what sealant to use?

Snake2715

Recruit
Ok,<br /><br />I am pretty new to this type of thing.<br />I have recently purchased a Lone Star 15' aluminum boat. We are looking at stripping the paint and repainting it this summer. <br /><br />After a close inspection I noticed that the joints of the aluminum were sealed with some type of silicone material. Which is peeling and parts of it are missing.<br /><br />My question is after we strip the aluminum hull should I just use paintable silicone to seal these joints or is it not necessary?<br /><br />The rivets all seem to be holding fine but I want to make sure I get the right stuff.Or if sealent is even needed on an aluminum boat?<br /><br />Thanks

jagged

Seaman Apprentice
Re: what sealant to use?

Get marine sealant 5200 that stuff is amazing it doesn't shrink or peel i've had it on one on my boats n a rivets leak for 5 years an it still hasn't leaked . It's only like 5 bucks at walmart or marine store

D

DJ

I've used a product called Gluv It. It has the consistancy of very thick paint and you apply it on the inside of the boat.<br /><br />It is available at: www.westmarine.com

loredo

Cadet

The man,s telling you right, 3M 5200 , the stuff is great, I,ve even used it to seal roof leaks on motor homes.