What size bilge pump??

davelopn

Cadet
I have a 20 1/2 ft rinker open bow vee hull boat with a 5.7L IO motor. What size bilge pump should I buy? Any preference in brands??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: What size bilge pump??

The biggest one you have room for. You can't go too big -- just too small.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with what Silvertip says but there are always constraints. You probably only have a 3/4" discharge line so unless you want to go with a larger or additional thru hull fittings, you are probably going to be limited. I think when I replaced mine an 800 gph was the largest I could find with a 3/4" fitting. I bought Rule and changed from an internal to and external float. If you trailer your boat, don’t get an “automatic” pump that comes on every few minutes to test the water level, since it will drain your battery.

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I asked my mechanic that question, he sagely said "Depends on how fast you want to sink", so as big a one as you can put in, would be the correct answer.....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i personally run to independent bilge pumps, one with the 3 wire, that has and automatic float switch, and manual switch. on one battery and thru hull fitting. i also run a manually switched on another battery, and separate thru hull fitting. i learned the hard way by having a pump go out. while in the Fl keys last year, over a foot of water in the boat from an afternoon storm.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My plan is to do the same thing after my most recent fiasco.

I have a 500 that will be hooked to a float switch with an on-off-auto switch and a 900 on just a manual switch.

The 500 b/c it will fit all the way back in the bilge, whereas the 900 will not.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

dang...never thought about pump failure...add a second bilge pump to my upgrade list now!

Thanks!