What to buy????

island boy

Seaman
I have recently moved to Virginia and have just bought a house. I am now in the market to buy a Jet Ski of some sort but, i have no idea what to get. I want something that is pretty fast and is reliable and somewhere in the price range of 2500 dollars. If someone out there has any advice it would be aprieciated. Thanks.

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What to buy????

At that price range you will be looking at a used, somewhere in the mid to upper 90's model. I have had good luck with Sea Doo. The 4 stroke Bombardier is nice and with 130-150 hp it will do about 50-58mph. If you want something real fast you are getting into the supercharged or turbo charged which will cost you more than what you are looking to spend. They will reach 75-80mph very quickly. About $10,000-$12,000. For what your looking for i would find a local boat trader book that lists used boats and pwc's for sale used.Sea Doo makes a good waverunner.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

For 2500 bucks you'll be shopping for a late 90's- early 00's PWC. Here's some links from Va. Craigslist:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/rvs/595063045.html
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/581545225.html
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/560439994.html

IMO you really shouldn't even consider any brand except Yamaha or SeaDoo- they seem to be the most reliable and parts are readily available. Parts can be hard to find for those "oddball" PWC's that aren't manufactured anymore.

Other considerations: 2 or 3 seater? Most 3 seaters have reverse and are more stable, but the 2 seaters are more "lively" (you can toss 'em around).

I have a '97 SeaDoo GTI 3 seater that'll run 50, which is plenty fast for me. I bought it used (with a new engine) but had a lot of trouble ($$$$) for the first 2 years. Once I got everything straightened out, it's been great BUT- as a general rule PWC's are more expensive to maintain than a "regular" boat.

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMO you really shouldn't even consider any brand except Yamaha or SeaDoo- they seem to be the most reliable and parts are readily available. Parts can be hard to find for those "oddball" PWC's that aren't manufactured anymore.

I disagree and I've worked on a good number of skis.. I'd avoid SeaDoo - I don't like the Rotax.

I'd stick with a Yamaha. Avoid Polaris and Tigershark like the plague.

I'd want a ski with an hour meter. After 100 hours, expect major engine work like rings. In your area, it should be relatively easy to fine a low hour ski in good shape. Make sure they've been winterized and make sure you water test it first... No water test, don't buy it.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with dcg9381, avoid the oddballs. But I would also consider Kawasaki along with the Yamaha. If you are going in salt water, early Tigershark and Polaris don't hold up. Have owned all four brands mentioned, was able to run the Yamy and Kawis hard, the others blew up...

island boy

Seaman

Hey guys thanks for the tips. I have been looking at som late 90s yamahas and they seem to be the best looks and condition wise. I also like the SeaDoo i have heard the same thing about the odd balls thanks for the advice.;)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

do not buy a sea don't. yammy, kawa, the sea doo's are extremely tempermental, have to have full charged battery, electronic a night mare. one of mine the engine siezed at 110 hours.