What Mercruiser do I have?

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm having a problem with the starter on my engine and want to fix it. The trouble is I can't identify the model of the engine. The serial number is 1667103. It is located on the rear right side of the engine block above the starter motor. According to the manual this could be a 120-140-160-165 or 225. How do I determine which one I have. I'm really confused!! I do know however that it is a GMC 350.<br /><br />The reason I want to know is I want to get the correct wireing diagram for the starter circuit.<br /><br />Does anyone have an idea?----------Thank you.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What Mercruiser do I have?

What year is the boat?

Bondo

Staff member

I'd say it's a 225......<br /><br />120,+ 140 are 4cyl. motors........<br /><br />160,+ 165 are 6cyl. motors...........

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

if its a 350 they were called 260 h.p or 5.7l <br />you could have an inboard or a stern drive<br />if stern drive it could be a 1 drive a 11 tr(s) alpha 1 bravo 1<br />your serial number appears low so you probably have a one drive or a tr(s)<br />what is wrong with start circut maybe we can help?

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Holy smokes, you guys are guick--------I just posted this!!<br /><br />The boat is a 1957 25' Mitchell cabin cruiser. It is no longer made. I think someone installed this V-8 as a repower unit. The leg is a 1964 II drive. Since they didn't make that leg in "57" I'm thinking they must have repowered. <br /><br />Any thoughts?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

sounds like a re-power<br />since the start circuts all work basically the same please discribe the problem your having i'm sure we can help

Don S

Well, it falls in the serial number range of a Mercruiser model 190, which is a 1963/64 model 283 engine. May have been completely repowered engine and drive.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

marinmechI <br /><br />I don't know what happened. I had the boat out last week and it ran perfectly. Went out this morning and it won't turn over. Not even a click. The batteries are up, it starts immediatly and continues to run on the first crank if I use a screwdriver across the posts of the solenoid. I bought a new ignition switch,put it in but still no luck.I used a test light on the yellow wire of the solenoid with the key in the start position but the light didn't come on. I had the light attached to the neg side of the battery. Was that right?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

test was correct<br />see if key switch has 12v on batt terminal<br />hold in crank position should have 123v on s terminal and i terminal<br />test nuetral start switch in contol<br />switch should be a closed circut in nuetral and opened in gear<br />good luck

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

your unit may have another solenoid mounted on rear of engine called a slave solenoid test there as well

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

go to outboard non repair discussions there is a post about faq electric start diagnois it may help with your trouble shooting

Don S

Did you check to make sure you had it in neutral? You can also check the start terminal on the switch if you have power there, and if the power doen't make it to the engine, it may be the neutral safety switch isn't working.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MM1<br />I'm guessing your telling me to use the brand new multi meter I bought today along with my ignition switch. I have to read the instructions first though---learn to use it correctly. I don't know what the s&i terminals are. Do they stand for "switch" and "ignition" I'm not well versed in mechanics but I'm trying to learn. The previous owner did away with the nuetral safety switch. So I don't have one. That will be a future project.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

put in a nuetral saftey switch!! i had a customer who dissable his, boat started in gear wot landed 20' on shore :eek: <br />s terminal is start i terminal (could be labled a) is ignition

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guys are too fast for me to keep up!!!!!<br /><br />Yes there is another funny looking thing in front of my solenoid. It has a nummer of posts/terminals comming out of it One of the wires goes to my starter solenoid. I don't have any idea where the other wires go. Some of them are very heavy duty looking though. Maybe this is the slave solenoid you refer to. How do I test it?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

see if there 12v on red should have 12v on small yellow while cranking black should be ground<br />should have 12v on large yellow while cranking

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tip in the outboard section MM1. I'm going to print it and study it. I'm calling it quits for tonight. Go in the house, have a Scotch & Ginger and think about what you've told me. Thanks very much.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

no probs please post back with problem and cure <br />p.s. have one for me :D

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

thats the slave all right i noticed a lot of corrosion maybe your problem test it to be sure