WHAT NOT TO BUY? Used Boat

newman1411

Recruit
I'm looking to buy an used boat that i cant take out in to the Tampa Bay and run around in with my friends.....skiing....fishing..... riding......

I was hoping that anyone who knew what to stay away from ?

what not to buy!

I'm looking spend like 5000 cash

bowrider, runabout..........17'18'19'

inboard/outboard

THANKS ANYONE!

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: WHAT NOT TO BUY? Used Boat

I'd look for a dual console hard floor and stay away from a bowrider with carpet.
Been there, done that.

I also favor outboards.

There are some real deals on Craigslist, but you might have to look for awhile.

D

DJ

Yup, open and easy to clean. Salt and sun wreck carpet in a hurry.

Stay away from OMC I/O's. Not that they're bad its just that OMC is out of biz and parts and service are getting scarce. If you go I/O go with MerCruiser or Volvo.

freddyray21

Commander

agree with DJ stay away from OMC outdrives. For salt water the easier to hose down with fresh water the better. Galvanized trailer at least and wash it also. Salt will eat it and the boat up if you don't.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Try to get a boat that is a wood free construction.I like outboard because it is easier to fix if you work on it your self.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are a lot of good boats on the market, negotiate price, it is a buyer market.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Center console, MAKO ,SEAFOX, PATHFINDER, PROLINE, endless choices. 18 ft. should work. Personally, I would stick with an outboard. FRED

martinrab

Cadet

I agree. Better outboard because there is less things that break. Easier to flush as well. NO OMC. Believe me, I still have a little sunbird cuddy with OMC cobra engine and it sucks like hell. Getting parts for these is very difficult and getting a mechanic who actually touches them is even harder. I had good fun with it as long as it worked but now that it's broken it's just a bugger. You can have it if you want but you have to come to Spain to pick it up. ;)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Pick TD's brain...he's in the same state and always gives good advice. Just don't buy anything on CL that needs TLC...see the related post about that.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tmc, i have to disagree about craigslist. my last 3 boats were craiglist buys. i have had to do less work on them, than many others i've bought. i have also had better luck selling on craigslist, than any other outlet.

sure ask me, my brain is real easy to pick.