What radio?

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice
Hello. I'm new to boating world and i'm not sure what kind of radio should i get for my boat. Someone say CB, others VHF..... so lets vote and get this figured out for me............ :)
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

120_i/o

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What radio?

sasa, A VHF rig is by far the way to go for marine. They are usually built to hold up better in a marine environment, and have more power.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

VHF for marine environments. Higher communication frequencies, longer range, waterproof. CB radios generally don't belong in a boat, but there are still some boaters who use them for quick communications. Coast Guard, Marine Patrol, FWC, bridge operators, Sea Tow, etc all monitor marine VHF, not CB. They monitor channels 16 & 9.

foodfisher

Captain

10-4 Good Buddy, me and this load of chickens will come and tow you and your boat to safety.

cyclops2

Banned

Smokie & the Bandit never did a 10 -4 on water.

VHF with side bands is always a first choice in MOST American waters & offshore.

Next is a Cellphone.

Then we get DEADLY SERIOUS....a EPIRB type of emergency transmitter....life or death use only.

Now we can buy the CB radio.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Buy a floating hand held VHF radio. Icom makes good ones. Always have it with you if you are on any boat.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I agree, however, it would help to know where the OP does his boating, and what people in his area are using.

I wouldn't be without BOTH my fixed-mount and handheld VHF's, but I've read from many inland boaters right here that on many lakes, there's no local emergency help, and nobody listening to those channels. If that's the case, a CB and/or cell phone might be more valuable.

My .02

UncleWillie

Captain

Hello. I'm new to boating world and i'm not sure what kind of radio should i get for my boat. Someone say CB, others VHF..... so lets vote and get this figured out for me............ :)
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

What kind of boat are we talking about?
A 14' Jon boat or a 32'Cruiser?

How much is the budget, and do you already have a GPS onboard?
Most radios interface to the GPS, You press the EMERGENCY Button, and it transmits your location to everyone within 20 miles. :cool:

Or is a handheld what you were thinking?
Some handhelds have the GPS feature built in and they float!
This makes them useful if you have to abandon ship! :eek:

cribber

Lieutenant

Handheld VHF for most inland lakes will do based on size... here in Central Florida you get stranded on the Ocklawaha River and there is no cell coverage in the Ocala Natioanl Forest area. Head offshore or out into open water on the Great Lakes you want to opt up for a mounted unit with greater power and an external antenna.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

I have 1985 Sea ray Seville wth cabin, nothing special. No GPS yet and i don't think i'l be able to get it any time soon. I am not planing to go far out on the ocean with this boat (maybe 1 mile the most), but i want to have some kind of radio just in case. I do have cel phone but 2 ways of communicating is always better than one. After reading everything you guys wrote i think I'l get used mounted VHF radio, even CB will probably do just fine taking in the count that i'm not planing to go far out. I see EBAY have a lot of radios for sale. Its time to spend money.............$#!& &%?*@
:)
Thank you all. I really appreciate your time to help me out with this issue.

cyclops2

Banned

DO NOT buy a used / abused radio !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your life & boat depend on safety equipment. Save money on non-safety equipment.

Bondo

Staff member

I have 1985 Sea ray Seville wth cabin, nothing special. No GPS yet and i don't think i'l be able to get it any time soon. I am not planing to go far out on the ocean with this boat (maybe 1 mile the most), but i want to have some kind of radio just in case. I do have cel phone but 2 ways of communicating is always better than one. After reading everything you guys wrote i think I'l get used mounted VHF radio, even CB will probably do just fine taking in the count that i'm not planing to go far out. I see EBAY have a lot of radios for sale. Its time to spend money.............$#!& &%?*@
:)
Thank you all. I really appreciate your time to help me out with this issue.

Ayuh,.... Unless yer boatin' down an Interstate Highway,....
A CB radio is Useless....

There'll be Nobody to hear ya, unless you can reach a trucker flyin' down the nearest highway...

