What Mercruiser do I have?

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What Mercruiser do I have?

Great to know that :) , Can you suggest a method of testing? BTW, that third Scotch & Ginger for you was the best :D

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MarinemechI,<br />I am startig to test with one of your earlier suggestions. You said:<br /><br />
Originally posted by marinemech1:<br /> test was correct<br />see if key switch has 12v on batt terminal<br />hold in crank position should have 123v on s terminal and i terminal<br />test nuetral start switch in contol<br />switch should be a closed circut in nuetral and opened in gear<br />good luck
This is what I did: I put one lead of the meter onto a ground, the other lead onto the bat terminal on the switch. I then turned the key on and saw 11.90 DCV on the meter.I then checked the readings for the rest of the terminals. They were the same. Then I turned and held the key all the way to the right and took a reading, it was 11.90.(I was looking for that 123v you spoke of). Did I do this correctly? <br /><br />My ignition switch does not have an "S" terminal.<br />It has Bat, ACC and Ign terminals and in the center of the switch, in the rear, is a protruding terminal with no identification.<br /><br />I didn't switch around any of the wiring to the new switch when I replaced it. I did it one wire at a time making sure the new was wired identicaly to the old switch.<br /><br />I hope this isn't a confusing post.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

123v is incorrect you are looking for 12v 11.90 is pretty close<br />sorry about 123 fingers to fat for key board lol<br />b should have voltage all the time<br />a nd i have voltage key on last terminal must be s or start should have voltage only in crank position<br /><br /> 11.90 volts troubles me a little check voltage at battery if greater then 11.9 clean all battery connections if 11.9 try recharging battery i like to see 12.5

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

123v is incorrect you are looking for 12v 11.90 is pretty close<br />sorry about 123 fingers to fat for key board lol<br />b should have voltage all the time<br />a nd i have voltage key on last terminal must be s or start should have voltage only in crank position<br /><br /> 11.90 volts troubles me a little check voltage at battery if greater then 11.9 clean all battery connections if 11.9 try recharging battery i like to see 12.5