What the heck was that???

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright guys my boat mad a funny noise this morning on the water and i need yall help to help me best identify what happen......when i was running my boat this morning, from neutreal to WOT my boat made a weird noise (engine). the best way i can describe it is say you are on a 4-wheller in 5th gear and you were to down shift to first gear REALLY FAST. The noise made by my engine would be the same as that. Like The rev kicked in really fast but the boat stalled. this only happend to me once the hole trip and it never did it agian ALL DAY! It happend around 9 this morning and we took the boat out of the water at 4......So what do yall think it is. Should i check something that way it doesnt happen agian??? OR should i not even worry about it? Also this is the first time the engine has ever made a wierd noise like that EVER! Help me out guys, bc i am not engine incline! THanks, Jacob.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: What the heck was that???

Let's get some terminology figured out so we are all on the same page. You said "the revs kicked in really fast". Do you mean the engine reved up like you had the throttle wide open on your ATV and released the clutch? Then you said the boat stalled. Do you mean the engine quit or do you mean the boat slowed down but the engine was still reving really high? Give us some help here. And Yes -- you should check something! I would start by looking at the prop to see if you might have hit something. Or you may have gotten into shallow water which would slow the boat and cause the engine to rev as the motor pivoted up.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

It sounds like your engine dropped out of gear.Maybe your gear was only partly engaged.Time to check all the mechanical connections starting with your shift cable going to the hookups and connections by the engine,All the way down to your lower unit.If everything is tight and right you must check the lower unit itself.Good luck.

jbjennings

Captain

Hmmmmm,
Could be that it slipped out of gear. Or it could be that you got something on your prop like moss or such and the slip clutch let the prop spin. Or it could be that the motor cavitated and caught some air--- were you in a turn when it did it? What were you doing when the motor did this? Were you going straight/hit any waves/ in a mossy area/etc.? Did it feel like a jolt when it happened, or was it kind of a smooth "downshift"?
Curious,
JBJ

captbjack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

was you trimming up the motor? is it possible that it was cavitating?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I know exactly what it was......you just caught something on the lower unit, a bit of moss, or a submerged floating tree branch, or something, caused a bit of cavitation, where the water flow over the blades gets interupted and the pressure differential on the leading side of the blade boils the water and the resulting air ventilates the prop.

Or a little twig caught in the diffuser ring causing exhaust gas to bleed onto the blades, ventilation again.

Last week I came out of the creek where I had been in to some real shallow water, into the lake & put the hammer down, happened just like you said....I had two tiny little pieces of gravel hung in the diffuser ring, cleared 'em out & went about my business.

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys....What i did was slow down for some fisherman than i punched it, thats when it did it, I did trim my motor down when i was punching it...So by yalls explanation it sounds like i am ok?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I suspect JTex is right. It also sounds like a vacuum cutout switch engaging. What motor do you have?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

less find out the most important first. What motor is it, hp, year, model #???