What radio?

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What radio?

i agree not to buy used radio, i didn't think about it that way. And :) i agree not to get cb, but good vhf, i'm not trucker. I am not NEW to boating, its just been a long time since i went out last time, with my boat. I am planing to go and get safety course and have my boat checked by coast guard before i go out. Safety first, fishing and skying second.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

so, what is that i should look for in a VHF radio?

NYBo

Admiral

I am planing to go and get safety course and have my boat checked by coast guard before i go out.
When you are ready for that vessel safety check, click on the link in my signature and enter your zip code to get a list of certified vessel examiners near you. Then follow the direction to make contact. We even make house calls! ;)

so, what is that i should look for in a VHF radio?
Any new fixed-mount radio must have DSC Class D capability, so they have almost become commodity items these days. Standard Horizon and Icom seem to be the favorite brands in this forum.

cyclops2

Banned

Thanks for the DSC update NYBo.

I have a older VHF unit with that feature bult in BEFORE it was actually a activated system. who should I contact to get it activated ?

Is this site great or or not, for old guys like me who sometimes wear 2 different colored socks.

NYBo

Admiral

Thanks for the DSC update NYBo.

I have a older VHF unit with that feature bult in BEFORE it was actually a activated system. who should I contact to get it activated ?
You need to obtain a MMSI number (Maritime Mobile Service Identity). This is free and is done online right here. The MMSI number is then entered into your radio (you'll need the instructions for your particular radio). You need to be careful when entering the number because you can probably only make a limited number of entries. There are also some good links about VHF marine radio on the page.

cyclops2

Banned

Thank you sasa73 & NYBo.

The 2 of you have been a big help to me. :)

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get an 8' antenna and mount it as high as you can, it does make a difference. Also, do a search on the internet for VHF regs and channels, it will provide you with the information you need for using the VHF and the required channels to monitor.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

excuse my ignorance, what is DSC class D capability? I don't like asking for something in the store when i have no idea what that is... :)

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

excellent video!!! DSC is a must feature on vhf!
thank you UnckleWillie!! When you come down to Florida u have a cold one waiting for you.........:)

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

excellent video!!! DSC is a must feature on vhf!
thank you UnckleWillie!! When you come down to Florida u have a cold one waiting for you.........:)

Where in Fl? (hint: add your location in your avatar)

jhebert

Ensign

...'m not sure what kind of radio should get for my boat. Someone [says] CB, others VHF...so [let's] vote

There is no need to vote. You want a VHF Marine Band radio, unless you plan to talk to truckers while you are boating.