the boat back out in two weekends. Anything I can do/need to do short of winterizing it again?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: What to do when cold weather returns?

Anything I can do/need to do short of winterizing it again?

Ayuh,... Drain All the Water out of it....

TJLMERC330

Cadet

Golf101, what kind of boat/motor ??? It's going to be in the low 30's ? Arent you in Georgia ? I think it would have to get colder than that and 'stay' that cold for a while to do any damage, but it would'nt take much to run some 'pink stuff' through the engine (can't hurt) and if you have a water taenk drain it as well ....... LMHO

Tom

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tom: Its a Volvo Penta 5.0L stern drive on a 2006 Four Winns 224. The water tank is already drained. Only supposed to stay 32-34 for two nights, with day time highs in the 50s. Thanks for your help.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

If the temp would drop below 28* for over 6 hours, ice is forming but not to the point of damage. This is providing the temps will rise into the high 30's or better by morning. It is the long period of freezing temps that continue to freeze the ice causing expansion thus breaking pieces parts. If the temps just drop briefly below freezing (providing the temps don't stray below 28*F) I personally wouldn't be too concerned. However the best insurance of no problems of freeze damage is to drain your block and manifolds. I use to add antifreeze, but with the hazards of glycol, I just drain my block/manifolds. As long as all the water is out, there is nothing to freeze. I been practicing the drain only method for the past 12 years where temps have gotten well below -0* and haven't experienced any damage. No water, nothing to freeze, simple.......SS

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

i wouldnt worry too much about it if the temps are only temporary.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

32-34 you shouldn't have any problems But if ya need just some piece of mind just hang a light bulb in the engine compartment. That will keep it toasty warm. The weather does that to us all the time in Nebraska.

I use a small heat lamp in my engine compartment. Works great even when the temps do suddenly drop into the 20's during our roller coaster weather here in Kansas. Just be sure to keep any combustibles a safe distance in front of it.