What Motor Oil Do You Use?

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What Motor Oil Do You Use?

Bought some Castrol GTX 20w-50 tonight... gonna add it tomorrow... YAY!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What did you guys have for breakfast this morning......
Makes about as much sense as asking what oil I use.
Opinions on oil is like navals everyone has one, but they are all different.

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good response Don...Engine oil discussions are pretty much the same regardless of what forums you visit.. Some guy always claims (insert brand) is better when in reality? proper change intervals are 100% more important... thanks; with respect... tic

riverjet502

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The bottom line here guys is the engine manufacture recommends a certain viscosity of oil to run due to the bearing clearance?s. The great oil debate is always an interesting onging issue. I always run a good oil (I believe) change oil often and always cut the filter for inspection.

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry to bring up a tired old subject, but.... i just bought a boat and i want to change the oil in it. i'm trying not to screw up, so bring it on.

here are the numbers off my boat
99 5.0l 305 mercruiser with thunderbolt 5 ignition with alpha one drive (serial number 1.52r ol42823), transom serial number (ol294132), engine serial number (ol08644) . has 175 hours on the boat

1. do i use the service manual #24?
2. is my engine a ford or chevy?
3. the manual talks alot about quicksilver, is that what i should use if it was used before hand.
4. what oil should i use for the mercruiser drive oil reserve, engine, tranny, outdrive etc and does quicksilver make oil filters or do i buy mercruiser
5. no idea where in gainesville to buy mercruiser products, so can i order mercruiser oil/filter online?
thanks
john

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:D Dammed this thing this thread would pop up now. Just a week ago i did the winterization thing and went to Mobil 1 15-50 synth oil. The damdest thing happened, at idle the motor smoothed out big time.

Using dino oil 20-50 there was a signifigant lump at idle which gave me the impression i had a hot cam.......not really but cold she did have a bit lumpy note.... :D

However after the change the lump was gone when cold...is this something that goes along with synth oil........neva seen a engine do that before...and what could be the cost of such a dramatic change??

KaGee

Admiral

Using DELO-400, 15W-40W, K&N Filter, remote mounted.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Chevron Delo 400 straight 30 weight with Sierra Marine filters.

AaronWhitt82

Seaman

Shell Rotella 15W-40 with Napa 1069 Filter.... Considering switching to Mercruiser 25W-40 Semi-Synthetic or Full Syn with Mercruiser Filter.

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

on my 1988 3.0 mercruiser, nothing but Rotella 15w-40 and
( dare I say ) fram filter....... never had a problem

wncrjb

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I have been using 20w-50, either Castrol or Pennzoil, with
excellent results.

I don't trust the lighter weights for multi-weight formula functionality,
but the 20w-50 holds up and works fine.

Synthetic in the lighter weight will also hold up, because it is synthetic,
but it also costs much more.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

I was planning on using Synthetic 20W40 motor oil Problably MOBIL 1

And a Fram filter or an actual quicksilver / Mercruser filter.

Whats wrong with Fram as posted in an above responce?

The previous owner of my boat used some specialty synthetic oil and I thought he left me a quart but I cant seem to find it. He SWORE by this stuff and says thats all thats ever been in my 7.4 so I want to use a synthetic oil as well and it being top on mercrusers list is a good thing as well.

So 20W50 or 40? Im going with 40 as speced in my manual as posted above. My 07 185 has that chart as posted so I assume it would be good in my 93 7.4 as well.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Been using Rotella 30W and Purolater filters in my dads Twin 5.7L Merc Bluewater Inboards for about 680 hours with no problems.

On my boat I run RP 40W and a Pur. filter. 90 5.7

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

No need to beleaguer on some details,
but a clean filter is a good filter,
and a dirty filter is not a good filter.
A clean Fram filter is a good filter to use.
20w40 oil will work good for you.

Enjoy your time on the water.
I was on the water today, and it was great!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't really matter. If you use a modern oil (even the cheapest) and use the cheapest oil filter on the market, and you also change your oil and filter every 100 hrs or yearly like the manfacturer suggests, your engine will be fine.
Marine engines don't die because of oil failure, they die because of WATER!!!!!! Either in the oil because it wasn't winterized and the block cracked or because the manifolds/rises died and were never replaced when they should have been while the owners were hoping that miss fire was because of bad spark plugs or plug wires, or a dirty fuel filter, or needing a carb rebuild.
It lack of maintenance that kills marine engines. NOT the wrong type oil.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Don,

This thread is going to run until it's either killed or locked!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Don,

This thread is going to run until it's either killed or locked!

Really,Not another oil thread...:rolleyes:
I guess its good for the new guys but how many times have we been over this? Oh well,the forums are a little slow now anyway.

j_cizzo

Cadet

What brand & weight of oil do you folks use in your inboards, and what motor do you have?

We have a 1993 Sunbird Corsair with an OMC Cobra 4.3L V-6 (Chevy) engine.
Got it about 2 years ago, have had servicing done by marine center. No idea what they put in it, it has a generic-looking Group 7 (?) Oil Filter on it.

I have always used Valvoline oil in everything, for 35 years, with no problems ever. Sold my 1988 Chevy Truck with 293,000 miles on the original 5.7/350 V-8. It never tasted anything but Val 10/30 since new, when it had about 1500 miles on it.

So what do you recommend, do you use automotive oil & filters in your boats, or does marine service require something special?

Thanks! -Jim.

oh boy, the oil/filter debacle....

i've been through this a million times...

the absolute best disposible filters are the wix gold... the filter better than everything, are built incredibly strong, and flow well to boot, especially considering their filtering capacity. if you're near a napa, then you're in luck! the napa gold filters are just rebadged wix! for example, the wix equivalent of the frame ph8A is 51515, the napa gold is 1515.

the absolute WORST are the frams.. they're just cardboard and glue inside, the wix/napas are welded stainless. the fram paper element filters next to nothing. they flow the best b/c you can pass stones through them, they have to be b/c they're just glued together. i know this because I've seen them.

Amsoil is very good as is the mobil1, as is K&N, but you pay for them and they don't filter or flow any better than the wix, the wix/napa is probably still better. also, make sure you put the largest filter on. if you can, get one of those (assuming you're running and inboard or IO) dual filter mounts, they hold ph8a style filters, increase your oil capacity and also lower the pressure drop across the system.

as for oil, use the weight the manufacturer recommends, probably either straight 40 or 50 weight, or 10w-40, 20w-50. you'll find that newer engines are running with thinner oils b/c the build process and thus tolerances are tighter of the engines are more consistant and tighter.

as for synthetic vs. non-synthetic, well, there are definitely merits to synthetic, especially for a marine engine that either runs too cold or too hot. they possess much greater detergents and better film strength all around. considering you're running your engine harder than that of an automotive engine and only changing the oil once a season, I'd go with synthetic. you don't have to, but i prefer it. any full synthetic is better than non-synthetic (just stay away from the castrol, it's the furthest thing from a synthetic). if you have on available, Carquest synthetic is rebadged valvoline, which is very good, and costs half as much...

hope that helps