What to do about the boss

I posted about taking a job in the E.R. at the hospital that I work at. I told my boss that I wanted a date when I could leave her and start the new job and she has not given me an answer yet. In the time being the new boss is waiting for me to give her a date. SS thinks that some of the stuff boss #1 is saying to me is making me look stupid. He thinks I should go to H.R.on her and show them letters that she has given me. She has been working me to death, like working me on call for the E.R. the weekend before vacation. Help! What should I say to her I want this new job and don't want the new boss to give the job to someone else.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What to do about the boss

Do not go to HR IMO. The managers work and confide together. There may be schedualing logistics that are delaying your move. And HR may be aware of them.<br /><br />My opinion would be to remain in the dept. you are in until the move is approved. But do ask the appropriate questions regarding the move to your new position and the timing..

ebbtide176

Commander

i haven't worked in a hospital, but if its like most big businesses, those bosses don't know ea other beyond name recognition, and they probably aren't discussing you together, or you wouldn't need to be the go between on the change.<br /><br />but if you don't think you can convince them to take that upon themselves to discuss and work out, then i'd go to HR. and HR probably only knows them by name recognition, or title, but not personally. <br /><br />either way, HR should be fair & helpful. you could always tell HR you feel determined to make this change happen, and would like to know if they can help you, or at least give you advice on how to handle the situation. if it does get sticky, at least you should have HR on your side - that's their job.<br /><br />that's the way it works in the corporate world i've worked in for the last 9yrs... :D <br /><br />good luck on the job

JRJ

Commander

Don't know anything about hospitals, but I was a boss in a large outfit. If you are a good employee, you will get where you want to go in due time. Do your best every day, without whineing, and your hard work and good attatude will pay off. You and your work is noted by others, trust me. Good luck.

PW2

Commander

Forget what JRJ says. It ain't true.<br /><br />Bosses will always try to make their own lives easier, and if they have a good employee, they will try to keep them from leaving thru any means possible. You need to make some noise somehow--demand a date, keep it short (2 weeks at most) be insistent, and announce it to your new boss regardless of any objections from boss # 1

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I suggest to only go to HR as a last resort. If you go to HR you can easily be labeled as a whiner.<br /><br />Whiners are dropped quickly as there is too much liability concern.<br /><br />Just go to current boss and tell him/her that you think X date would be good for you. Dont make the boss think of a date, make them give you a yes or no answer, those are easier to get an answer from.<br /><br />Ken

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Ms Mayfloat I've worked in a lot of hospitals and you are 100% correct: all the managers talk to each other and each one knows exactly what is happening and to who and when!<br />And yes, your boss may well be trying to do the right thing by the department you are in or she may be trying to stop your move by making things difficult (been there, had that done to me, always in a hospital setting!).<br /><br />Perhaps asking the ER manager to write/phone your boss officially to work out a release date is the best solution?<br /><br />If the ER manager has offered you the post then she should have put a start date in the offer. If she didn't then perhaps you should ask for one?<br /><br />I know hospitals work to a different way than just about any other business, even although they try and run healthcare as a business!<br /><br />Good luck: you'll love ER, trust me I'm a .............boss :D <br /><br /><br />Ps: when HR answer the phone with "Hello this is HR can we help you?" I just fall about laughing ;)

Thanks everybody for the idea's on what to do. Hpoe it helps. I am looking forward to working in the E.R. I hope it will give me some well needed training for nursing clinicals.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by pjc:<br /> Do not go to HR IMO. The managers work and confide together. There may be schedualing logistics that are delaying your move. And HR may be aware of them.<br /><br />My opinion would be to remain in the dept. you are in until the move is approved. But do ask the appropriate questions regarding the move to your new position and the timing..
Do what pjc said ;)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) In the work place, like the military you are only a number!!!<br /><br />I would find out when I could start the new job and give my notice at the present job, whether it be one or two weeks notice!!! ;) :cool:

