What should I look for when going to see a used motor

10point

Seaman
I am seriously considering buying a year 2000 9.9 Johnson that a dealer has for sale on consignment. They will let me see it run in their test tank but say they haven't done a compression test on it. Is that normal? Anything I should look for?

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What should I look for when going to see a used motor

I would ask them to do a compression check when u are there..also drain the lower end fluid to see if any water intrusion..they may have changed it already...

ask what type warranty they will give you..30 days or what....or if the owner will since its on consignment..

ask if they have any prior service records on it.....

ask when the impellar was changed in the water pump....if they have done that prior to sale....

Al

10point

Seaman

I would ask them to do a compression check when u are there..also drain the lower end fluid to see if any water intrusion..they may have changed it already...

ask what type warranty they will give you..30 days or what....or if the owner will since its on consignment..

ask if they have any prior service records on it.....

ask when the impellar was changed in the water pump....if they have done that prior to sale....

Al

They said it is being sold "as is", isn't that the norm for consignment?

Here is the motor:

http://www.pcmarine.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=09511835X7K16K2010J1I15I27JPMQ2221R0&veh=1704393

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That ain't an as-is price....

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

agreed....basicly what they are saying if you buy it and have a problem ..to bad you bought it as is...tell them give u a as is price then...its a gamble...

Al

10point

Seaman

I kind of thought the same thing although when I look around ebay and craigslist the price seems pretty fair and most of those are as is.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Except PayPal would give you your money back :p

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

why would anyone buy an as is motor froma dealer???.. Isnt that why you go there> for warranty, service etc?

The fact that they havent done a test to prove its ok is odd to me..mainly becasue they are promoting the sale..and if the motor is junk, their name goes with it...

950 for 9.9HP..wow.. that a 100 a HP....

If it were me.. I would make an offer on it to the OWNER..only after he pays to get it a good bill of health...this way the place cant say it was as is..or they can but you know as is meant running!

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, $100/cc without any inspection of the motor, seems like a no risk deal on their end. I guess if it was a 1970's model I could understand an "as-is" deal, since dealers tend to shy away from them. But, this being a 2000, you would think they would inspect the thing.

jonesg

Admiral

Thats why they do it, no risk but they make a profit on it anyway.
Seeing as they have become agents for the seller, by law they must present any offer you make....no matter what they say. Make an offer.

I bought my engine the same way, I never actually met the seller.
I got a good 1994 150hp for $1500.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Thats why they do it, no risk but they make a profit on it anyway.
Seeing as they have become agents for the seller, by law they must present any offer you make....no matter what they say. Make an offer.

I bought my engine the same way, I never actually met the seller.
I got a good 1994 150hp for $1500.

I'm with Jonesg..make a rediculous offer...and see what happens..if they sqawk...then demand it be be gone through..

Hey Jonesg..do you make house calls..im 5 minutes from you...

jonesg

Admiral

Your location says Boston, are you in Canton?

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

I pm'ed you...i'm in Stoughton

10point

Seaman

I ended up buying the motor and it sure runs nice. I had them check compression and had them drain some of the lower unit oil out. I have looked around a lot and I really don't think I paid to much for this motor.