What size prop do i need?

medicchip

Recruit
I Am Lookin To Maybe Speed Up My 2001 Pontoon Boat A Little. If I Change My Prop Will That Help. I Have A 40hp Mercury Bigfoot With A 9 Pitch Prop. What Size Can Go Up To. My Wot Rpm Is 5000.

DMAN1968

Seaman
Re: What size prop do i need?

Unfortunately the answer is probably not. 40 hp on a pontoon boat is considered by some to be the minimum, especially if on one 20 foot or greater. Your rpms actually seem a little low even though that prop is a 9 pitch...I don't even know if you can go lower. If you go to a higher pitch your rpms will drop and then you are getting into lugging the engine, a bad thing in all respects. You could maybe raise the motor on the transom a hole or 2 and squeeze out a few more rpms and thus a little more speed. It would be minor at best and present you with the possibility of ventilation happening, which is already an issue for most pontoons.

In my opinion (take it for such) a 40 hp bigfoot probably has a pretty good resale. Sell it and invest in a bigger motor. I did and am very pleased with what I have now. No one ever complained of too much horsepower. :)

Good luck

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: What size prop do i need?

Larger motor is probably the best choice.I don't think you will find a prop with less pitch.And I'd wonder if it would amount to much speed anyway.
If you double your hp it will only give you 8 to 10 mph and use twice as much fuel but you will have the advantage of being able to throttle down and save fuel and let your motor loaf.