You need the radio everybody else is using in yer environment...

cyclops2

Banned

USCG is now allowing range checks on Channell #16 if it is not in use with a real emergency.

Check the radio & FULL length antenna BEFORE you cut any holes. Card board box is fine for atemporary antenna base.

Works great ? Bolt it in.

UncleWillie

Captain

... No GPS yet and ... I am not planing to go far out on the ocean with this boat (maybe 1 mile the most), but i want to have some kind of radio just in case. ...

Think this through...
You will be needing the radio the most when Just In Case become a Not Planned excursion.

As in, "Can someone come and give me a hand? I am drifting out way farther than I planned, and I have Lost sight of land, and I am Not quite sure where I am!"

The radios are less that $200. The antenna system will double that.
The least expensive GPS without any maps, think Hiking GPS, can store bearings to Marinas and fishing spots.
If cost is an issue, a Handheld with built in GPS may be your first choice. while saving for the installed unit.

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sasa, you did mention that you are new to boating. You need to enroll in and complete a boating safety course. Coast Guard Auxilliary or USPower Squadron are excellent and really very inexpensive. Besides the legal consequences when your are stopped by a patrol boat, for the life safety of you and your family/friends and the general public you need to know the minimum safety requirements before taking your boat on the water.

All of your questions about type of radio to use will be answered by people that know what is used in your area as well as a lot of other items like type and number of PFDs you are required to have aboard, emergency signalling devices, etc. Besides all the safety information, you will meet some nice people with a comon interest.

When things go wrong on a boat, bad things can happen fast

etracer68

Ensign

I would go with the VHF, 25 watt transmit power, and a good antena. I go out on Michigan (Milwaukee area) alot, and about 7 years ago, I was out only about 3/4 mile when I hit a submerged log, and it locked up my lower unit. I didnt have my kicker motor on at that time, and there was a nice wind from the west. I called the club on the VHF radio, and by the time they got a boat to me, I couldnt see land. I never went out again without my kicker, and always a VHF.

cyclops2

Banned

Lots ove over 200' [parts of the lakes & St. Lawrence river. To hold in a breeze would be a 40 to 60 pound anchor with 10' of chain tied to the anchor. 600' to 1,000' of line to stop most of the dragging on rocky bottom.

I would love to have a $100 bill for everytime I COULD NOT HOLD in rocks. & another $100 bill when I had to cut the line & leave a anchor. At 200' I have NO CONTROLS to free the anchor like in 20' to 40'.
I am so bad that I bought a 400' length of Nylon. Tied 1 end inside the anchor locker. Ran the loose end thru the last anchor link. Polished it. Then took the loose end & tied it to the same point as the other end.

Now a hangup is simple. Untie the rope on top, from the ring. Backup slowly. Go buy another anchor. :)

etracer68

Ensign

I knew a boat was on the way, and we stayed in radio contact. And to be perfectly honest with you all, I wasnt in any hurry to get in. That was when I met my lady, and we were just laid back.;) Its really peaceful out there.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Lots ove over 200' [parts of the lakes & St. Lawrence river. To hold in a breeze would be a 40 to 60 pound anchor with 10' of chain tied to the anchor. 600' to 1,000' of line to stop most of the dragging on rocky bottom.

I would love to have a $100 bill for everytime I COULD NOT HOLD in rocks. & another $100 bill when I had to cut the line & leave a anchor. At 200' I have NO CONTROLS to free the anchor like in 20' to 40'.
I am so bad that I bought a 400' length of Nylon. Tied 1 end inside the anchor locker. Ran the loose end thru the last anchor link. Polished it. Then took the loose end & tied it to the same point as the other end.

Now a hangup is simple. Untie the rope on top, from the ring. Backup slowly. Go buy another anchor. :)

I don't want to hijack the thread, but why not double secure your anchor line?
1) from the front with a clevis pin and

2) from the fluke with wire ties?)

In the event you can't break it loose, run the boat forward, snap the wire ties, ans pull the anchor up from the flukes.