What to do about Hurricane Isabel?

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice
I have my boat in at a marina that is sheltered very nicely in the chesapeake, but with the hurricane possibly coming up the bay, should I pull my boat from the water?

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What to do about Hurricane Isabel?

If that is an option I would say absolutly yes. "nicley sheltered" very few things escape the effects this storm will be throwing around. Good luck!

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

I'd pull her out unless you are looking for an excuse to get a new boat.

mattttt25

Commander

we're securing for sea here in annapolis. as for pulling your boat, i'd do it if you have a trailer handy. as for me, no such luck. i'm going over tomorrow to drop the anchor and add a few hundred lines :)

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

I'd pull it. Mine's here at the house, and just got back from bringing my RV back from Rehoboth Beach. I've never won much of anything, figured why gamble now?<br /><br />Rehoboth forecasting a 20 foot storm surge.. figured all my toys on a waterfront bay site 4 feet above high tide weren't gonna live through it.

Ralph 123

Captain

Check your insurance policy. I think mine says they will pay to have it pulled ad hauled if a hurricane is forecast for the area.

JamesGY

Seaman Apprentice

either way, i hope you have insurance!

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys! I got it out last night, one less thing I have to worry about. Good luck!

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Smart move! Been through several and they're no fun. If you get high winds, they can move a boat on a trailer. Chock it up good or put some water in it to add weight [not too much, or it will get too heavy for trailer]. Remember that trees,limbs and debris are going to be flying everywhere. Protect it as much as you can.

seadogg2

Cadet

I would pull it if I could, just like the others have said. A few years ago when Fran came through our area here on the Lower Potomac River, I wish I had pulled my 24 ft. Wellcraft. We have have pictures that my wife took of me at our marina on the dock in water up to my waist trying to go out to check on the boat and lines.<br />Would not want to do that again, it was a very exhausting morning. Better to be safe than sorry about it later.<br />Good luck. We are also buttoning things down here>

mattttt25

Commander

well, best i can do is put the boat up on a lift. bottom of lift is about 2 1/2 feet above high water. just hoping we don't get too much of a storm surge, or the boat may just float off the lift...

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

A Word of Warning. Being in the insurance industry myself this question brings up a few thoughts. I have contacted one of our companys that we right with and they stated that: "IF THERE IS A HURRICANE COMMING AND THERE IS A CHANCE THAT YOUR PROPERTY COULD BE DAMAGED THAT YOU SHOULD TAKE PRECAUTIONSTO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR PROPERTY. ALSO THE COMPANY MIGHT NOT PAY THE CLAIM IF YOU HAVE NOT FOLLOWED THE WARNINGS ON THE RADIO, TV, OR SIGNS ON THE STREET. DO TO NEGLIGENCE ON YOUR PART." Im not going to reveal which company that is do to the no advertiseing rule on here, but I will tell you that it was one that deals alot with hurricanes. Just some food for thought

captain porky

Recruit

hello jacob i am in the uk we dont have that problem but i wish you luck .i have just joined the forum as i want to buy a bayliner from the states and ship it back .have never visited the states but intend to in the next month or two would baltimore be a good place to look for an older bayliner 86 to 89 24/26ft you seem to be in the best place for shipping. any help would be great thanks lance

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Not to keep this off topic post going,but what on earth would posess you to want to buy a Bayliner of that vintage and ship it to the UK?????

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

bomar does post a good thought captain porky.<br /><br />You can get an ok deal on a bayliner but from what I have seen the further south you go the cheaper the prices gets on all boats. Florida probably has the best deals. Although shipping may be more...

captain porky

Recruit

thanks jacob thats just what i need as i have no idea where to look. the reason for that vintage is thats all i can afford and thay are so much cheaper to buy in u.s.thanks lance