What removes 3m 4200 off your fingers?

Expidia

Commander
Man this stuff must really work. I had to lower my outboard 1 hole yesterday and used 4200 to seal the bolts. Spread it on the bolts with my fingers and now my fingers have all grey spots on them. Gonna look real classy in a suit tomorrow in work.

I tried with a brush: bleach, mineral spirits and lacquer thinner.

It says remove with 4200 remover, but I looked in two stores for it. Seems they do not carry that product.

I have some on the inside of some of my sockets I'd like to remove too!

Thx

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What removes 3m 4200 off your fingers?

try acetone. the tools are important, it will wear off your fingers.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

What you need is a release agent. Try shaving cream and a scrub brush or cooking oil (or olive oil) and a scrub brush. Works on most substances.

Bondo

Staff member

What removes 3m 4200 off your fingers?

Ayuh,... Only 1 thing that I know of,+ that's,.......Time.....

fishrdan

Admiral

Yeah, I had that experience with Gorilla Glue (I think 4200 is, similar polyurethane based). Got it all over my hands while working with it the first time and the residue wouldn't come off. Nothing I tried would take it off and it eventually wore off after a week or so.

Give Bob's suggestion a try, I didn't try that.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Acetone is normally about the best now that its so hard to get MEK.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Try scrubbing with Coke or Pepsi. Either will remove rust and take paint off surfaces. Might help with your fingers. LOL

bhammer

Ensign

Try Acetone or Methyl Ethel Keaton (MEK). Both of which can be had at your local home improvement store. Be careful of the MEK, it will melt plastic in a hurry and is real flammable. Had a bud use it one time and it melted his watch face. :eek:

Expidia

Commander

Thx for the replies. These industrial strength glues are tough stuff.

I found a web site that shows how but it calls for the sealant remover which West and home Depot did not have anyway.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Remove-3m-4200-Sealant

Actually, I just finished caulking my bathtub and I had to keep cleaning everything with Turpentine and it wore most of it off my hands now.

The release agent like oil is a good thought. I found out that Pledge furniture spray works great on removing those sticky labels that stores stick on stuff. Peal most of the label off and than swirl a little Pledge on the sticky residual and it comes off. Does not mar most plastics (but test it first).

I have a can of adhesive remover that I use on cars like after removing emblems. But that stuff mars some plastics. I should have tried that on my hands. Gasoline is another one I should have tried.

Acetone is hard to come by.

I might have to use the 4200 again anyway. When I went up two holes last season on my O/B to cut the spray off the cav plate, I think it was 1 hole too much. So I dropped it 1 hole back yesterday. Once I test drive it I have a feeling I might wind up going back up a hole again (I hope not) but we shall see.

I should have just bought one of the those jack plates so I could adjust it whenever I want. If I have to go up a hole again I think I'll go the jack plate route. But I really don't want to kick the motor back more inches from the transom due to the added width of a jack plate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jack...Jackplate_W0QQitemZ290214331700QQcmdZViewItem

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I tend to stay on the side of caution. Some people are very sensitive to chemical burns and toxic substances. I would not want acetone or mek getting into my system.

On occasion I work in an explosives lab with real nasty chemicals and you can always tell a lab worker..... they wash their hands BEFORE they go to the bathroom ;)

Keep a close eye on your water pressure if you move the motor up..... when I did it a few years ago ....it was due to the 4 blade prop I installed.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

It can easily be removed with "Agent Orange". This is a mix of orange oil, light abrasives and heavy soap.The same stuff you see people use in workshops to get oil and grease of their hands.

bhammer

Ensign

if you have to do it again, wear gloves.:D

Expidia

Commander

you can always tell a lab worker..... they wash their hands BEFORE they go to the bathroom ;)

Holly Mackeral, now you've got me worried. Now I'm afraid to look down at my First Mate :eek: :D

bhammer

Ensign

Nevermind, didn't get the joke the first time around!

Expidia

Commander

It can easily be removed with "Agent Orange". This is a mix of orange oil, light abrasives and heavy soap.The same stuff you see people use in workshops to get oil and grease of their hands.

Sounds easier to just find a store who sells the 4200 remover for next time.

I actually started out with the rubber hospital gloves, but they started sticking to my tools!

So I threw them off and went at it buffo!

bhammer

Ensign

Where were you at 9:37AM on Sat?

Same place you were about a year ago. With 4200 all over my hands wondering now what. And getting paper towels to get the extra off just added nice blue fluff to my hands. :D

willieboy

Seaman

you can always tell a lab worker..... they wash their hands BEFORE they go to the bathroom ;)

I resemble that comment...

Lab worker for 14 years, 2 in an environmental lab that extracted soil toxins from samples at superfund sites. Between the nasty chemicals and the toxins/mutagens we were extracting, I double gloved, and then still washed my hands after the experiment was done, before I left the lab, and before I went to the bathroom...

Expidia

Commander

Follow-up: Lacquer thinner actually does work on removing 4200 on tools. I had 1 socket that still had the 4200 coated inside. I poured a little lacquer thinner in an old ash tray and soaked it for about 5 minutes. It released it all with the wipe of a rag.

This might have worked on my hands too yesterday, but I could not keep it on long enough because it was burning every little cut I had in my hands :eek:

Every try to pour a little lacquer thinner in a plastic cup? It melts right through the bottom.

Thx for all the replies.

I'm going to order the remover online for future use anyway, since I couldn't find it in my local stores.