JRJ

Commander

I had a sign for people like PW2. "I can make one person happy today, this isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either".

oddjob

Commander

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> Forget what JRJ says. It ain't true.<br /><br />Bosses will always try to make their own lives easier, and if they have a good employee, they will try to keep them from leaving thru any means possible. You need to make some noise somehow--demand a date, keep it short (2 weeks at most) be insistent, and announce it to your new boss regardless of any objections from boss # 1
I agree with PW. :eek: :D ..nothing personal JRJ... :)

Guy's it is a transfer within the hospital. They can hold it up for 30 days if they wish to. The only thing I want is a start date for the other boss. I have worked for this lady for 5 years and done a very good job. When I started I didn't know how to draw blood,I learned how. I got lead tech after 1 year which is assistant boss. That should of showed her what I am made of. I don't miss work I start work early and work over time and don't complain much. So she should give me some respect? yes

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Sit tight Ms M. You will get your new position. Management and the HR folks werk together to do what those cats deem best for the business. <br /><br />BTW, congrats on the career move. my wife recently went back to werk in the medical field. She is very pleased.<br /><br />Best to you! :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

mrs. m, I'm in a big company, we have an internal career system sounds similar to yours...most likely the bosses will coordinate start dates amongst themselves, but if you happen to see new boss a comment to the effect of you're anxious to get started soon as you get a date from old boss you'll let 'im (or her) know, yada yada. Informal chat might be better in this case than formal communication.<br /><br />Whenever we get "attaboy" letters its up to us to make sure a copy gets put in our personnel file, ask around if that's something y'all do there maybe nobody told you about.<br /><br />answer your question: everybody deserves to be treated with respect; in this case sounds like boss#1 really does owe you some. She ought to be excited for you & proud somebody she trained is moving on.

PW2

Commander

LOL , JRJ!<br /><br />I get resumes in all the time, and once in a while I will interview someone just for sport.<br /><br />The other day I got one in from a kid that didn't seem to have any management experience, but listed his goal was to get a job in management.<br /><br />I talked to him for a while, and it finally became clear to me what he was looking for. I ended the interview by telling him "Sorry son, but there's only one job here where you can put your feet up on the desk, not have to know anything or do anything--and get paid for it---and that's my job and it ain't available."<br /><br />Seriously, it is important to get good people under you that you can count on, and when one wants to leave it can be a challenge to replace them. Some managers, in my experience, don't like that challenge.

JRJ

Commander

LOL, PW2....I helped folks that wanted to promote and gave favorable comments when it would help a transfer. I also helped some out the door. I missed the good ones, but at interview time, there is always a candidate with something to offer. If there isn't a challenge, where is the fun? :D

jrj, She has not made my life fun for the last mo. I have had 10 days of on call for any calls that come in. We go to the hospital day and night for industrial accidents and do drug screens and breath alcohol testing. Here it is the weekend before vacation and I am on call again. Plus during the day at work I have been the only one she sends to the hospital. I maybe on her bad side for wanting to better myself. Think?

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by PW2:<br /><br />I get resumes in all the time, and once in a while I will interview someone just for sport.<br />
I'm not surprised. :rolleyes: <br /><br /><br />Ms M,<br />It sounds as if your current boss is actually paying you the ultimate compliment. By stonewalling, she is holding onto her best direct report as long as possible. She is probably scared to death about the prospect of finding an adequate replacement for you. At any rate, as said earlier, an informal chat with your new boss will do more than confrontation or complaints could ever accomplish.<br />Good luck to you!

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

after review, i do indeed here some whining ms M. By you. Your last post inclined me to post what I did. Sterling employees will be granted internal moves, in due time. Employees who are questionable may be delayed as the managers discuss the situation. <br /><br />Please forgive me if I read your last post wrong. We all may feel slighted and our egos hurt. <br /><br />Perhaps since you are moving to ER, where fast and especially cognizant responses and evaluations are expected, you are being tested for your fortitude? Just a thought.