What Motor Oil Do You Use?

Ol'Jim

Recruit
What brand & weight of oil do you folks use in your inboards, and what motor do you have?

We have a 1993 Sunbird Corsair with an OMC Cobra 4.3L V-6 (Chevy) engine.
Got it about 2 years ago, have had servicing done by marine center. No idea what they put in it, it has a generic-looking Group 7 (?) Oil Filter on it.

I have always used Valvoline oil in everything, for 35 years, with no problems ever. Sold my 1988 Chevy Truck with 293,000 miles on the original 5.7/350 V-8. It never tasted anything but Val 10/30 since new, when it had about 1500 miles on it.

So what do you recommend, do you use automotive oil & filters in your boats, or does marine service require something special?

Thanks! -Jim.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: What Motor Oil Do You Use?

Nothing special is required. I prefer the K&N oil filters, very high flow rate AND good filtering abilty (unlike thier air filters which do not filter all that well) they are about $10 and easy to find.

For your oil, a straight 30 or 40 weight is fine, 20w40, 20w50 also would be good choices. you just don't want anything to thin in your boat engine.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stay away from 10w30 or 40.

Coors

Captain

Lol, 180;
I bought the K&N air filter, with the chems, for my wife's Mustang.
You are correct-crappola.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

We use MerCuiser oil and MerCruiser filters exclusively.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

My boat mechanic told me to use 20-50w. he said it doesnt get that cold here in So cal
Rob

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use straight 40W also here in SoCal !

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well if you're asking what does Mercury Marine suggests, Here it is.
faqs_temp.gif

go here for the NMMA info.

I use 15W40 Shell Rotella in everything I own....Including the boat... except the Franklin 6A335. In that I use AeroShell 100.

I just LOVE oil threads!

Regards,

Rick

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Stay away from 10w30 or 40.

Volvo ALWAYS recommended using 10W40 up to about 5 years ago. Then it changed to 25W40. But the 10W40 worked fine for many years, and is still recommended for the new diesels.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i use moble 1 15-50w in a 86 5.7 liter

Bondo

Staff member

another oil thread.

Ayuh,...........

Mobil 1, 15W-50 in My 4.3LX........

Mobil 1, 75W-90 in the Alpha 1 drive.........

ATF, or Hyd. Oil, Whichever is handier for the P/S,+ Trim system............

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

Most of the auto manufacturers have gone to a 5-W-30 synthetic to speed oil pumping to the valves. I could compromise and use a 5-W-40 Rotella synthetic.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most of the auto manufacturers have gone to a 5-W-30 synthetic

But when was the last time an auto engine ran up a steep hill at 3500 rpm in low gear for hours on end?

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about filters?? Where can I get 'em? Do they have to be a marine specific? What would be an appropriate over-the-counter P/N I could buy at say Autozone for a 3.0 merc?

Coors

Captain

Anything except Fram
Now an oil filter thread...
25/40; 40... try to stay for thick at hot. Your engine is under constant load.

Coors

Captain

PS, Bondo has a buddy, his name is Kevin; that knows it all.

whywhyzed

Banned

Volvo ALWAYS recommended using 10W40 up to about 5 years ago.

I'm thinking that's because Volvo always had engine oil coolers. makes it a whole different game with the engine oil being cooled- and I suspect with cold (raw) water through the engine cooler- brrrrr
Go Swedes! -Prolly drops the oil temp 50 degrees from a Mercrapper or OhMyChrist

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

After reading this thread, I went to WalMart (since it was still open of course), and went through the oil section.

They carry Quicksilver products, I noticed.

I REALLY need to do an oil change on my boat very soon and because I'm on a tight budget for now, I was considering running Castrol GTX 20w-50 once. It was only $2.88/qt. I use Castrol in everything else, so I'm not worried about brand, just the weight. Will that work OK?

Also, I was going to get a Quicksilver filter while I'm there, considering they were only $7.88. Which one would I need for my 3.0 Merc? Any ideas? They didn't have any type of guide (tho there were only 2 that said "designed for Mercruiser or GM marine engines").

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

As I understand it, a 5-W-40 would be a 40 weight oil when hot, and a 5 weight oil when cold and on initial start up. If a multiweight oil was heaver when needed, why forgo the advantages of quick pumping on initial start up? I am talking about using quality synthetics and use in engines that are brought up to operating temperature for extended periods when run.