what marine grade wood do i get for my transom?

boatersam

Cadet
Im redoing the transom on my 75 sleekcraft..aomnst other repairs.. what marine grade should i get and any other pointers would help...thanx..

Bondo

Staff member
Re: what marine grade wood do i get for my transom?

" marine grade " <br /><br />Don't Waste your Money......<br />Get CDX sheathing,+ encapsule it in fiberglass....

BillP

Captain

I agree on using non-marine grade but here's some options:<br /><br />Marine ply = untreated<br />Marine ply = pressure treated <br /><br />Exterior ply = untreated<br />Exterior ply = pressure treated<br /><br />Contrary to some beliefs, modern pt wood is ok to use and resin will adhere to it..this is nothing new. Info can be found at the APA site but you have to do a lot of searching and reading of pdf files. Most pt processes today(well those for the last 15 yrs or so)don't use petroleum products and they were why resin wouldn't stick well. With modern processes the wood just has to be dry enough to let the resin penetrate. Marine grade is dried at the factory and exterior pt ply requires you to let it air dry. They all use the same glue but wood grades are different. <br /><br />In the big picture all transom wood is "captured" by the glass (just like stringers)and clamped together by the motor so it isn't likely to move anyway. Screws can be added to make sure the glass is mechanically fastened to the wood and hull if that is a concern too. <br /><br />The use of pt wood has been used in production boats for years and would have reared it's ugly head already if not ok.<br /><br /> http://www.apawood.org/ <br /> http://www.greenwoodproducts.com/moreproducts.htm

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I used ACX for my transom. 1 layer 3/4 inch thick, 1 layer 5/8 inch thick with a layer of heavy mat in between with a lot of resin to soak in. The mat and resin in between isn't really necessary, but I felt it helped bond the layers, and also sort of provided another relatively waterproof barrier in the transom. I screwed the layers together with stainless screws every six inches. Sheathed it all in with heavy mat and roving, it will never budge. I sealed all through fittings, drains, and bolts with 3m 5200 and called it a day....