What Products?

sincraft

Seaman
I've posted about my boat on here and now it's time to move on with some transom repair work. I have 4 , 3"x3" holes that are down to the plywood (by my doing for inspection purposes) that need covered. I want to paint the back end also once I have this all complete so it doesn't look so junkyardish with 4 or 5 patch marks hehe.<br /><br />Please suggest products that Iboats carries as I need to pickup a manual for my engine, carb kit etc etc so I want to get it all from the same place possibly. <br /><br />I posted about this and it seemed to be correct that I needed to put down poly, then mat, then two more layers of poly, then a filler? Is that correct? I just want to be sure. Also WHAT products should I use. The mat should be 1.5oz correct? What poly should I use and what filler? <br />ALso - what paint? <br />Ive seen ALOT about epoxy and poly...many saying that epoxy is better but others saying it wont bond to my current plywood and gelcoat etc? <br /><br />Also my flooring has fiberglass showing in many spots where the paint has begun to where off, also on the side inside the boat. Suggestions on floor/side paint please?<br /><br /><br />OH BTW - I have only one area that will be under water, the draintube area. I am going to have to chunk out the rotten wood around the draintube which is small, but it will need to be filled and reshaped, etc....suggestions?<br />Thanks guys..<br /><br />S

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: What Products?

When doing repairs it's best not to mix and match poly and epoxy in the same repair, either will work well for most of these repairs though.<br /><br />Epoxy will bond to most things much better than poly, but poly does bond well to poly.<br /><br />Epoxy is best for the drain tube, but it won't make much of a difference on the 3x3 patches.<br /><br />It's easier to use poly and the supplies are very easy to find, plus it costs much less. <br /><br />Use any weight mat you can find, you can pull it apart easily and just use it as needed to fill the area. If you over fill the area with glass and then sand it down, you will need little or no filler to make it smooth.<br /><br />If I was doing the repair, I would use epoxy on the drain tube and poly for the rest of it.<br />For the inside paint, go to local marine supply store, tell them what you want do and see what they have in stock, don't spend a lot of money for this paint. Get a non skid additive (normally sand) for the floor, the marine store will have that on the shelf also.

sincraft

Seaman

Hmm thanks. What about the back of the transom...what should I pain that with overall once I finish my repairs.<br /><br />Also using poly with mat isnt going to interfere with teh current build of the boat is it (not sure what it is made up)<br /><br />Ive seen a million products out there that claim to be a ONE STEP process..what do you think of these?<br /><br />Also it was my understanding that epoxy tends to shrink is this true? Or do I have it backwards? I dont want any shrinkage near the drain tubeage :) <br /><br />S<br />S

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can normally use the same paint on the outside of the transom that you will use on the inside. If you do a search in this forum on a roller and brush method you will find the details on how to get a very good finish.<br /><br />Your boat is made with poly so there will be no compatability problems with the original construction.<br /><br />Polyesters will normally shrink more than an epoxy, epoxy will also be stronger and bond better with the new drain tube. <br />Marine supply stores will have drain tubes.<br /><br />I don't think you will have any problems with this repair, but don't hesitate to post more questions.

sincraft

Seaman

eh, not too worried about the holes I created :) Mostly just want to make sure I am doing it right so that 2 months later it isn't popping out, not to mention the draintube too :) HATE doing things twice..<br /><br />Yes I think I am going to spend the money for the chemicals at the local store due to hazmat shipping fee's - it will probably even out and I can actually look at what I am buying there.<br /><br />SO many products out there - I searched Iboats and didnt find much in the way of poly...what if the boat store is the same, should I use epoxy instead?<br /><br />S

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I forgot <br /><br />I'm not sure which one step products you are talking about, only because there are so many that claim to be, in all phases renovation.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can get poly at many hardware, auto parts marine, and discount stores, you shouldn't have a problem finding it. They should have the fiberglass also.

sincraft

Seaman

I am getting the mat from iboats along with my carb rebuild kit and impeller. I wanted to get a bunch of other things, but they all ship out of different warehouses and cost even more for shipping, so it's MUCH cheaper for me to buy from the local boaterssuperstore than online in this instance...where I will also get my poly.<br />K so poly and mat will be ok for the above and below water > plywood fixes...but the draintube area is epoxy and mat correct? ALso where I chunk out the old rotten wood around the draintube, not too big of an area..maybe 3" in ~c. <br /><br />Yawn....been online looking at this stuff too long, and still have so many questions. <br /><br />OH BTW - Could you help me with ONE more thing :) I have a bunch of little dings here and there (say 1/4" wide by 1" long) where glass is ALMOST showing through...what is the best thing to repair these with..just slap some poly over it? Looks like what someone else did on the middle of the boat where the old guy that owned the boat before me kept missing the rollers hehe.